PDA

View Full Version : Earthway 2170 Spreader

lawnstriper23
05-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Just wondering if anybody has feedback regarding this spreader? I am currently trying to find a nice spreader that doesn't have the plastic wheels and it easy to operate. I currently have the Scotts Edgeguard spreader and that works fine, but the tires are something I am not so fond of. I just used the Scotts last night and it is just too much work pushing that thing through the tall grass (I tend to keep the grass a bit longer in the Spring). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.............:usflag:

stryper
05-25-2006, 10:52 AM
I've got the 2150...it's great.:usflag:

fishinpa
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
I bought the 2170 last year. It's a bugger to get together but it's been a great unit.

Do a search here.

LarryF
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Just wondering if anybody has feedback regarding this spreader? I am currently trying to find a nice spreader that doesn't have the plastic wheels and it easy to operate. I currently have the Scotts Edgeguard spreader and that works fine, but the tires are something I am not so fond of. I just used the Scotts last night and it is just too much work pushing that thing through the tall grass (I tend to keep the grass a bit longer in the Spring). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.............:usflag:

If you do a search here on Lawnsite, you'll see favorable reports on the 2170. But this one runs about $170 and I believe it was you who indicated you were looking for something a lot less expensive. I don't know if you are aware of it, but Earthway also has a cheaper verision and with pneumatic tires that cost about $90, and it holds 80 lbs. Maybe this would be more in line with what you want.

Here's a place that sell it for that much.

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=106231&UID=200605251122287342722933

lawnstriper23
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I found the 2170 for $100 out the door and it is brand new so that's why I am looking at that model. I might just take the plung and buy it since I did a search and nothing but good things were mentioned about it. Now I gotta convince Sears to take back the Scotts speader. That outta be fun :) Thanks for everybodies input.............

LarryF
05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I found the 2170 for $100 out the door and it is brand new so that's why I am looking at that model. ...

That's really a bargain! What store is that? Maybe they'll send me one if I send them a check.

lawnstriper23
05-25-2006, 05:00 PM
That's really a bargain! What store is that? Maybe they'll send me one if I send them a check.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Earthway-Model-2170-spreader-for-salt-or-fertilizer_W0QQitemZ7769588122QQcategoryZ75667QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy has been selling them like hotcakes. I am heading up to Sears to return the Scott's Edgeguard and if that goes as planned, I will be purchasing one of these from Ebay tonight...........:usflag:

LarryF
05-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, I ordered one tonight and I'll send the cashiers check out to him tomorrow AM. Turned out to be $75 + $30 for shipping. I had seen a different web site that wanted about $170 + S&H charges, and this afternoon I had visited a local store here in NJ where it was $185 + tax. I usually shy away from ebay stuff, but this seems almost too good to be true. I'll post the results of how things turn out after it arrives, just in case others may be interested in getting one.

lawnstriper23
05-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Larry, I am glad to hear that you got this great deal. I never made it up to return my Scott's spreader last night, but am going to do so this morning. I noticed that the Ebay seller doesn't have any more listings for the Earthway spreader, but I have emailed to see if they have any more. If they don't have any more I will need to ask you to send me the one you bought because I was the one who told you about the deal :rolleyes: Just kidding, I am sure they have more because I checked past auctions and ther has been many sold by this seller.

LarryF
05-26-2006, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=lawnstriper23]Larry, I am glad to hear that you got this great deal.

Thanks! As I had indicated in a previous post, I'm not into this ebay thing and I don't have a login, so I had one of my kids set up this particular transaction for me. It was just too good to pass up. The check is now in the mail, but if the distributor (his name is Steve) is out of them and can't get more, I presume he'll return my payment. Since I'm not a registered ebay person, I don't have access to the data you referred to regarding how many of these spreader he has sold. But at the price he is asking, I suspect he is currently selling a lot more than most, perhaps all, other dealers, so I supect that must make the Earthway manufacturer happy and they will continue to provide the units to him.

