PDA

View Full Version : Dump Truck vs Dump Trailer

DBL
05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
We have been looking at both for about 2 months and cant make up our mind. a used dump truck would be nice but being used it is someone elses problems and insurance but we could plow with it. the dump trailer is new, no ins, can haul equipment and it also dumps. can anyone sway our decision one way or the other. We have been looking at a 7 x 14 footer.

Lawnchick22
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
we use a dump truck. not purchased new and haven't had any 'used' truck issues to speak of. the pros are: don't have to drag a trailer, if we don't need to (ie, other equipment), it is is easier to back into places and dump than a trailer would be...cons are: if you throw from the truck (don't dump), there's a lot of climbing in an dout -- which is okay for the first half of the day, but it can get tiring.

FearThisDeere
05-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I have a dump trailer. First you need a truck that can pull it. then you need to know how to back it up as states above. You get used to it really quick. My price range was $5000 and needed something that I could get through some thick mud on the farm. A 4x4 dump truck would have been pretty beaten up for $5000 and the $4200 price tag on a brand new trailer was a no brainer. I love it. I have no complaints. Just make sure if you use it in the winter to lift up the bed and spray all the sand and salt off the bottom as it will corrode fast. Also, protect the bed the day you get it. It rusts quick and once it starts, you can't stop it. Basically, you can't loose with anything that dumps because it saves a ton of time.

Scag48
05-23-2006, 06:23 PM
This really depends on how much material you will be hauling. We have a 6x14 dump trailer that is rated for 12K pounds and can only get about 4 cubic yards of dirt in the box. If you need to move more than 50 yards of material a week, a dump truck would be a much better choice, even if you had something with a 5-6 yard box and under 26,000 GVWR (no CDL). My biggest complaint with dump trailers is the electrical problems that can occur. If you blow a fuse that runs the hot lead of power that charges the battery on the trailer via the 7 pin plug, the battery won't charge meaning you can't dump the load. When it comes down to hand shovelling even 4 yards out of the trailer that'll make a good day a bad one very fast.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
I purchased a used dump trailer this past weekend. I had the same questions as you did. Mainly Im hauling mulch and plan on putting a leaf box on it this fall. I went with the trailer because of not having to have the up keep of another truck. If I were trying to haul dirt or gravel on a regular basis........then I would of went with the truck

wayne

Gravel Rat
05-23-2006, 08:55 PM
A dump trailer is only good if you have acres to turn it around or your damn good at backing it up. You also definatly will need a good truck to pull it so look at minimum 3/4 ton with a 8600lb gvw a 1 ton dually is better. If you have to pull it up any kind of dirt road with a grade to it your going to need a 4x4.

As for dump trucks you have some choices go with a F-350 to F-550 sized truck or go with a 3 to 5 ton truck 26,000 to 35,000lb gvw or a tandem axle.

You will have to have enough work to make a 3 ton to a tandem pay for itself for a landscaper your prolly better off with a F-550 or smaller. A F-550 sized truck will haul 8000lbs of gravel easy. A F-450 will be around 6000lbs and a F-350 will be 4000lbs.

You would prolly want a truck that you can use besides hauling dirt it can pack your tools etc and pull a trailer.

A dump truck is more usefull than a trailer especially one you can use as a daily driver.

Drew Gemma
05-23-2006, 09:51 PM
We do huge estate clean ups edgeing trimming huge properties the trailer is great to get in and out.

with a 4x4 that has lock in hubs I just put it in low range in the cab and it is a creeper gear. easy back up

ksss
05-29-2006, 10:24 PM
When I started I had a fifth wheel dump trailer. Worked good and allowed me to get on my feet. Problems were the multiple Trips I had to make to a job. The constant overloading of the trailer. If used for dirt work, you will wear out a pickup pretty quick if have a large trailer like I had. They are great for some applications but a dump truck is much better for excvation type work. Granted it mean issurance and registration but the improved efficiency gets your money back.

Dras069
06-04-2006, 03:01 PM
if your building your business up buy the dump trailer. its affordable plus u will always need it for something. once you have the funds in the future hold onto the dump trailer and buy a 450 dump or something along those lines.
dump tailers are awesome for leaf clean ups and small dirt and mulch deliveries, saves on gas.

tthomass
06-04-2006, 11:40 PM
dump trailor you could leave at job sites or material on it w/ people working while you go get other stuff or jobs etc

also, if you get a dump trailor get insurance........i'm pay'n only $44 every 6 months for full coverage on a $5000 trailor that can still be stolen with the lock i put in the nose of it......liability doesn't cover theft or collision

mine is a 10k lbs 6x10 and pull it with a 02 CHevy 2500hd........4.10 gears are nice

DBL
06-04-2006, 11:44 PM
yeah thanks guys i think that we are going to go with the trailer for now just to build up and maby sometime soon well be able to get a dump truck but you guys have good points about being able to leave it places... no ins or reg... can haul equipment...so so far i think well go for the trailer but were still looking

VT_K9
06-07-2006, 11:29 AM
I had a flatbed trailer that I carried a tractor on. I needed a way to haul material efficiently and decided on a trailer as opposed to a dump truck due to finances and need to have a vehicle to carry three kids. I also use my truck as a commuter for my full-time job (K9 Handler at a local PD).

I went with a 7X14 14ton dump trailer from Cam Superline (traded my other trailer and received credit for what it cost me). I thought it would be a great choice to haul a tractor to a site and then haul material with it. When I backed up my Dodge 1500 to it and … The trailer weighed 3900 lbs empty. I quickly realized carrying a lot of material was not a safe option.

I upgraded to a F350 SWLB. I can now haul a reasonable load, but I would like to upgrade the 3.73 gears to 4.10 gears. I also upgraded to a larger tractor with a backhoe. The 14' will hold the tractor, but the bucket and hoe hang over a little. The trailer can haul 10,000 lbs, but I need the right truck to do so safely (and legally). Sometimes I just don't need the trailer, just a small amount of material. If money (or deal) were available I would do a 450/550 (dump) with the same trailer.

Mike

Jpocket
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I am a firm believer that if you have enough work for one truck (pick-up), then you need a second truck, which for me the only logical choice was a dump truck. If I only had one truck it would be a new Diesel 1ton dump.

copeblk
06-07-2006, 11:12 PM
we currently have a 2003 3500 chevy dump which we used on every job. this year we bought a cam superline 10' trailer, so far it has been on every job. if you do a digout by hand (wheelbarrows) insted of shoveling into the truck, just make a ramp out of 2 by 12's and wheel right in , a HUGE time saver. just make sure you have enough truck to pull and stop it. we pull it with every thing, 2500, 3500 and our s1600 international.