PDA

View Full Version : not enough blower?

MikeA
05-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I am shopping for a blower. When I bought my house a couple of years back somebody gave me a Black & Decker electric blower. I barely use it because I don't want to deal with extension cords and stuff like that.

Now I want a gas blower. I have done my reading here and I am not sure about my conclusions. I see Stihl BG55 and Echo PB200 being recommend to home owners. From what I read they seem like they are really entry level with out much power behind them. Are they that much more powerful than an electic blower? Should I be looking at something bigger? I don't need a Porche buy I also don't want a Pinto.

I want to use it for grass cutting clean up and for leaves in the fall.

Ron's Lawncare
05-23-2006, 05:31 PM
the pb200 handheld blower will work good for blowing down the drive after mowing as long as the grass is dry. if you want to move leaves,you need a backpack style blower i wouldn't go any smaller than the echo pb403

Signature Landscaping1
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Redmax HBZ 2600, it the most powerful hand held blower they make, Plus it's strato Charged. www.redmax.com

Ron's Lawncare
05-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Redmax HBZ 2600, it the most powerful hand held blower they make, Plus it's strato Charged. www.redmax.com

actually the echo pb230 is slightly more powerfull 410 cfm 160 mph verses 367cfm and 157 mph. both are good blowers but mike asked about moving leaves too the echo pb403 backpack is rated at 800cfm and 175 mph twice the air flow of any hand held blower and it's just slightly more than those handhelds.

MikeA
05-23-2006, 11:53 PM
actually the echo pb230 is slightly more powerfull 410 cfm 160 mph verses 367cfm and 157 mph. both are good blowers but mike asked about moving leaves too the echo pb403 backpack is rated at 800cfm and 175 mph twice the air flow of any hand held blower and it's just slightly more than those handhelds.

So are you recommending the pb230 or the pb403? From the numbers it looks like the pb403. HD has them for about $300 versus $159 for the pb200. Sounds like I am going to have to spend 200-300 for something decent but for the amount I am going to use it that might be over kill. At the same time spending $150 on something that won't do the job is even worse

nmurph
05-24-2006, 10:02 AM
So are you recommending the pb230 or the pb403? From the numbers it looks like the pb403. HD has them for about $300 versus $159 for the pb200. Sounds like I am going to have to spend 200-300 for something decent but for the amount I am going to use it that might be over kill. At the same time spending $150 on something that won't do the job is even worse
actually echo plays a little game with their ratings. they measure CFM w/o the pipe to maximize the volume. they then put the pipe on, with its tapered nozzle to maximize air speed. stihl rates their blowers with the tubes on, the way they are used. a BG55 is similar in performance to the echo and shindaiwa. the BG 85 blows these machines into the weeds. it blows 341 cfm at 183mph with a flat tube and 447cfm at 125 mph with a round tube with no taper. i compared the echo/shindaiwa/redmax to the bg 55 ane they were similar in performance. then i found the bg85. it moves air like the entry level BP.

MikeA
05-24-2006, 10:18 AM
So the BG 85 is the top of the Stihl line for hand blowers? For some reason I didn't even think of starting there.

Looks like they go for about $200 so that isn't bad. This is about as good as an entry level backpack model? This model will push leaves around - no problems (I hate to rake)

Ron's Lawncare
05-24-2006, 07:26 PM
i haven't seen a handheld blower yet that has the power of a mid size backpack (Echo pb 403).there are other great blowers in this class Redmax,stihl etc i'm recomending echo because i think it will give you the most bang for you buck. i wouldn't buy a handheld if you want to move piles of leaves. any blower will work for blowing down after mowing,i use an echo pb200 a lot. when we do leaves the handhelds never leave the trailer.

Ron

MikeA
05-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I can find the BG 85 for $219 and the PB403 for $300. Is it worth the extra $80 for a homeowner?

MikeA
05-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Actually, I can get the echo at 10% (last day today from HD). How is the echo brand? As good as Stihl. For $270 seems like that might be a good deal

Ron's Lawncare
05-24-2006, 10:11 PM
echo is a good brand the 403 is a comercial quality piece.

