PDA

View Full Version : Are all Harley rakes the same?

peteys
05-23-2006, 02:18 PM
The reason I ask is I'm bidding to do a lawn renovation. The property, 25k, is fairly level and rough graded with trucked in topsoil, about 250 yards. The owner wants all the bumps removed, and seeded for a new lawn. Not much grass, but some weeds. Was thinking I could rake it without killing it.

My local rental center has a rake that looks like the harley but it is made by Toro. Doesn't angle, so wouldn't be able to windrow. Property has some rocks but not too many.

Was thinking of using the rake with one of their dingos.

Any thoughts?

Vermeer
05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Toro puts their brand on the roto-dairon rake which is good for soil preperation and will bury smaller rocks. The Harley as you mention will kick them out an wind row them if it has a pivoting head. Some Harley's are fixed as well.

Scag48
05-23-2006, 06:51 PM
You have to remember that Harley is a brand, it's kind of like everyone calling a skid steer a "Bobcat". There's quite a few manufacturers making power box rakes, but Harley is the most prevelant and in my opinion the best you can buy. We have a 6 foot model, but you can get the new MX models in 7' and 8' models with dual angle cylinders. Needless to say, we wouldn't be without our Harley. It doesn't get used everyday, but when we need it, we need it and we wouldn't be able to rent one anywhere.

peteys
05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Do you think I could get around killing the lawn? That would save some, because I would have to sub that out.

Also, because it doesn't have the 20 degree angle option, would I be correct to assume that all the rocks, small, I hope, would have to be picked up at the end of each pass? No windrowing.

Scag48
05-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm failing to understand what you're trying to do. If you're preparing for a new lawn, what grass is there to kill? You could go over the top of an existing lawn "pushing" topsoil with the rake spinning as long as you didn't get it too deep and started gouging the lawn.

lawnkid
05-24-2006, 01:20 AM
We spray the entire property with RoundUp QuickPro whether it an exisitng lawn or new house(bare dirt) before doing any lawn install. Any weeds that you do not kill will just grow through again if you don't get the whole root. When everything is dead it can just be tilled it because it is essentially dead thatch at that point.

peteys
05-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks Cat and lawnkid. Wish me luck.. This will be my first time using a harley type attachment. I think I'll be able to rip up all of the weeds and grass with out using round up. There's really not much there. Probable some raking though. We'll see.