PDA

View Full Version : Family Business Question

lawnmasters05
05-27-2006, 01:27 AM
I got my start around this time last year and my son has been working with me from the start. Together we have built 60 customers we service weekly and some bi-weekly. This will be our 1st full year and we are projected to gross around 100k. My question is my son is 18 and is a mowing machine. He has been mowing since he was 14 around the neighborhood and I must say we compliment each other very well in the feild so I feel that if this is what he wants to do, then I should make him an equal partner. What do ya think?

Robert

dcgreenspro
05-27-2006, 01:37 AM
see if he wants to attend college first. You guys sound like you have your act togather so you can pick up some part time help for the early spring and fall work. if he really wants to do this, send him to turf school so your business will be that much better.

KLR
05-27-2006, 07:17 PM
my 20 year old son carrys much of the weight of the business. however, because he is only 20 and can have a quick change of mind on his career at the drop of a pin... I will not make him a partner.

I hope he takes over completly in a few years. at that time maybe a partnership... but i'm thinkin Operation Manager is more likely.

he is a bright guy. always did very well in school....but hated being a student. So he wasnt looking at college. Now he takes college courses (nothing that will lead to a degree but he has certificates of completion in some business management and accounting)

lawnmasters05
05-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Very helpful guys. My son had a tough time in school and is in the process of getting his ged. He is going to take some courses for certification on turf management. The way we do things now, it already seems like a partnership so maybe I should just leave it alone and allow things to take its course. One thing I have explained to him is we need to take this up to the 200K to provide good incomes for both of us. I think down the road, he will be able to handle most the maintenance and I will handle the installs and renovations of course we will need a second truck and trailer but all in time.

AintNoFun
05-27-2006, 07:50 PM
ahhh education is overrated, especially for this industry.

Very helpful guys. My son had a tough time in school and is in the process of getting his ged. He is going to take some courses for certification on turf management.

Lumberjack
05-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Intelligence is a bit over-rated but dont let him shortchange his options. For now ship him back to school to at least learn a fall back trade or perhaps business management. ...

cessnasovereign
05-28-2006, 12:05 PM
my 20 year old son carrys much of the weight of the business. however, because he is only 20 and can have a quick change of mind on his career at the drop of a pin...

I'll agree with that! I'll be 21 in July and two years ago (up until the first of this year) I was working in a funeral home on track to be a funeral director, then I decided I want to be a flight nurse (NO nothing girlie about that, in fact almost all of them are guys), well now here I am. But I really think I found something that makes me happy. I don't mind going to work in the morning anymore. Now, I'm not a part timer, I have over 20 regular accounts PLUS three apartment complexes worth $37,000 a year! And soon to be 41 yards for a HOA. Business was going then it just took off with the commercial acounts, my goal for next season is to have over $100,000 in commercial accounts not to mention residentials and to have my friend who is currently a heating and air tech manager, to be my 2nd crew leader.
I'm already 1/3 of the way there so I'm pretty confident I'll exceed my goal for next year. Maybe if your son was a 50/50 partner, he wouldn't lose interest when he's making over $1,000 a week. No way in heck I'd go back to a job making $500 a week working 10 times as much too!

lawnmasters05
05-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll agree with that! I'll be 21 in July and two years ago (up until the first of this year) I was working in a funeral home on track to be a funeral director, then I decided I want to be a flight nurse (NO nothing girlie about that, in fact almost all of them are guys), well now here I am. But I really think I found something that makes me happy. I don't mind going to work in the morning anymore. Now, I'm not a part timer, I have over 20 regular accounts PLUS three apartment complexes worth $37,000 a year! And soon to be 41 yards for a HOA. Business was going then it just took off with the commercial acounts, my goal for next season is to have over $100,000 in commercial accounts not to mention residentials and to have my friend who is currently a heating and air tech manager, to be my 2nd crew leader.
I'm already 1/3 of the way there so I'm pretty confident I'll exceed my goal for next year. Maybe if your son was a 50/50 partner, he wouldn't lose interest when he's making over $1,000 a week. No way in heck I'd go back to a job making $500 a week working 10 times as much too!

Yes, he will make alot more but he will also learn that he is spending alot more to operate. No more guaranteed rate.

dtelawncare
05-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Education is never over rated. How many degrees or certifications you have may be. Being truly educated does not mean you have to have a masters or PHD. The more I deal with this business, I see the need to go back to school. I have seen that I can make more in one day doing a nice landscaping job than I make in three days of just cutting grass. Knowledge is Power.

