PDA

View Full Version : Need suggetions on a sprinkler system

ShawnDH
05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I live in Norcross, GA (metro Atlanta area) and I'm thinking about getting a small sprinkler system installed. I have about 3500 sq ft of grass to cover but I'm not able to cover all of the odd stretches with regular water hoses. I have a 30ft stretch that goes away from the yard and around a curb and a small strip of grass on the opposite side of the drive way that I have to water separate. I have to do an orchestrated sequence in order to water the whole yard and now that the heat is here, it's more important than ever to water correctly. I'm also going on vacation for about 2 weeks and I think my fescue will die if I leave it to the rain to keep it hydrated.

So with all that said, does anyone have suggestions on the kind of system I need and or a good place that will give me a consultation? I'm trying to find out a ball park figure of how much it will cost and how much damage it will do to my lawn to install. Or should I just do the best I can untill the fall and install and replant any damaged grass.

MikeA
05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
One suggestion, don't let them do the work after a big rain storm. I had a system installed and it rained the day before. They used a lawn tractor to pull the pipe through the ground but apparently the ground was soft in places because if the rain and it got ripped up pretty good. If not for that, the damage wasn't terrible

lawnmaniac883
05-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Just call up a local irrigation installer and let them worry about the details. A good installer will design and install a very good system usually at a surprisingly good price. The last system I had installed down here on one of my properties ran about 1300$ that included a well pump, five taps and three zones with all heads and rotors installed. Not to shabby.

ShawnDH
05-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Just call up a local irrigation installer and let them worry about the details. A good installer will design and install a very good system usually at a surprisingly good price. The last system I had installed down here on one of my properties ran about 1300$ that included a well pump, five taps and three zones with all heads and rotors installed. Not to shabby.

Sounds good to me. I'll start getting quotes

LarryF
05-26-2006, 08:00 AM

Certainly not shabby! I had a quote recently for $5,000, and that did not include a well pump, only a hook-up to my house's water line. I passed on the offer. Would you be willing to share how many sprinkler heads that included and how big your lot is?

MikeA
05-26-2006, 08:45 AM
In NJ I paid about $1400. I have 6 zones, about 27 heads(100x150 lot). They tapped it directly into my water line.

lawnmaniac883
05-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Larry, I cannot remember off the top of my head how many heads but IIRC there were 3 zones with a mix of rainbird 1800 series sprays and some rotors. Nice system of course I know the installer well and have used him on several properties. Prices are subject to change from region to region, if you think you are getting ripped then take some photos of your property and post them up in the irrigation forum and see what they would charge. All in approximation of course.

LarryF
05-27-2006, 09:29 PM
In NJ I paid about $1400. I have 6 zones, about 27 heads(100x150 lot). They tapped it directly into my water line.

Well, based on your $1,500 number for a 1/3 acre, maybe the 5 grand number I got isn't that far off. I have an acre and it's also in NJ, but on the other hand a lot of it wouldn't need the sprinklers since there's a big driveway, the house & patio and about 6-to-8 thousand sq ft of woods.

Lawnmaniac, that's a good suggestion, an idea I didn't consider at all. Thanks! I'll give it some thought. I had never looked at the irrigation forum, and before I go farther down this path, perhaps I'd benefit by learning more about this topic. That sounds like it would be a good place to start.

lawnmaniac883
05-29-2006, 06:16 PM
All areas are different, is your 1acre wide open turf or not? Large rotors could cover a really big area and still be very cost efficient to run and install. Hell, rainbird just came out with rotors that run ^90ft apart.

LarryF
05-29-2006, 10:32 PM
All areas are different, is your 1acre wide open turf or not? Large rotors could cover a really big area and still be very cost efficient to run and install. Hell, rainbird just came out with rotors that run ^90ft apart.
I think it's pretty open. Here's the plot plan, and there's a wooded area with no lawn for the last 40 feet on the west side of the lot and also trees with lawn under them on the east side.

lawnmaniac883
05-30-2006, 05:42 PM
That could be irrigated fairly easily. Shouldnt cost no 5k to get water to it...

