PDA

View Full Version : Kubota ZG20 or Hustler FasTrak

smaggard
05-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I am currently looking at buying my first ZTR to mow my residential property of about 4.5 acres. I really like the Kubota ZG 20 and the Hustler Fastrak. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations between the two. Also, what about a 20HP Honda on the Fastrak versus a 20 HP Kohler on Kubota. Is this enough power for these heavy machines? I think Kubota is the only shaft driven machine availalbe so any advice on this also would be helpful!!!

Thanks,

Scott

TriplePLandscaping
05-26-2006, 09:20 AM
zg20 is the 48" right? ive got a 48" ferris w/ 21hp kaw, and it never really bogs down even in 6+ inches of grass. only time it does bog down was when i was cutting uphill on a pretty steep incline. the 1500z weighs about 1000 something pounds and it can go 10mph, so i think youll be alright w/ a 20hp engine, unless your goin uphill cutting grass.

ps. those kubota are pretty nice lookin!

smaggard
05-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, 48" is the one I was looking at in the ZG20. Also, Kohler Commad Pro or Honda?

dfischer
05-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Both good enough motors to call it even. Which dealer do you like better?

Have you looked at the hydro's? Wheel size? (ride Q)

Personally, I think highly of Kubota...

dfischer
05-28-2006, 01:55 AM
btw, that might be a bit short on power for mulching a well maintained (thick, healthy) grass.

I'm using a 757 (25 hp) Deere w/60" deck. I can easily bog it down while mulching in dense grass more then 3" over cut height. I'm cutting twice a week or I'd be in trouble....

I was I had more like 29 hp...

zgman
05-28-2006, 03:41 AM
I've owned both, the Kubota definitely leaves a great cut and stripes (with no stripe kit). Make sure you have a local dealer whatever mower you go with.

The thing I didn't like about the fastrak were the small rear tires and ground speed. I had the 18hp/44" deck, but it has the same speed as the 20hp. The frame is built like a tank though and there are lots of mower accesories. The Honda is also much quieter and smoother than the Kholer.

I've attached a pic of the 2 for a side by side comparison. Also, a pic of my back yard a few months ago with the Kubota, excuse the crooked lines, that's from my kids riding their power wheels.

jdlynch
05-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for posting the pics zgman.

I have been considering a ZG20 for some time now but was afraid to bite the bullet because of several complaints on cut quality.

Your lawn looks beautiful with those awesome stripes. How does it look up close though? Is the cut smooth and consistent?

Also, any idea how the Kubota will perform with their mulch kit?

David

zgman
05-28-2006, 03:05 PM
My lawn looks better now than the picture given all the rain we've had and fert kicking in. I don't like the suspension seat, it doesn't seem to do a good job over bumps. The spindles require periodic greasing, but otherwise maintenance is minimal. The manual doesn't require an oil change but every 200 hours, though I'll still do it every season.

I don't have the mulch kit, my grass is pretty thick I'd rather just let it fly. Sometimes I'll mow twice if it's too long. I'll just set the deck a little higher on my second pass. I use the accelerator bagger for my front yard.

I was able to ride mine around to get a feel for the controls, see if they'll let you demo one. Try several mowers so you have something to compare it to.

smaggard
05-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I have decided against the Hustler but now introduced one more machine to look at, any advice on the Bad Boy Pup???

nmurph
05-31-2006, 08:39 AM
go to the Hustler forum and read. the Mini z 19/52 might be the ticket for you.

nmurph
05-31-2006, 11:28 AM
double post