PDA

View Full Version : Mulching on an embankment

A1A Lawn Care
05-22-2006, 10:54 AM
These people want mulch on this emabankment, and Im trying to come up with a solution. Im thinking of using a black or transparent netting to place over the mulch to hold it in place. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated.

carcrz
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
I can't really tell from the picture, but I've seen city crews put mulch on some pretty steep hills & it seemed to stay. I doubt they were using a weed barrier though.

AGLA
05-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Ditch the mat and use stringy bark. The long shreddy bark find of locks itself up a biy. Weed mat acts like a slide.

ripple
05-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Ditch the mat and use stringy bark. The long shreddy bark find of locks itself up a biy. Weed mat acts like a slide.

Could not have said it any better!!!

I just did 15000 square on a steep hill. Luckily there was a driveway that went up at an angle so it was easy to spread the mulch...just throw it out the sides with the pitch fork!
Instead of useing landscape fabric I used preen!

A1A Lawn Care
05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
So if i ditch the weed block, can I use shedded hard wood mulch or only shredded bark. Basically she wants to know the best way to keep the weeds from coming up through the mulch. She is an older lady and can't weed that area. Thanks for your comments.

ripple
05-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Well first of all if you get ALL of the weeds out of the area thats good...then use preen to prevent any new seeds(weeds) from growing. Assuming you have a license to put down chemicals commercially. Then put the Double ground hardwood dark mulch down on the garden bed.

Ground Master
05-23-2006, 08:31 PM
search for a product called "mulchgard" - it will solve your problem