PDA

View Full Version : Time For A New Sending Unit

FearThisDeere
05-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, I need a new sending unit for the 1987 Dodge Ram. How much am I looking at spending and how hard is it to change? I am fairly mechanical and have a friend that is very mechanical. Any tips or suggestions would be helful!

lwcmattlifter
05-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Sending unit for what? There are a few on your truck.

oldrustycars
05-24-2006, 10:33 PM
if its the oil sending unit, and its on a cummins, its fairly easy BUT you need a special socket. its real deep. i have one.

FearThisDeere
05-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Whoops, sorry I typed that post too fast. I need a new sending unit for the gas tank. It sits right up on top of it, so I know I'll have to drop the tank. It is for a 318 gasser.

General Landscaping
05-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Removed.............

I typed a great response... that applies to '94 and up.:hammerhead:

Brendan Smith
05-25-2006, 11:29 AM
depending on how rusty everything is and if you have access to a lift, it may be easier to remove the bed bolts and raise the bed up, we do that alot at my shop when all the stalls are full. just drag an air hose into the parking lot for the 1/2 impact and go to town. good luck :weightlifter:

funkigreasemonki
05-25-2006, 02:31 PM
If your dropping the tank, the less gas in it the better. Remember that gas sloshes, so if the tank starts to tip, all the gas will run to the lowest side, and get very heavy on that side very fast. If you can, get a buddy to help, also try to use two transmission jacks if you have access, and strap the tank to them to help keep the tank from getting goofy. Also spray the heck out of the bolts on the sending unit with good penetrating lube, and let it sit, as they are probably good and rusted, it is quite a pain if one of them breaks off.

FearThisDeere
05-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Good advise. I have a 12V pump to get all the gas out. I had just filled it up. There is about 23 gallon or so in there. This is probably a cause to the stalling out I have been having recently, right?

oldrustycars
05-25-2006, 09:03 PM
on chevys, removing the bed is the way its mostly done. lift it up and move it back.

CLARK LAWN
05-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Good advise. I have a 12V pump to get all the gas out. I had just filled it up. There is about 23 gallon or so in there. This is probably a cause to the stalling out I have been having recently, right?
fuel sending unit will not cause your truck to stall. fuel pump may but they uasally work or they dont.

FearThisDeere
05-26-2006, 11:54 PM
I think I might have an issue with the sending unit and a cracked fuel line that is sucking in air. Everything is a little rusty back there and it is time for things to be replaced.

Audrey
05-27-2006, 12:46 AM
I did my Chevy. It has everything inside the tank. If I ever have to do it again, I will definately explore the "remove the bed" option. Geez, I really did not enjoy that job. $650 just for the pump/sending unit/filter. Lines to and from the EFI unit and vent were extra. :cry:

When you do it, do everything when you're in there. It's worth a couple extra bucks not to have to do it again anytime soon. As an extra, I also redid my brake lines because they ran nearby along the frame rail. It was only a matter of time before they went due to heavy rust.

A

FearThisDeere
05-27-2006, 09:13 AM
The breaklines were done recently, so I don't have to worry about them yet, but might as well just do them while im in there.

Brendan Smith
05-29-2006, 09:33 AM
I did my Chevy. It has everything inside the tank. If I ever have to do it again, I will definately explore the "remove the bed" option. Geez, I really did not enjoy that job. $650 just for the pump/sending unit/filter. Lines to and from the EFI unit and vent were extra. :cry:

When you do it, do everything when you're in there. It's worth a couple extra bucks not to have to do it again anytime soon. As an extra, I also redid my brake lines because they ran nearby along the frame rail. It was only a matter of time before they went due to heavy rust.

A
one thing about chevys - when replacing the sender/pump assembly, replace the electrical connector too as it frequently melts and kills the new pump by causing excessive resistance.