If I do get it, it will be at between 40 and 50 percent less than I could have done at a local store. Too bad Steve can't provide commercial quality ZTRs at that kind of a discount. If he did, he'd really be busy.

lawnstriper23
05-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Aw yea, the Scott's Edgeguard has been returned and the money order for the Earthway 2170 is in the mail. Let's just hope it get here within the next four weeks so I can apply my next round of fertilizer. The seller just posted 5 or 6 more units on Ebay in case anybody is wondering....Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend :usflag:

lawnstriper23
06-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I just got done putting my Earthway 2170 together and this thing is great!! Alittle on the big side for a home owner with about 1/4 acre, but overall I am very pleased with it. Of coarse the real test will be when I use it for the first time which will be in about 3 weeks. The instructions are kind of difficult at times, but I managed to work through it. Took about 45 minutes to fully assemble the unit. I went ahead and bought the rain cover and side deflector kit and those should arrive on Monday. Aw, the little things in life that make a man happy :rolleyes: I say if your on the market for a nice spreader, take a look at this one. Can't beat $100 on Ebay..........

LarryF
06-03-2006, 11:47 AM
I just got done putting my Earthway 2170 together. .........

Ditto, except you're being too kind regarding the instructions that came in the box. They're terrible! But I guess that anyone with a mechanical bend should be able to put the unit together in spite of that. The assembly instructions show at the Earthway web site are different and a little better.

LarryF
06-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Now that I have this Earthway 2170, I went through the arithmetic to determinge the settings I'll need for a few different Lesco fertilizers. For each one I came up with a number that's about equal to the one provided for a Lesco spreader. I suspect that others must have gone down this path before me. If so, would you share with me if you observed the same thing; that is, that the settings provided for Lesco fertilizer used in a Lesco spreader also apply approximately for the Earthway 2170?

lawnstriper23
06-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Larry,
By using the spreader settings tool on the Lesco website I observed the same thing as you have. I put in the item number for each Lesco product that I use and the result came back within one number of the Lesco Spreader (Example: Earthway 14 Lesco 15) Whenever I purchase a Lesco product I make sure that I ask what the setting would be for my spreader and then use a Sharpie marker to mark my fertilizer bag. I do this because I take turns with my neighbor picking up fertilizer (even though I usually pick it up since the local Lesco is on the way home from work). I will let you know what I find out though.
Did I tell you that I bought the rain cover and the edgeguard add-on for the Earthway spreader? The edgeguard is used around the flowerbeds, driveway, or any other area where you don't want fertilizer. Very easy to install and to use. Took 3 minutes to install. The rain cover comes in handy too because I fertilize an 8 foot mound in my backyard and it keeps the fertilizer from spilling out. Got them both for $35. Something to consider.............

T.Wells
06-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Larry,
By using the spreader settings tool on the Lesco website I observed the same thing as you have. I put in the item number for each Lesco product that I use and the result came back within one number of the Lesco Spreader (Example: Earthway 14 Lesco 15) Whenever I purchase a Lesco product I make sure that I ask what the setting would be for my spreader and then use a Sharpie marker to mark my fertilizer bag. I do this because I take turns with my neighbor picking up fertilizer (even though I usually pick it up since the local Lesco is on the way home from work). I will let you know what I find out though.
Did I tell you that I bought the rain cover and the edgeguard add-on for the Earthway spreader? The edgeguard is used around the flowerbeds, driveway, or any other area where you don't want fertilizer. Very easy to install and to use. Took 3 minutes to install. The rain cover comes in handy too because I fertilize an 8 foot mound in my backyard and it keeps the fertilizer from spilling out. Got them both for $35. Something to consider.............

Great findings here. Thanks. May I ask where you were able to obtain the rain cover and edge guard? I picked up one of these units off ebay and wouldn't mind the edge guard as I think that I can do without the rain cover.

Thanks,
T.Wells

lawnstriper23
06-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Great findings here. Thanks. May I ask where you were able to obtain the rain cover and edge guard? I picked up one of these units off ebay and wouldn't mind the edge guard as I think that I can do without the rain cover.

