PDA

View Full Version : How to mulch my lawn with tractor?

TheVoice
05-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I have a new 54" deck craftsman that came with a mulch kit. I prefer to use it because it don't leave lines in my yard, and it give me a very nice grass look. However whenever I cut with it on, it leaves a lump of cut grass when I stop at. I'm forced to ride to the rear of the house or out to the street before I can stop just to let it dump this huge chunk of grass.

So I have to remove the mulch cover and let it shut out the side but then I'm left with ugly lines of cut grass.

If it's suppose to drop back down on the grass what am I doing wrong?

I've tried it on all type of speeds. I cut when the grasss is dry.

:confused:

ATVracer
05-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Are you using blades that are meant for mulching? The only other thing I can think of is you are cutting too much grass off when you mow. Maybe try mowing more often or cutting less off each time and go from there.

mike lane lawn care
05-27-2006, 11:44 PM
is the grass tall? if so it is clumping under the deck, i scrape the deck every day, but for homeoners, yiu might want to try dedicated mulching blades as mentioned above, but also, non-stick cooking spray coating the underside of the mowing deck might do the trick for you.

dfischer
05-28-2006, 02:32 AM
TV:

My new Deere was doing it too. Here's what I did, in order of importance:

1) Started cutting twice a week (I'm seeing 2" growth per 3 days right now)
2) Pulled the deck, cleaned it to SPOTLESS, painted all bare w/metal rust converter, waited 24 hours, washed again, waited 24 hours, painted w/epoxy eurathane primer, waited 24 hours, painted w/ EZ slide, waited 72 hours, waxed all surfaces twice.
3) Bought a set of Gators, re-sharpened those and the Deere mulching baldes, made washer inserts for the Deere's and set them up as doubles.
4) Cut only in the dry.

No more problems. Deck still builds up inside, but cleans out easy.

Sargosailor
05-28-2006, 09:54 AM
dfischer, Please explain #3. Are you running two blades on a spindle?
Jim

dfischer
05-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes. Called running doubles here on this site, and talked about fairly frequently. A search or two will show you mixed opinions about it.

Pro's: Better mulching, ability to run faster and still cut clean. Seems to take less power to cut and mulch though, which is odd... But that's what's happening.

Cons: Tougher to keep deck balanced, (harder on spindles if not), and boy, does it take a power hit trying to start those blades spinning.

Issues: At least on my deere the spindle has a built in ring around the shaft hole. This means I use a (guess at this point) 5/8 hole blades. But, the shaft is only 1/2". So when I went to use the other set of blades I already owned I found they would have flopped around on the shaft. Balance would have been impossible, and I felt it dangerous. You must either buy a set of blades (again, in my case, probably not most folks) with the smaller shaft hole or, as I did, fab up some washer inserts to reduce the opening size.

BTW, My Gators had a bit more drop then then Deeres, so I placed them on first. Thus my blade cutting height is nearly identical for both bladess, even though they are, at the spindle, stacked.

mike lane lawn care
05-28-2006, 10:47 AM
dfischer, Please explain #3. Are you running two blades on a spindle?
Jim
that what he means, using two blade on a single spindle in an X formation. i hear it works well but have never tried it. do a seach for "double blades"