PDA

View Full Version : Mini skid comparison Vermeer, Ditch Witch, Ram Rod, or Toro

syzer
05-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Ok, so we have been looking into these for some time now and we are going to start seriously looking at these machines shortly. I really am leaning toward Vermeer and ditch witch, however the closest dealers are pretty far away. This leaves me with Toro and ramrod.

What are the high points of these machines and which would be the best? We want a track machine, it will be used for everything from grading to trenching, auger, forks, box rake, etc. I want a heavy lifting and operating capacity, and high pin height. I love how the Vermeer can get into a 36" gate, but this isn't a necessity.

Any incite is greatly appreciated!

syzer
05-26-2006, 12:43 AM
No one can input?

AintNoFun
05-26-2006, 08:25 AM
try the toro dingo. i demoed the bobcat, dingo, boxer. the dingo blew them all out of the water. from the controls to the ease of operation. i actually sold my cat 248 when i got the dingo.. there was just a discussion not to long ago about the dingos...

Vermeer
05-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Syzer,
Appreciate the feedback on the S600TX. If you will be looking at the Toro or Ramrod keep in mind you will not get the same lifting capacity, reach or hinge pin height in comparison the Vermeer or DW. PM me and i can get you more info.

Jon

YardPro
05-26-2006, 08:41 PM
check out the mini skid thread in the tractors section..... LOTS OF INFO.

syzer
05-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys!

Yardpro, I read that entire monster thread, and you are right a lot of great info there. It makes us feel much better knowing the kind of success ppl are having with these small machines.

Vermeer, I thought that the ramrod has the most lifting capacity of all of them?

Itsgottobegreen
05-27-2006, 02:38 AM
I really like the toro dingo 425dx. But after playing with my buddies diesel boxer. I have changed my mine. Yea the controls aren't as nice. But he can dump into the back of his F-450, the dingo couldn't do that. So a boxer is on my wish list. But I got to get as bobcat 331 mini-x first.

syzer
05-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah, thats def a nice feature to have!

BCF
05-27-2006, 06:16 PM
I've seen high dump buckets that hinge at the lip to give you greater height. Then you can get the nice controls and higher lift.

Lawnworks
05-27-2006, 06:58 PM
I like my dingo 425 more than the boxer. The dingo is quicker and controls are super easy. You can train an amigo in one day w/ a dingo. It seems they might be a bit easier to work on. The vermeer is more expensive I think. I think it weighs more and has skinnier tracks, but I think it is a really well built machine. I have a ride plate for my toro, but I like the ability to walk behind it.

syzer
05-27-2006, 09:41 PM
I like my dingo 425 more than the boxer. The dingo is quicker and controls are super easy. You can train an amigo in one day w/ a dingo. It seems they might be a bit easier to work on. The vermeer is more expensive I think. I think it weighs more and has skinnier tracks, but I think it is a really well built machine. I have a ride plate for my toro, but I like the ability to walk behind it.

Just curious as to why you like the ability to walk behind it? I haven't used one yet, but it would seem there is enough concentration on doing what you are doing with the machine then worrying about walking behind it and possibly tripping over things? I know they are pretty touchy so maybe better if you make a quick jerk so you cant get thrown off the machine.

Also, then you loose your body weight as a counter balance. So what am I missing?

Cant wait to demo a few units.

Does anyone have a pic of the controls on any of these machines and how they function? I have used a ramrod and I find the controls ok, but a little gawdy. I seen a dw at the local rental place, and again I cant remember what they look like, but I seem to remember thinking it would be tricky to get really fluid with the controls (moving and using the bucket at the same time).

The vermeer looks like it has joystick controls like the skid steers today which really attracts me to the machine. I haven't seen a clear pic yet though so I am unsure.

Lawnworks
05-28-2006, 01:59 AM
I bought mine w/out the ride plate, so I guess I am just used to walking w/ it. The machine feels more agile when I am walking behind it. It also feels safer on hills and such. I bought the ride plate mainly for more lifting capacity.

AintNoFun
05-28-2006, 04:41 AM
your gonna love the dingo controls. i have a few guys that never sat in a skidsteer and was harley raking like a champ with the dingo within a few hours. we never got the ride plate because with a ride plate it becomes a piece of heavy equipment on a prevailing rate jobsite. without the ride plate its just a machine....

Just curious as to why you like the ability to walk behind it? I haven't used one yet, but it would seem there is enough concentration on doing what you are doing with the machine then worrying about walking behind it and possibly tripping over things? I know they are pretty touchy so maybe better if you make a quick jerk so you cant get thrown off the machine.

Also, then you loose your body weight as a counter balance. So what am I missing?

Does anyone have a pic of the controls on any of these machines and how they function? I have used a ramrod and I find the controls ok, but a little gawdy. I seen a dw at the local rental place, and again I cant remember what they look like, but I seem to remember thinking it would be tricky to get really fluid with the controls (moving and using the bucket at the same time).

The vermeer looks like it has joystick controls like the skid steers today which really attracts me to the machine. I haven't seen a clear pic yet though so I am unsure.

Rollacosta
05-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Buy a compact tractor instead much more versatile

syzer
05-28-2006, 09:40 AM

How is a compact tractor much more versatile?

6'7 330
05-28-2006, 10:56 AM
I love our Dingo’s for city of Chicago job site and tailoring them in an urban environment. Dingo’s provide easy to maneuverabilty around corners and into tight spaces; it will squeeze into remarkably tight spots.Operating it is so easy that an idiot could get comfortable with it after a few minutes and after a few hours, at home with it.A very well designed tough machine they fit the bill on urban job sites. We use them to move materials like sod, dirt, tilling and prepping etc.Love our Dingo's.

AintNoFun
05-28-2006, 03:18 PM
id rather have a shovel and a wheelbarrow instead of a compact tractor, talk about useles...

NEPSJay
05-28-2006, 06:58 PM
compact tractor = junk.

freddy123252
06-28-2006, 01:42 PM

heres pictures of our tx420

syzer
06-28-2006, 10:44 PM
heres pictures of our tx420
Thats sweet bro, any other shots? How exactly do the controls work?

AintNoFun
06-28-2006, 11:54 PM
heres a pic when we got our dingo delivered with all the attachments. and the second pic is us replacing some trees that died on a large planting job. we ripped out 5 5'-6' pines, re augered the holes, and installed new ones in about under 30 mins.. the machine is awesome..

Thats sweet bro, any other shots?

syzer
06-29-2006, 12:00 AM
That is awesome, I cant wait to get one of these guys. They look like a real back saver. I can already see that it will be a very wise investment.