Thanks,
T.Wells

I bought the rain cover and edge guard which is the first link below. I like the rain cover because I fertilize an 8 foot high mound in my backyard and it keeps the fertilizer in the hopper. I also like the rain cover because it gives me the comfort that should I ever trip and loose contol of the spreader, the fertilizer won't go everywhere (this happened to my neighbor and it wasn't a pretty site). The rain cover isn't foolproof, but it gives me alittle more comfort. Oh, it also will keep the fertilizer dry when its raining out :rolleyes:

http://www.earthway-outlet.com/60060r.htm
http://www.earthway-outlet.com/60166.htm

Hope this helps :usflag:

T.Wells
06-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Hope this helps :usflag:

Yup. Thanks. I ordered the deflector kit and rain cover today. :)

-T.Wells

lawnstriper23
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Yup. Thanks. I ordered the deflector kit and rain cover today. :)

-T.Wells

Good deal! The deflector took all of three minutes to install (at least the one I bought). Did you buy the two together (I think the price was around $33)? I am using my spreader for the first time next week. I can't wait :)

T.Wells
06-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Good deal! The deflector took all of three minutes to install (at least the one I bought). Did you buy the two together (I think the price was around $33)? I am using my spreader for the first time next week. I can't wait :)

Yes, I purchased the combo package. I hope to have it here and assembled before the first week of July when I apply my grub killer (Merit).

Thanks again,
T.Wells

LarryF
06-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Thereís something about that edgeguard that doesnít seem right to me. Iíve never used or even seen a spreader with one attached, but I looked closely at the pictures in the assembly instructions provided at the web sites lawnstriper23 gave us. It seems to me that without the edgeguard, the impeller would broadcast the grains of fertilizer in a 4-to-5-ft-radius circle, but all the edgeguard does is block anything that would go to one side. That means that all the fertilizer grains that would have been otherwise distributed over an approximate 4-foot path will now drop straight down and be concentrated in a line that will be perhaps about an inch or less wide. I would think thatís too much fertilizer and one would end up burning the turf along that line. If thatís what can happen, that edgeguard isnít what I want. I have an old, 24-inch drop fertilizer, and I think Iíd be better off using it on the grass adjacent to walks or other areas where I wouldnít want the fertilizer. If Iím wrong, I suspect someone will be telling me so.

fishinpa
06-10-2006, 09:19 AM
That means that all the fertilizer grains that would have been otherwise distributed over an approximate 4-foot path will now drop straight down and be concentrated in a line that will be perhaps about an inch or less wide. I would think thatís too much fertilizer and one would end up burning the turf along that line.

Larry, I have to agree with your theory on this one. Up until this point I was considering getting the edge guard also, but now I don't this so. I have a friend that "drops" around beds and walkways the broadcasts the rest. I personally don't worry about the beds too much and try to apply when it's dry out, then fire-up the blower and clean off the drive and sidewalk before everything gets wet. I know that is not always possible, but I try to do it that way.

To all: The rain guard is great as well as a great idea. I mean to say that: getting your fert down as close to actual rain is the preferred application method for most products. So occasionally you will be pushing this thing as "Mother Nature" arrives a few hours early. I've applied "too close" to the rain a few times and with the cover on, I didn't have to worry about the fert getting wet and clumping up inside the spreader. I DON'T think it would hold 50lbs of fert in the unit if I was to somehow tip the unit over though.

LarryF
06-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Hereís something else about rotary spreaders that I wonder about.

Itís surprising to me how little the documentation that came with this Earthway spreader explains about operation procedures. What I had looked for and didn't seem to find is a recommendation of how much overlap is appropriate when applying the fertilizer. I realize that a rotary spreader discharges the grains of fertilizer in a pattern that resembles a bell-shaped curve, and assuming the swath is about 9 feet wide, the fertilizer that is broadcast is heaviest between the spreaderís tire tracks and diminishes to zero at about 4 1/2 feet on either side. Well, I'm sure I don't want one of the wheel tracks for the next pass to be 9 feet away from the previous ones, because if I did that, there would be virtually no fertilizer on the ground half way between. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to run over one of the previous wheel tracks, as I had always done with my drop spreader, because the application would be too heavy. I assume that what I want to do is make the next pass so that the wheel tracks would be about 4 1/2 feet from the previous ones. But thatís just my intuition, and I haven't yet seen any printed advise to support this idea. If anyone knows of a general rule for this, would you please share it with me?