Randy J
05-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Education is never over rated. How many degrees or certifications you have may be. Being truly educated does not mean you have to have a masters or PHD. The more I deal with this business, I see the need to go back to school. I have seen that I can make more in one day doing a nice landscaping job than I make in three days of just cutting grass. Knowledge is Power.

Amen! Doesn't matter what you do, education is never over-rated. I think I'd let things alone for now. In a couple of years, you may want to hand the reins to your son, and work for him - let him deal with the day to day hassles of running a business. I would suggest that you encourage him to not only take some turf classes, but also some business classes. Running a successful business isn't as easy as some make it seem.

lawnmasters05
05-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Amen! Doesn't matter what you do, education is never over-rated. I think I'd let things alone for now. In a couple of years, you may want to hand the reins to your son, and work for him - let him deal with the day to day hassles of running a business. I would suggest that you encourage him to not only take some turf classes, but also some business classes. Running a successful business isn't as easy as some make it seem.

You got that right. Almost 2 years into this and finally able to see a net profit. If it was not for my years of experience in running restaurants, we would have been done in the 1st 6 months. There are some great programs I can enroll him. Thanks for helping me expand my thinking on this.

JJLandscapes
05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
u dont need a college education to tell you one landscaping job can make you more money than 3 days of cutting all you need is a brain that works and uses common sense

the most important thing is knowing how to run a business before starting a landscaping business.. Either from real world working or college whatever will help you the most some people dont need either and are just born with it i know tons of people with only HS educations that are beyond rich

JJLandscapes
05-29-2006, 01:47 PM
If your son knows he is getting the company when you decide to retire then i dont think he will care if he is 50/50 ... If you both started together at the same time u should have been 50/50 from the begining but if its your company from the start then maybe dont say half is his but pay him a bigger cut of the action so he is happy and wont get bored

What percentage of the net profits does he get a week?

lawnmasters05
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
If your son knows he is getting the company when you decide to retire then i dont think he will care if he is 50/50 ... If you both started together at the same time u should have been 50/50 from the begining but if its your company from the start then maybe dont say half is his but pay him a bigger cut of the action so he is happy and wont get bored

What percentage of the net profits does he get a week?

Right now what I do is pay him $1000 per month and myself $1200 per month. I pay myself the extra $200 per month because I handle the books. Cash flow has been a huge issue but we are finally starting to see some light. We will hit 1700 net before taxes this month on $6800 in gross. Would have been even better but I sub contracted out some side jobs I was not able to get to and after evaluating our lawn accounts, I was able to put them into a 3 1/2 day week so that opened up 1 1/2 days plus saturday for side jobs. As far as profits go, we both have agreed that we would like to just work on growing the cash in the bank and go from there.

drmiller100
05-30-2006, 02:07 AM
6800 a month. if you average 30 a lawn, that is 200 cuts a month. which is 50 a week.
which is 15 a day, to make it a 3 day week.
For 2 guys??? Pretty easy to do that around here, but maybe you have a LOT more travel time then me.

So how do you cut that down to 2 days? Look at each job, and see where you spend the most time. At the rate you are at, I bet it is actually mowing.
For me, it is actually trimming. I spend more time trimming then mowing. i can't figure out how to cut time off of mowing, and I can't figure out how to spend less time trimming. My average lawn is 35 bucks, 10,000 square feet, and takes me 22 minutes not counting travel time. that is solo, without a helper. My foreman is focusing on landscapes, as he is better at that then me. I am better selling and mowing.

So, I am looking at how to spend less time travelling. Bought a GPS. looking at routes.

education teaches you to see your bigger problems and not get hung up on small problems. 6900 a month gross in the peak of the season is a big problem. starting out, I did it last year.
may I will end up at 15k. June I'm hoping for 50k. Might not make that though.
doug

Jpocket
05-30-2006, 10:20 PM
my 20 year old son carrys much of the weight of the business. however, because he is only 20 and can have a quick change of mind on his career at the drop of a pin... I will not make him a partner.

I hope he takes over completly in a few years. at that time maybe a partnership... but i'm thinkin Operation Manager is more likely.

he is a bright guy. always did very well in school....but hated being a student. So he wasnt looking at college. Now he takes college courses (nothing that will lead to a degree but he has certificates of completion in some business management and accounting)

Im 20 and completely own my company( except) one truck, and I totally agree with you on him changing his mind about careers at the drop of a hat. Hell just last week I was talking about selling everything and buying a triaxle dump. Now Im back with it. so yea at our age things can change over night...LOL:hammerhead: