PDA

View Full Version : What should I be charging for mulch jobs?

Howie's Lawn Care
05-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone,
I remember seeing a post where you guys where talking about different ways of pricing mulch. Do you charge by the yard or how long or what? Let say I'm putting down 3 yards, how much should I charge and how should the pricing be structured. I want to do this next year and have no idea at all. When you give me ideas let me know if it is in addition to the price I pay for the mulch or included. Please take into consideration my area and the going rates. Thanks.

-Nick Howard

CutRight
05-23-2006, 11:52 PM
i usually charge by the yard. $60 a yard installed usually

i charge more if theres any prep work or building beds
im doing a 30 yard install tmrw. at that price, plus more for extending and building new beds. I could probably get more money but its a competitive price.

elshauno
05-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I charge 60 for the bargain stuff. It all depends on what the customer wants.

Howie's Lawn Care
05-24-2006, 09:45 PM
i usually charge by the yard. $60 a yard installed usually

i charge more if theres any prep work or building beds
im doing a 30 yard install tmrw. at that price, plus more for extending and building new beds. I could probably get more money but its a competitive price.

I would be bying from another LCO, and it would probably be around $21-$24 per yard, so would I be charging about $36.00-$39.00 for puting down a yard at your price and how long does it usually take to put down a yard? How many wheel barrowl (sp?) loads does it take to spread one yard? Thanks for your help and advice.

-Nick Howard

carcrz
05-25-2006, 08:12 AM
about a yard an hour. I take whatever my cost is + $40 an hour.

dKoester
05-25-2006, 05:21 PM
We charge 65.00 per yard plus prep fees.

Howie's Lawn Care
05-25-2006, 10:17 PM
about a yard an hour. I take whatever my cost is + $40 an hour.

Are you saying a yard an hour for one individual? I'm planning on having a friend from my other job work with me next year, but I need to get things straight with how to pay him legally. I want to get into fert programs also. If I have my friend working with me, should I have two wheel barrows or should we just hustler with two ten tine pitchforks? What all kind of prep is involved? Do you pick up the old crap and if so, what method do you use? Thanks for your help everyone.

-Nick Howard

carcrz
05-26-2006, 12:00 AM
That is per man-hour. So two guys "should" be able to get 2 yards an hour.

When I do mulch jobs, I try to push trimming as well because you don't have to haul everything off - just the stuff that you won't be able to cover up. For prep work, go a couple days in advance & spray w/ round-up. Then when you arive a couple days later, cut the weeds down w/ your trimmer & cover everything up.

As for what equipment to use, it really all depends on the situation. I usually have 2 wheelsbarrows going. Any more than that is excessive. So, you have 2guys going, one of you load up the wheel barrow & swap it out w/ the one that he was using & keep going back & forth filling it for the other guy (rotate jobs occassionaly).
If you have 3 guys, one guy loads while the other 2 dump & return for a refil.

I also try to use my skidsteer as much as possible when around pavement. It saves a TON of effort & time. I hold it at about waist high while the other guy rakes it out of the bucket. He may get a little dirty, but it is a lot easier & I can enjoy the tunes on my headset.

carcrz
05-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah, leave the old stuff unless they want to pay extra for the haul-off. Unless it is all moldy or fungus, it is a waste of time to remove it. If that is the case, you need to find the culprit before proceeding w/ any mulch application.

Howie's Lawn Care
05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh yeah, leave the old stuff unless they want to pay extra for the haul-off. Unless it is all moldy or fungus, it is a waste of time to remove it. If that is the case, you need to find the culprit before proceeding w/ any mulch application.

Thanks for the help man. I want to get my ZTR paid for, and get a 3/4 Ton next year. I'd get a loan on the 3/4 Ton, and hopefully get an E-Z Dump bed insert (buying it outright). My insurance is costing around $950.00 every six months. It hurts, but I think I can still do it. Once again, thanks for your help.

-Nick Howard

wski4fun
06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
On 3 yards you may have to do more than 60 per hr. unless you have a bunch of small jobs in one day. Also, I figure on average I do 5yds in 3 hrs with no prep work and no travel time. If it is a big job have it delivered and you can save a lot of time.

jbailey52
06-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Man we pay about 27-30 a yard for the mulch.. I charge $75-$85 a yard installed.. remember.. if you do a good job, noone complains about $20