FearThisDeere
07-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Still working on this truck. I have dropped the tank, disconnected the fuel lines, and bought a new sending unit (that was fun to find). I can not get the ring around the top of the sending that attatches it to the tank off. I think one of the tabs is broken. I can't get that thing out for the life of me. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

xcopterdoc
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
soak it down with a good penetrating oil.. I like PB Blaster. get a good BRASS punch and hammer.... ease it off, counter clockwise til it unlocks. If it wont budge... new tank and ring.

xcopterdoc
07-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Or you could find a way to drill, cut, bang, beat the old lock ring off and out. But I wont go there,,, that one is on you! A new ring should be at yur dealer of NAPA

lawnmaniac883
07-10-2006, 08:41 PM
On those rings you have to get the tabs up and then smack the hell out of them with a punch counterclockwise as stated above. If it dont come off then head to the junkyard.

FearThisDeere
07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks xcopterdoc.

lawnmaniac883: The tabs have to come up? I have been trying to push them in. They go up? I might be on to something here lol! I am so far over my head on this one!

mcwlandscaping
07-11-2006, 12:35 AM
where is that friend that is very mechanically inclined??haha, jk, good luck with it!! i really hope you can figure it all out

FearThisDeere
07-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Hahaha... he works on a house going up down the road from me. He has changed 10 of them, but he still can't get it off. Might just be time for a new tank. By the time a break the ring and have to locate another one I could have the tank back on the truck and running!

Brendan Smith
07-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Hahaha... he works on a house going up down the road from me. He has changed 10 of them, but he still can't get it off. Might just be time for a new tank. By the time a break the ring and have to locate another one I could have the tank back on the truck and running!
just cut it off with a torch :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FearThisDeere
07-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I think the trucxk would blow up! Nice thought!

lawnmaniac883
07-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, there should be 3 tabs that need to be pryed up and then you smack the hell out of it and unless it is rusted on there real good, it will break free and spin off.

FearThisDeere
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Well, I'll give it a try this morning seeing that I am all caught up on my work. I have been trying to work on this thing for months! I'll see what I can get done today.

FearThisDeere
07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I am just going to have to get a new tank. I could not get that thing off for the life of me and then broke both of the clips. Oh well...!:cry:

Brendan Smith
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
I am just going to have to get a new tank. I could not get that thing off for the life of me and then broke both of the clips. Oh well...!:cry:
see...should have used the torch :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

seriously, good luck:weightlifter:

FearThisDeere
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I am just about ready to bolt everything back together tomorrow when I get a few hours. My last question (for now) is which is the postive end and which is the negative end on the sending unit itself. I have forgotten which is which and would prefer not to blow it up.

FearThisDeere
07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Nevermine, I figured it out!:hammerhead: Hope this all works!

lawnmaniac883
07-18-2006, 02:38 PM
LOL, I cant wait for the "It wont start" post ... :laugh:

Brendan Smith
07-18-2006, 05:18 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FearThisDeere
07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Don't worry, it will be here before you know it! I didn't even get a chance yesterday because I couldn't get the filler neck into the tank and it was past 1 in the morning, so I'll get back at it later today.

FearThisDeere
07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Belive it or not, I finally got it running today. It only took like 35 hours, but the thing is up and running. It runs like crap, but I can work on that. I am just happy that it runs. I have worked on it from Friday night off and on until an hour ago. Only broke one wrench and three sockets. I have spent $110.86 so far when the local shop quoted me at around $1450 to do all the work and have it towed there. I love saving money!!! Next thing is to get it running right and then start working on the race car!

Brendan Smith
07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
get some!!!!! i still say you should have used the torch at the beginning of the project :laugh: :laugh:

lawnmaniac883
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
get some!!!!! i still say you should have used the torch at the beginning of the project :laugh: :laugh:

You just wanted to see him blow the tank up didnt ya?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Brendan Smith
07-20-2006, 04:41 PM
You just wanted to see him blow the tank up didnt ya?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

there have been MANY vehicles i have wanted to burn over the course of my life, i'm sure he wanted to do this one at some point during the repairs:laugh: :drinkup:

FearThisDeere
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
I actually never got really frustrated with it. I was only pissed when Dodge sent my the wrong sending unit and I had to modify it. Also, that little ring that goes around the top is discontinued. There was one in the whole USA and it was $95, so I made my own. It was running like crap all day yesterday. Today it wouldn't run without sputtering. I took the 2 month old battery back to Sears and it turned out to be junk. I got a new one for free and the truck runs great. Still having some troubles with the stereo tho. It only gets AM and no FM stations.:cry: