PDA

View Full Version : diesel Vs Gas help!

Lynden-Jeff
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi,

Looking at purchasing a pickup for both pulling a landscaping trailor and plowing. Im looking at a diesel GMC 1500 4X4. What is diesel like? Are they easy to maintain and drive? I know they have a lot of power which I would prefer for both towing and plowing but Im not sure as to how long they last? How many KM (or Miles) can I get out of a 6.5L turbo diesel? Also whats the gas milage like?

Cheers
Jeff

texas
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
i like chevies too but sry, 1500s dont have diesels.:)

PLM-1
05-26-2006, 01:08 PM
i like chevies too but sry, 1500s dont have diesels.:)
He's talking about the older style, yes they have diesels in the 1/2 tons. I'm not a huge fan of the 6.2 and 6.5 . They don't have great power, but they do have pretty decent fuel economy. I've seen many with well over 225k miles on them.

Lynden-Jeff
05-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I was confused to. Its a 98. I was told by a mechanic today that the 6.5 duramax diesels suck and a dodge or ford would be much better. He actually said a ram 2500 with cummins and solid front axel would be better for plowing and work then a GM with independent front suspension. Is this true?

Cheers
Jeff

PLM-1
05-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I was confused to. Its a 98. I was told by a mechanic today that the 6.5 duramax diesels suck and a dodge or ford would be much better. He actually said a ram 2500 with cummins and solid front axel would be better for plowing and work then a GM with independent front suspension. Is this true?

Cheers
Jeff

It's actually a 6.6, but i have one and i won't drive a powerjoke with the torquesh*t or a cumapart. I drove all 3 before i bought my duramax. Check out dieselplace.com and see what they think about everything!

TriplePLandscaping
05-26-2006, 03:08 PM
ford vs. chevy vs. dodge thats what it all comes down to. only way youll get straight answers is to test one yourself. everyone else has opionions. i drive a chevy, but love the new superduties and the new dodges, so it all comes down to personal preferences.

texas
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
sry. if you would've just told me....:hammerhead: j/k:)

PJDiesel
05-26-2006, 06:23 PM
As with anyting, the guy who owns a Ford is going to tell you how Dodge & Chevy are a heap.
I'm a Cummins guy, so naturally I think they are the best.
Fact of the matter is, Dodge is THE ONLY truck with a true medium duty inline 6. It is the most comparable (and scaled down version) of what you see in the big rigs.
Anyone who thinks the 6.0 is a good motor is smoking the good stuff, Ford is up to their ears in warranty work and has abondoned the engine all together for next model year.
The Duramin has it's merits, good mileage, the new reports comming in are showing some longevity.

Get a truck thats PROVEN to run 500K miles, a CUMMINS!:clapping:

ripple
05-26-2006, 07:29 PM
As with anyting, the guy who owns a Ford is going to tell you how Dodge & Chevy are a heap.
I'm a Cummins guy, so naturally I think they are the best.
Fact of the matter is, Dodge is THE ONLY truck with a true medium duty inline 6. It is the most comparable (and scaled down version) of what you see in the big rigs.
Anyone who thinks the 6.0 is a good motor is smoking the good stuff, Ford is up to their ears in warranty work and has abondoned the engine all together for next model year.
The Duramin has it's merits, good mileage, the new reports comming in are showing some longevity.

Get a truck thats PROVEN to run 500K miles, a CUMMINS!:clapping:
What he said.....

But as a lco you dont do a million miles so just get what works in your budget!
I have over combined 200,000 miles on my trouble free duramaxes.

Deere_Daze
05-26-2006, 09:44 PM
A diesel is nice for the power and fuel economy, but you have to drive a lot of miles to make up for the added cost of buying a truck with a diesel engine.

cet
05-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a 2000 Dodge 3500 Cummins. This thing will push snow with ease. It has 205,000 Km and no sign of engine or transmission problems. The front end sucks. I had a 1994 3500 SRW with the 6.5, this was the best truck I ever had. A friend of mine has the same truck(1996) with 270,000Km with just normal wear and tear. I think the problem with the 1500 diesel is the extra weight of the plow and the engine is a lot to ask from a 1500. If you are going to do local towing and residential driveways for plowing I would look at a Z71 with the 5.3 and look after it and you should be happy.

janb
05-27-2006, 02:54 AM
... Its a 98. I was told by a mechanic today that the 6.5 duramax diesels suck ... solid front axel would be better for plowing and work then a GM with independent front suspension. Is this true?

can this be a duramax?? (I don't think so...) must be a GM diesel, not an Izuzu (duramax)

I prefer solid axle for robust (important with plow hanging off the frt) and fewer moving parts to break. I'll be interested in good turning radius (and of course... would use a 1st gen Dodge w cummins (good traction ... :) , heavy :weightlifter: engine)

fiveoboy01
05-28-2006, 01:29 AM

I'll agree with you there. The Cummins is a great motor in Dodge's trucks. Too bad the truck itself isn't in the same league as Ford or GM's offerings. JMO:)

Though I really don't think too highly of it in medium duty applications. It pretty much was a gutless POS in FL70s when we had them. All our M2s have C7s in them now, and the FL70s we used to have or still have(if they're a bit old) have 3126s in them.

I'll agree the 6.0, while it has good power, is/was somewhat of a reliability nightmare. They do seem to have worked quite a few bugs out of it. Do you have a source/link to show that Ford is axing it? I'm not being argumentitive, I'd just like to read up on it. The 7.3 was a much better engine.

FIRESCOOBY
05-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Like has been said...it's NOT a Duramax.

Diesels were only offered in 1/2 ton trucks, suburbans, and tahoes until 1998. The truck you are looking at is an older body style with the 6.5 GM diesel. I've VERY rarely heard anything good about these trucks.

The replacement (Isuzu/Duramax 6.6L) has so far been fairly good. It's had it's share (mainly injector problems).

I'd choose a 1998 1500 with a 350 or 454 before I would play with a 6.5.

lawnmaniac883
05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Those 6.5L engines are LOUD...