PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping Job

EagleLandscape
05-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Here are some pics of a job I started on Tuesday and finished by Wendesday.

Backyard used to be all grass and weeds, and I installed a decomposed granite pathway and used beds for the rest of the yard.

Plants include: Phormium x 'New Zealand', Aloe Vera, Rosemary, Rhododendron x 'Fashion', Variegated Privet, Clara Indian Hawthorne, Begonias, Loropettalum, Aspidistra, Sedums, Dusty Miller, Liriope muscari, Lamb's Ear, Savlia greggii, Leucophyllum.

Used 7 yards of decompossed granite, and 4 yards of mulch, and 7 yards of soil mix. 280 linear feet of edging to contain the pathway.

Backyard was $5000, tree ring was $1000, and misc work in another bed and sprinkler adjustment to fit new plants was around $400. Total costs were $3009 at completion.

The placement and selection of the containers are from the homeowner, and the guy also used a can of marking paint I left one night and doctored up some stuff on his own. So don't blame me for the bright orange paint on the fence.:dizzy:

EagleLandscape
05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
more.......................................

ajordan193
05-27-2006, 04:08 AM
nice work....looks good

MMLawn
05-27-2006, 11:45 AM
I take it you don't have a lot of experience on building stone retaining walls?

br549oicu8
05-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Thought this might help Mr. Sarcasm.

http://haixg.en.alibaba.com/product/50067398/50306967/Outdoor_Supplies/Folding_Shovel.html

You can take it with you to get "digs" in while in the field!!!

EagleLandscape
05-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Only retaining wall I built was this 145' long wall, about 6' all. Rip Rap retaining wall with conrete bags. There are tilted stones in that wall and I've since gone back and straightened them, but it's a tiny wall and doesn't need much strength.
Thanks for the constructive comment though:)

MMLawn
05-28-2006, 11:01 PM
........ There are tilted stones in that wall and I've since gone back and straightened them........

So you did know exactly why I ask. Good. YOu should now post those pics after the repair.

Thanks for the constructive comment though:)

No problem :rolleyes:

Dirty Water
05-28-2006, 11:58 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57564&d=1148608385

Is it me, or did you cover the trunk of that tree with 2' of top soil?

EagleLandscape
05-29-2006, 03:18 PM
To reply to the last one, the crown of the tree has like 3" of soil over it. I am very aware of covering inside the drip area with soil and having that prevent proper aeration. This was not the case in this install. I am actually very against "tree rings" such as these, but it's something the customer wanted. I know it looks like there is alot of soil on top of the root zone, but the elevation was broght up with excess river rocks from the backyard, and then decompossed granite. all which provide great drainage and aeration. No need to worry:)

sheshovel
05-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Looks like you did a real nice job .Good work!
There IS need to worry about the tree though . Drainage is not the issue here it is crown rot that will occur eventually even with putting drainage rock and DG .Do not add ANY material around the base of a tree and contain it like that.I like your work though and love pics.Thanks for showing us.

Gatewayuser
05-30-2006, 12:45 AM
The walk should have been wider at the gate and no wall around the tree other then that it looks great.

EagleLandscape
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Now looking back at the one picture of that tree ring, I see how ya'll thought there was 2' of soil around the crown of the tree. And yes, that's what it looks like, except the front yard has a negative slope to it, and the rear of the wall is about 3"-4" tall. So the front is about 2', but the back is only a few inches, and still the crown of the tree only has a few inches of soil around it. And since it was a Quercus virginiana, it's roots aren't normally exposed as this one was above soil grade. Over time the soil had eroded away from the crown of the tree, so all in all the ring will not promote crown rot. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Next time I'm in that area, I'll take a picture from the side so it will be a little clearer on what I did. Until next time...