fishinpa
06-11-2006, 08:33 AM
....Well, I'm sure I don't want one of the wheel tracks for the next pass to be 9 feet away from the previous ones, because if I did that, there would be virtually no fertilizer on the ground half way between. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to run over one of the previous wheel tracks, as I had always done with my drop spreader, because the application would be too heavy. I assume that what I want to do is make the next pass so that the wheel tracks would be about 4 1/2 feet from the previous ones. But thatís just my intuition, and I haven't yet seen any printed advise to support this idea. If anyone knows of a general rule for this, would you please share it with me?

There is the theory of 1/2 rating the application starting in the North-South direction, then re-cover the area in the East-West direction. You and I have discussed this in emails, but I wanted to "put it out there" for others to consider and mull over.

For most applications I just guess at the width of the pass in one direction and have not had any "visible" issues.

lawnstriper23
06-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Larry, I have to agree with your theory on this one. Up until this point I was considering getting the edge guard also, but now I don't this so. I have a friend that "drops" around beds and walkways the broadcasts the rest. I personally don't worry about the beds too much and try to apply when it's dry out, then fire-up the blower and clean off the drive and sidewalk before everything gets wet. I know that is not always possible, but I try to do it that way.

To all: The rain guard is great as well as a great idea. I mean to say that: getting your fert down as close to actual rain is the preferred application method for most products. So occasionally you will be pushing this thing as "Mother Nature" arrives a few hours early. I've applied "too close" to the rain a few times and with the cover on, I didn't have to worry about the fert getting wet and clumping up inside the spreader. I DON'T think it would hold 50lbs of fert in the unit if I was to somehow tip the unit over though.

Considering that I had a Scotts Edgeguard spreader before the Earthway and had no problems with uneven results due to the edgeguard, I thought I'd give the edgeguard a try with the Earthway. Its your choice if you want to use the edgeguard, so by all means do what you want because its your lawn. I tend to like the edgeguard because of all my flowers and plants in my flowerbed that I really don't want to replace due to overspray of fertilizer.

As for the rain cover, I tend to like the added insurance when I am tracking through my yard and up the 8 foot mound in my backyard. I am not too worried about holding 50 lbs of fertilier in my hopper becuase the rough area of my yard is in the back and that is the area I tend to fertilize last.

Its your choice to buy these items and I was only putting the information out there for other users who might be intrested.

LarryF
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Considering that I had a Scotts Edgeguard spreader before the Earthway ...............

Sorry about that! I didn't mean for my post to sound like I was criticizing you or anyone else who had bought the Earthway-spreader edgeguard. And I still have a high opinion of Earthway's spreader and I thank you for finding a bargain for me. But the question actually applies to all spreaders with that design. I had sent essentially the same inquiry to Scotts in regard to its Edgeguard spreader. Haven't gotten an answer yet, but in due time I probably will. I'm curious to see what they write when they do respond. Maybe something is happening that I don't realize, but it still seems to me that if fertilizer intended to be broadcast over several feet is instead funneled down to about an inch, that can't be too good for the grass where it lands.

lawnstriper23
06-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Larry,
I just re-read my post and I did come off kind of harse and I am sorry for that. Guess I should have re-read it before posting.
I bought the edge guard due to my experience with the Scott's. I didn't have any streaking due to the amount of fertilizer being deflected by the edgeguard. Also like I mentioned, I (or should I say, my wife) has $100's of dollars invested in flowers, shrubs, etc for the flowerbeds and I need to keep the fertilizer out of the beds. I did consider the drop spreader method, but I really don't think the wife will go for buying another spreader (you know how those women are :rolleyes: ).
I would also contact Lesco in regards to the edgeguard because they too offer one for their speaders. I am curious to see what Scott's has to say about the edgeguard. Please keep me informed regarding your findings on the edgeguard. :usflag:

LarryF
06-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Larry,
I would also contact Lesco in regards to the edgeguard because they too offer one for their speaders. I am curious to see what Scott's has to say about the edgeguard. Please keep me informed regarding your findings on the edgeguard. :usflag:

