PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Trees / Excavator vs Loader

AWJ Services
05-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I have a job that would consist of pushing over about 3/4 to 1 acre of trees(some sort of christmas trees) that are around 12 to 20 inches at the base.
I will need to prep the ground for a lawn afterwards.

My Loader contractor has both his machines down.
I have tried too contract a few others but most are weeks behind.

I may be faced with renting a machine and doing the work myself.
Was thinking maybe a JD 555 loader or a 30k Excavator with a thumb.
I have a skid steer too help move stuff.
I will need them in piles for a tub grinder.

Since I am renting I will need the machine that will get the trees up the fastest.

Any Opinions.

There is a large amount of work after the trees are removed for my equipment so without figuring out a way too get the trees out and in their budget I may loose the more profitable part.

Gravel Rat
05-21-2006, 08:35 PM
No question a excavator will do the job cleaner and faster. The grinding company that has the tub grinder won't grind the wood or brush if its loaded full of dirt. A 160 sized machine or even a 200 sized machine is the way to go make sure it has a good hydraulic thumb on it.

AWJ Services
05-21-2006, 08:59 PM
A 160 sized machine or even a 200 sized machine is the way to go make sure it has a good hydraulic thumb on it.

I am used too rating them in weight.
So are you talking about John Deere Excavators?

Also the ground here is very hard.
No rain for several months too speak of.

ksss
05-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Actually it doesn't matter. 130, 160, 200 etc. The first two number are the tonnage and correspond to the weight class, it is pretty much the industry standard. Except CAT their machines 312, 15, 20, 25 etc. the last two numbers are tonnage. Those are approximate weights of course. I would agree an excavator would be the way to go. If your biggest trunk size is 20" I would rent anything over a 24K machine. You could probably even go smaller if you have time to kill. When I do it I snap the trees with an excavator and dig the stumps out after you handle the tree. You don't have to run a chain saw and you can haul the stumps off bury them or whatever. the trees themselves can be sold or chipped without ruining chipper teeth on the rock and dirt in the stumps.

Gravel Rat
05-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Ya Cat is the only one with the oddball numbers. Deere-Hitachi-Komatsu use the numbers I meantioned. The 16 ton machines will do a decent job they are easy to move they can be moved on a tag trailer.

thepawnshop
05-21-2006, 11:10 PM
YOu should see the size of the trees I took down with my little JD 35D...took a long time, but I got it done.

Of course, I was much more comfortable once I had a 160 size machine on the site, but just about any machine can do the trick if you are careful AND patient.

Bigger does equal faster, of course...

tylermckee
05-22-2006, 03:04 AM
120-200 size machine. either push them over stump and all and buck the stumps off later, or snap them at the bottom and dig out the stump. If im saving the wood ill push it over whole. Should be able to clear it all in a day.