Ron

ffemt1271
06-04-2006, 01:02 PM
you can get a shindaiwa at your dealer for about $199

MikeA
06-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I went to HD to buy the 403 ($299) and notice the handheld Ryobi RY08510 for $129. Looking at the numbers for the Ryobi it doesn't look too bad especially for the price.

http://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/tool/ry08510/

How is Ryobi as a brand? Will this model work for leaf clean up in the fall?

MikeA
06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
any suggestions on the Ryobi?

Martino
06-16-2006, 08:27 AM
actually echo plays a little game with their ratings. they measure CFM w/o the pipe to maximize the volume. they then put the pipe on, with its tapered nozzle to maximize air speed. stihl rates their blowers with the tubes on, the way they are used. a BG55 is similar in performance to the echo and shindaiwa. the BG 85 blows these machines into the weeds. it blows 341 cfm at 183mph with a flat tube and 447cfm at 125 mph with a round tube with no taper. i compared the echo/shindaiwa/redmax to the bg 55 ane they were similar in performance. then i found the bg85. it moves air like the entry level BP.

That is incorrect.

If you look at Echo stats, you get, you get CFM ratings from both the end of the pipe and the housing. They used to only give the CFM at the end of the pipe (because that's where it matters), but other companies, Stihl included, used stats from the housing. Echo looked inferior, as far as CFM, when in fact they were about the only company not playing games.

nmurph
06-16-2006, 08:44 AM
stihl uses measurements from the end of the nozzle.

nmurph
06-16-2006, 09:29 AM
That is incorrect.

If you look at Echo stats, you get, you get CFM ratings from both the end of the pipe and the housing. They used to only give the CFM at the end of the pipe (because that's where it matters), but other companies, Stihl included, used stats from the housing. Echo looked inferior, as far as CFM, when in fact they were about the only company not playing games.

if you will notice that stihl rates their blower outputs that they list two speeds and volumes. one is with the round nozzle and the other is with the flat nozzle. this clearly shows they are measuring at the end of the pipe, not at the housing.

Martino
06-16-2006, 10:51 AM
if you will notice that stihl rates their blower outputs that they list two speeds and volumes. one is with the round nozzle and the other is with the flat nozzle. this clearly shows they are measuring at the end of the pipe, not at the housing.

nmurph....

You are correct that Stihl now lists both readings, but it wasn't always the case. Echo used to list only readings from the end of the pipe (because those are the only ones that matter), but because other mfgs. only listed CFM readings from the housing and MPH from the end of the pipe, they began to list both so consumers wouldn't be hoodwinked by other mfgs. with deceptive figures.

As far as the round/flat nozzles, Echo only gives the figures that go with the nozzle(s) that come with the blower.

MikeA
06-16-2006, 02:42 PM
So, what is the best buy for a homeowner? I want to use it for grass clipping cleanup during the fall and leaves in the fall. I understand that pretty much anything will take care of grass clippings but what about the leaves. I know the back pack will do it but is that over kill for a home owner. With they Ryobi do the job or is that garbage? Will the BG85 do the job on the leaves or am I force to go with a back pack?

dfischer
06-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Mike:

Consider ease of use as well. I don't own a backpack and don't want to. I'm a homeowner that wants to grab, blow, and be done. Obviously I use a hand-held.

I hear plenty of good things about Echo, and wouldn't fear owning one. Still and all, I own a Stihl SH85 and have no complaints at all. There are no situations where I would own a Ryobi or similar. Been there, wasted that money.

btw, I live in a what used to be a tree farm. We get a few leaves. I bag mine with a power bagger on my JD, but my neighbors often borrow my stihl to blow leaves.