LarryF
05-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Shouldnt cost no 5k to get water to it...

That's the way I felt, but then again, "great minds think alike"! Don't they? :) Thanks for the feedback. Getting a sprinkler system installed isn't really one of my high-priority items, but if the bid had been half of what it was, I might have gone for it. But I was also disappointed at the haphazard way the estimate was done. I offered the plot plan with dimensions with the expectation that it could be used to mark off the location of each head and the area it would water, but everything was verbal with a lot of arm waving. So I wasn't sure of what I would be getting.

Right now I have a couple of those traveling sprinklers with 150' hoses for use with each and reels to store the hoses when I'm not watering the lawn. Using them is time consuming, I admit, but I like the fact that I can adjust the spray width and that it gives the area coverd a good soaking. This year, we've had a lot of rain in NJ, but I expect I'll be using the travelers at least a couple of days a week during July and August. I doubt if I'll need them much the rest of the year. That's another reason, of course, for pausing before handing out 5 grand.

lawnmaniac883
06-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Yes that is true as well. You might try calling up a different company for an estimate. Hell even if it costs ya some money for the estimate atleast you'll know ballpark what it'll cost. I wish we could get some more rain down here. Today was the first rain in 3 months. In florida irrigation is a must; up there it is a so so item I suppose?

VWBOBD
06-02-2006, 11:00 PM

Im also in n Ga. , I had a quote of over 10 grand, I educated myself and installed a 24 zone 73 head system myself. I have had about 20 compliments
from professional contractors at my design and coverage, especially since I had not ever done this before. total cost including trenching (i was prepping my 1.25 acres for sodding) $2800.00!!! (+ a butt load of time!!)

LarryF
06-03-2006, 07:29 AM
I educated myself and installed a 24 zone 73 head system myself.

Congratulations! :weightlifter: :clapping: Did you rent a machine to bury the pipe? If so, what kind? And what were your sources for material? Mail order? Local plumbing store? Home Depot/Lowes?

VWBOBD
06-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Congratulations! :weightlifter: :clapping: Did you rent a machine to bury the pipe? If so, what kind? And what were your sources for material? Mail order? Local plumbing store? Home Depot/Lowes?

I got some of it from irrigation supply house, some from lowes and my pipe and fittings from plumbing supplier( all 3/4" pcv).
I have had no problems with heads, have great coverage and the 73 heads dont include all the micro sprayers throughout my plant and shrub beds.

Dirty Water
06-05-2006, 12:10 AM
I got some of it from irrigation supply house, some from lowes and my pipe and fittings from plumbing supplier( all 3/4" pcv).
I have had no problems with heads, have great coverage and the 73 heads dont include all the micro sprayers throughout my plant and shrub beds.

No wonder you needed 24 zones to do only 73 heads if you ran it all on 3/4"

I did a 103 head system with only 12 zones a few weeks ago;.

:laugh:

Go with a professional people.

VWBOBD
06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
No wonder you needed 24 zones to do only 73 heads if you ran it all on 3/4"

I did a 103 head system with only 12 zones a few weeks ago;.

:laugh:

Go with a professional people.
well, ...The biggest irrigation contractor in the area checked it out and offered me a job designing systems for him...so , whatever
your my idol!!

Dirty Water
06-05-2006, 10:38 PM
well, ...The biggest irrigation contractor in the area checked it out and offered me a job designing systems for him...so , whatever
your my idol!!

That means nothing, I have yet to find a large irrigation contractor that installs worth a crap.

VWBOBD
06-06-2006, 02:14 AM
That means nothing, I have yet to find a large irrigation contractor that installs worth a crap.

nothing seems to satisfy you, id bet my work would kick your works ass, and my daddy can whoop your daddy too:)

Dirty Water
06-06-2006, 02:33 AM
nothing seems to satisfy you, id bet my work would kick your works ass, and my daddy can whoop your daddy too:)

Got a digital cam? lets see some pictures of your pipework.