PDA

View Full Version : mushrooms all over, why???

MikeA
05-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I live in NJ

This year my lawn has come in nice and thick but I am getting mushrooms all over the place. What could the cause be?

HazyDavy
05-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Excessive dampness and decaying organic matter. Nothing to be concerned about. They won't hurt your lawn.

newz7151
05-22-2006, 05:52 PM
I live in NJ

This year my lawn has come in nice and thick but I am getting mushrooms all over the place. What could the cause be?

Maybe the hippies stopped frequenting your lawn :-) but seriously, like the other poster said, decaying organic matter : trees, etc. Was this a brand new house with new lawn? It's amazing what you'd find with today's building contractors if you were to dig up a little bit of a lawn from a new house.

VWBOBD
05-22-2006, 09:47 PM
I live in NJ

most people dont know that when mushrooms show up , it is a indicator of good fertilization and good soil quality. keep up whatever you are doing cause it is working. If the mushrooms bother you just spray with a 1:1 mixture of liquid dishsoap (non antibacterial) and water, they should disappear
, or leave them be, the sun will cause them towilt down. They may be back in the morning though.

NattyLawn
05-22-2006, 09:58 PM
most people dont know that when mushrooms show up , it is a indicator of good fertilization and good soil quality. keep up whatever you are doing cause it is working. If the mushrooms bother you just spray with a 1:1 mixture of liquid dishsoap (non antibacterial) and water, they should disappear
, or leave them be, the sun will cause them towilt down. They may be back in the morning though.

I second that. A lot of fungal activity in your soil is a good thing.

MikeA
05-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info. My lawn has never looked this good before and this year I have tons of shrooms. It sounds like it is a good thing so I will let it go. I usually just kick them over when I cut the grass. It isn't a new, it is old but in the process of bringing it back

BTW, this board is great. Being a DIY'er there are tons of people here that provide the info the I need. Now onto my next search.......blowers.

Thanks Again

garth1967
05-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Excessive dampness and decaying organic matter. Nothing to be concerned about. They won't hurt your lawn.

excatly...and probabaly too much shade

MikeA
05-23-2006, 09:15 AM
nope, not too much shade. some of the place maybe but others get alot of sun

HazyDavy
05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Definately not too much shade. I have mushrooms on sections of my lawn that get sun all day. My lawn looks great too.