PDA

View Full Version : Owner Stripes

Mike TMI
05-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I usually do not mow with any of my crews but this year I decided to show up my guys....

I have a bet with one of my supervisors next week that he can't out do me... I gave him a digital camera and told him to take the best pictures of his lawns and I will take pictures of the one's I cut....

If he wins...I have to give him a $500 late spring bonus.... If I win he has to pay my lunch for a month....

PJDiesel
05-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Very impressive.

Lynch Landscaping
05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Very nice work! Waht did you mow that with? P.S. I hope you win your free lunches.

nmez21
05-23-2006, 10:25 PM
That'll be tough to beat, good luck!

dcondon
05-23-2006, 11:10 PM
ooooops double post:(

dcondon
05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
nice looking job there!!:cool2:

ECS
05-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynden-Jeff
05-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Great pics. On the last picture there are real dark stripes but then there are fainter strips cris crossing it. How do you make them not as striped? Is that the way you cut the lawn and then you went back and just striped it?

Cheers
Jeff

wacaweed
05-23-2006, 11:47 PM
those are great and I tell you that is a really good way to get your crews into it, and to take some pride in their work. Awsome Good luck :clapping:

Mike TMI
05-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Great pics. On the last picture there are real dark stripes but then there are fainter strips cris crossing it. How do you make them not as striped? Is that the way you cut the lawn and then you went back and just striped it?

Cheers
Jeff

I have a sign at my shop with an arrow on it. Each week the arrow points in a different direction. My guys understand that all houses will have the same lines/stripes in that particular direction.

We don't use any striping kit on our mowers but I wouldn't mind trying one out.

ALarsh
05-24-2006, 12:13 AM
What kind of mower did you use? Any equipment pics?

Mike TMI
05-24-2006, 12:18 AM
those are great and I tell you that is a really good way to get your crews into it, and to take some pride in their work. Awesome Good luck :clapping:

I totally agree....

I learned that from a guy that I worked for back in 1987 - 89 that you treat your employees great...they definitely will take pride in their work. He now runs about 35 crews in my area and one of the largest in the area. He gave me the idea of making it a competition between the crews...

The last two days have been remarkable... Now my checkbook is going to be lighter from all the bonuses!

Mike TMI
05-24-2006, 12:25 AM
What kind of mower did you use? Any equipment pics?

I have a cluster of different mowers, but I never let any of my guys (even me) use any sulky. We walk every property.

I used a 48" bobcat ransom that I've had forever....If I remember its about 8 to 10 years old.

I will dig through and find some pics of my equipment.

MMLawn
05-24-2006, 12:38 AM
A $500 bonus just for striping? Not knocking you but that isn't a very wise business decision, that makes a bonus more of a game instead of about performance, which it should be about. I do agree 100% with rewarding employees for outstanding performance with bonuses and I have a set of standards in place that if they are obtained at the end of the regular cutting season each of my foremen will get a $1000 bonus and ea laborer a $750 bonus, but striping isn't even mentioned in the plan.

Lynden-Jeff
05-24-2006, 01:36 AM
I have a cluster of different mowers, but I never let any of my guys (even me) use any sulky. We walk every property.

I used a 48" bobcat ransom that I've had forever....If I remember its about 8 to 10 years old.

I will dig through and find some pics of my equipment.

Wow pretty good for no striping kit. Was the yard in the picture done with the bobcat? I am purchasing a Zt-223 and a 36" bobcat walk behind. I'm glad to hear some positive feedback on them!

Thanks
Jeff

JFizzle
05-24-2006, 03:48 AM
Hey- pretty work! Question: what do you do to get the stripe all the way to the end if you have to turn around on the grass? (I'm new to the serious striping stuff)

Mike TMI
05-24-2006, 08:23 AM
A $500 bonus just for striping? Not knocking you but that isn't a very wise business decision, that makes a bonus more of a game instead of about performance, which it should be about. I do agree 100% with rewarding employees for outstanding performance with bonuses and I have a set of standards in place that if they are obtained at the end of the regular cutting season each of my foremen will get a $1000 bonus and ea laborer a $750 bonus, but striping isn't even mentioned in the plan.

How I set it up is a contest or competition.... This is just something fun to do and they have stepped up their quality and performance in the last two days.

I also pick a day out of the week and whoever has their trucks and equipment ready to go 1st and has no problems...I give $120 to the crew leader...He can either split between the 3 people in the truck or keep it himself. (I've never had anybody keep it for themselves...they always split it)

And btw....I think $500 to this particular supervisor is chump-change...Last year...I gave him a $10,000 Christmas bonus.

cooltype
05-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Well since i didnt make the stripes i dont know for sure but by looking it looks like he just turns around on the sidewalk and if you look close that area that doesnt have sidewalk in the last pic, on the left side in front of it doesnt have a stripe running all the way to the edge he probably just made a strip around the property and then got as close as he could where he didnt have something to turn around on