PDA

View Full Version : Brake controllers?

Tharrell
05-27-2006, 04:49 PM
So, time delay or proportional? I'm at my wits end because everyone is giving me conflicting information. The guy making my trailer is also a hitch installer and he says time delay is what he recommends. What do you guys have and why? What exactly is the difference between the two? I'm thinking the proportional is exactly what it sounds like but, I thought I would run it by some of you guys here. Besides, my trailer won't be ready until July 14th anyway.

fulano
05-27-2006, 04:59 PM
I just bought the least expensive one I could get, I think it is time delay. It is made by valley and cost around $35. The proportional ones are supposed to be nicer, but since I don't tow much this one works okay.

Keith
05-28-2006, 02:00 AM
I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy. It is an inertia activated controller that does not have the drawbacks that some inertia activated controllers do. It can be mounted in most any position, so finding a place for it is not a problem, and it's pretty small. They are about a 100 bucks. And about $10 for the vehicle-specific harness. The harness is not mandatory, but it makes it a plug and play install if your truck has a factory harness in it already.

Here is a explanation of both major types of controllers. http://www.etrailer.com/faq/brakecontrol.asp

Tharrell
05-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks Keith, that was exactly what I was looking for.