I had brought a sample of my soil to Lesco for analysis, but the report won't be ready until next week. When I pick it up, I'll surely ask them the same question about the potential to funnel the fertilizer to a small area when their edgeguard is in place. In the past, I've always gotten credible answers from Lesco, and that's something I can't really say about most other places where I've shopped for lawn-related items. I'll report on what they say about this, and I'll do the same if Scotts sends me a response. My usual experience when I send email asking pointed questions, however, is that if they do respond, I get a response to some other question.

lawnstriper23
06-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Well, I just used my Earthway 2170 last night for the first time and it worked out great. Much better than the Scotts Edgeguard that I use to own. Easier to push, more stable, better controllers, etc. The edgeguard worked like a charm :) Overall I am very pleased with this purchase :)
My neighbor decided to walk over to ask if he could use the new spreader (keep in mind that this is the same neighbor that use to borrow my Scotts spreader and never washed it out after using it and on few occasions I had to walk over to his house to get it back) and I kinda laughed in his face and told him to take a hike :walking: . I told him that he needs to get his own equipment because I am not the local rental shop (this guy borrows everything from hammers, screwdrivers, drills, paint brushes, etc.). He got kind of pissed and said that he would just come over when I wasn't home to ask the wife to borrow the spreader (is this guy for real?). I am all about being nice to they neighbor, but this guy is going to get drop kicked if he ever trys something like that.
Alright, I am done ranting about that :dizzy:

lawnstriper23
06-15-2006, 08:57 AM
When I pick it up, I'll surely ask them the same question about the potential to funnel the fertilizer to a small area when their edgeguard is in place. In the past, I've always gotten credible answers from Lesco, and that's something I can't really say about most other places where I've shopped for lawn-related items. I'll report on what they say about this, and I'll do the same if Scotts sends me a response. My usual experience when I send email asking pointed questions, however, is that if they do respond, I get a response to some other question.

Larry, I talked to somebody at Lesco about the edgeguard and brought up your point about the distribution of fertilizer when the edgeguard is active. He said that the Lesco spreader has an option to turn off one of the three holes at the bottom of the hopper so it regulates the amount of fertilier being dropped. Makes perfect sense to me. Thinking about it, I wish the Earthway had this option, but I'm not overally concerned about it because the lawn will look just fine. Another option with the Earthway and the edgeguard would be to change the settings around the beds so less fertilizer is being dropped. :usflag:

LarryF
06-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Larry, I talked to somebody at Lesco about the edgeguard and brought up your point about the distribution of fertilizer when the edgeguard is active. He said that the Lesco spreader has an option to turn off one of the three holes at the bottom of the hopper so it regulates the amount of fertilier being dropped.

Thanks Lawnstiper23! I hadn't gotten to the Lesco store yet, but I did get a response from Scotts, and it sounds like they do something similar to drop less fertilizer when the guard is activated. The essence of their response is as follows:

"The Scotts Edguard has a baffle feature that reduces the size of the hopper opening when the edge feature is engaged. This prevents too much fertilizer from being dispensed."

It's not clear to me how that modifies the shape of the distribution, but maybe it does. I guess the only way one could know for sure would be to conduct an experiment something like what is described on this web site, but with the edgeguard activated.

http://aggie-turf.tamu.edu/aggieturf2/calibration/rotaryspreader1.html

LarryF
06-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I stopped at a Lesco store today and tried to see how they handle their edgeguard. By looking at the literature, I got the impression they have a different name for it. Most of the spreaders they had assembled in that shop didn't have the edgeguard, but the real expensive ones that were engine driven did. Lesco seems to have a much better design than other spreader manufacturers. The guard looks like a plastic pipe (about 3" in diameter) cut in half and curved so when the impeller throws the fertilizer grains, they hit the inside surface of this curved-pipe deflector and shoot them to the front and opposite side of the spreader; i.e., it doesn't just drop them in a small area below the guard. I was told that the push-type spreaders can accept the same deflector. But they had about a half dozen of the push types assembled and none had the deflector, so I presume it isn't such a popular item for them.