Buy the most powerfull Stihl handheld and you will be happy.

http://www.stihl.us/blowers/SH85D.html

MikeA
06-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the recommendation

I am comparing the BG85 (http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BG85D.html) and the PB-230LN (http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=PB-230LN&Category=POWERBLOWER) and it looks like the echo is slightly more if when echo says "pipe" they mean flat. Am I reading the numbers correctly?

nmurph
06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the recommendation

I am comparing the BG85 (http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BG85D.html) and the PB-230LN (http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=PB-230LN&Category=POWERBLOWER) and it looks like the echo is slightly more if when echo says "pipe" they mean flat. Am I reading the numbers correctly?

if you will notice, echo list their air speed at the end of the nozzle, while they list the air volume at the housing. which way are you going to use the blower? with the pipe, of course. they also only they don't tell you that their air speed is figured with a flat pipe which increases air speed at a given cfm. stihl list their figures with the pipe attached. they also list separate figures for a round and a flat nozzle.
btw, yesterday i was walking in to HD and what was on the little red wagon out front? two HH blowers. care to guess what brand they were? here's a hint, echo.......pb 200's. they were reconditioned. i briefly thought of buying one, they were only $120. then a thought came to my feeble mind: what does it say when you see two of the very same blowers, in the same wagon, at the same store, at the same time?????????? nahhh, it must have been a bad batch........i know lots of you have echo and swear by it. for me, i will stick with orange....some say stihls are hard to start. all of my orange stuff starts reliably if i follow the directions in the manual. this past saturday i grabbed my ms 310 and climbed 20 ft into an oak to take out some limbs. the saw has sat unused for three months. it cranked on the 5th pull, using the prescribed method. i have other stihl equipment and i all starts reliably.

MikeA
06-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I just looked at the web sites again. They both list speeds with the pipe on

Martino
06-19-2006, 04:17 PM
if you will notice, echo list their air speed at the end of the nozzle, while they list the air volume at the housing. which way are you going to use the blower? with the pipe, of course. they also only they don't tell you that their air speed is figured with a flat pipe which increases air speed at a given cfm. stihl list their figures with the pipe attached. they also list separate figures for a round and a flat nozzle.
btw, yesterday i was walking in to HD and what was on the little red wagon out front? two HH blowers. care to guess what brand they were? here's a hint, echo.......pb 200's. they were reconditioned. i briefly thought of buying one, they were only $120. then a thought came to my feeble mind: what does it say when you see two of the very same blowers, in the same wagon, at the same store, at the same time?????????? nahhh, it must have been a bad batch........i know lots of you have echo and swear by it. for me, i will stick with orange....some say stihls are hard to start. all of my orange stuff starts reliably if i follow the directions in the manual. this past saturday i grabbed my ms 310 and climbed 20 ft into an oak to take out some limbs. the saw has sat unused for three months. it cranked on the 5th pull, using the prescribed method. i have other stihl equipment and i all starts reliably.

nmurph....

Look at the website. Echo lists CFM both at the housing and the end of the pipe. Read my earlier post about it.

If anyone's in the market, don't walk by the recons so quick at HD. Most of the time they are returned with nothing wrong with them. Many times, in fact, they are purchased by commercial cutters/landscapers while their trimmer/blower/saw, etc. is in the shop, used until their own equipment is repaired and returned to the store. HD will take anything back, at anytime, it seems.

nmurph
06-20-2006, 10:53 AM
why does echo bother to list their cfm at the housing? how is it a useful measure? it strikes me as a subtle attempt to obfuscate. why not post measures that relate directly to how the equipment is used?

Martino
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
why does echo bother to list their cfm at the housing? how is it a useful measure? it strikes me as a subtle attempt to obfuscate. why not post measures that relate directly to how the equipment is used?

nmurph......

I explained that in post #15. Here's the copy 'n' paste of my post:

nmurph
06-22-2006, 03:55 PM
read what i ask.....my first question was a retorical remark.....i understand that echo publishes the figures it does b/c it is a useful marketing tool....MY question was why not simply use figures that relate to the operational configiration of the equipment.

Martino
06-22-2006, 04:18 PM
read what i ask.....my first question was a retorical remark.....i understand that echo publishes the figures it does b/c it is a useful marketing tool....MY question was why not simply use figures that relate to the operational configiration of the equipment.

The reason they list them at the housing is because it used to be (and may still be that way with some mfgs.) that other manufacturers only listed CFM at the housing, while Echo only listed theirs at the end of the pipe, and their blowers, in comparison, didn't compare very well as a result. It was to answer misleading info from other mfgs. So now they list them both ways.

A whole other story is how the various mfgs. get to the numbers that they print in their brochures (testing methods)!