PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is a dump truck

Tharrell
05-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I was getting a load of mulch and snapped this pic while waiting to be loaded.
I wonder how many yards of mulch this baby will hold?

Gravel Rat
05-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Actually a end dump like that really doesn't haul that much weight at most you can only legally carry 20 ton where as a regular tandem axle dump truck can carry 15 ton. Those end dumps are made for carrying light bulky material like sawdust or scrap metal.

Palmer'sLS
05-27-2006, 07:30 PM
in virginia, you can gross 84,000 lbs, with a 5% overload. We use our dumps like that to haul everything from snow, salt, to gravel, and yes mulch too

Gravel Rat
05-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Most end dumps here are tridem trailers you can get roughly 30 ton on them the truck is able to gross 110,000lbs with one.

End dumps are only good for hauling material long distances a regular dump truck works better for short distance hauling.

zim bob the landscaper
05-27-2006, 09:36 PM
looks like a fun tie driving that thing with all the ****** these days

Mowingman
05-27-2006, 10:23 PM
That is one of those lightweight, frameless trailers. You can really haul a good payload, but they will turn over easily. I have seen many turned over on just the slightest slope, or, even on level ground if the load sticks on one side.
Just guessing at the size of the trailer, but you should be able to haul about 71 yds.level full.

MMLawn
05-27-2006, 10:25 PM
75 yards.....the same as all other "tractor trailer loads" carry

Gravel Rat
05-27-2006, 10:50 PM
It doesn't take much and a end dump is on its side its prolly why that yard is paved. Regular tandem axle dump trucks roll over too get on any kind of slope with some soft ground over you go.

Tharrell
05-28-2006, 11:22 AM
They haul it all with those dumps. Sand, gravel, mulch. The owner did tell me that driver did turn one over a while back. I watched it go up and down. It went down a lot slower that it went up. Almost seemed to inch it's way down.
And I wasn't talking about weight, rather cubic yards of mulch. Is there a weight calculation for that? ha ha ha

Gravel Rat
05-28-2006, 02:21 PM
The reason why it came down so slow is the hydraulic cylinder takes alot of juice to fully extend it. Takes a while for gravity to force the hyraulic fluid back into the wet tank.

murray83
05-28-2006, 03:09 PM
tons of them around here mostly trucking salt from the mine to the local port's bulk terminal,we use tri axles around this area too starting to see more and more of those rounded bottom dump trailers here now.

the new hip dump truck around here now are double tandems,why on earth anyone would want them i have no clue.

oldrustycars
05-28-2006, 05:11 PM
a buddy was hauling a load of mulch in one of these. dumping on a flat level pad, the load stuck and over it went. they now have liners in them so the load wont hang up. around chicago most all bulk material is hauled in semi dumps in a 25 foot trailer. 72,000 legal gross, about 27-30,000 empty weight. tri axles straight trucks are still considered just a tandem...around 56,000 legal, if i recall.

Gravel Rat
05-28-2006, 06:19 PM
For dump trucks now people are starting to use tridrive trucks they are not tri axles they have 3 driving axles the trucks are good for a legal gross of 66,000lbs. A tandem tandem as Murray mentioned are not used here anymore even for mixer chassis the tridrives replaced them. A tandem tandem doesn't steer worth ****. You can turn the steering wheel as sharp as you want the truck is going to take 10 acres to turn. We are only allowed to gross 73,400lbs with one it is 7000lbs more gvw over the tridrives.

The problem with a tandem tandem is you don't have the braking power the steer axle brakes are not as strong as a drive axle brake.

A regular tandem axle dump legal gross is 57420 you couple a quad axle transfer trailer behind a dump truck now you can gross 132,496lbs those trucks can haul 25 yards of gravel. A truck with a tandem axle pony/pup trailer a regular gravel truck can gross 95,000lbs that combination can carry 18 yards of gravel. They make triaxle pups but they are not used here much as they don't steer that well with 3 trailer axles on the ground with concentrated weight on them.

murray83
05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
oh god you should see these hunks of crap,one i see around town is a 1978 paystar double tandem oh god these things these guys buy should be burned let alone driven ;) when it dumps and pulls away the frame and box look to be ready to snap like a twig.the only thing good on some of them are the beauroc dump body:rolleyes:

Gravel Rat
05-28-2006, 07:29 PM
These guys must be getting the trucks from Quebec they seem to use them alot same with Ontario. You look at any equipment classifieds for trucks forsale in those provinces its all they have. Some of the trucks are L8000 Fords with 7.8 Ford power no Jake and just a 8spd geez those trucks gotta be unbearable to drive.

There are some out there with 6/71 Detroit power they only put out 195hp the engine is screaming b*lls to the walls you don't even bother lifting your right foot off the floor if you do its only for a second. Its pegged to the gov the fuel rack on the 2 strokes have one position and its wide open. You need to drop a gear don't bother using the clutch you can't shift fast enough.

murray83
05-28-2006, 09:10 PM
company i work for bought 4 western star double tandems then everyone else wanted one.

haha funny u mention trannys u see a pile of them at a nearby shop anything from new trannys to an axle snapping in half.

the contractor with the most of them uses junk,3 kenworth possibly W900's i dunno an old paystar and a 2600,2 old beater freightliners and like 3 volvo/autocars where he gets them i don't wanna know.then theres his tandems they're in a little better condition.

pups never took off out this way same as triaxles never see them,i gotta visit out west sometime soon see how things are like out there finally see a scraper lol and an excavator bigger than a 550.

Dirty Water
05-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Around here, everyone uses a regular tandem with a 10 yard pup trailer.

shortgut
05-28-2006, 11:21 PM
QUOTE=MMLawn]75 yards.....the same as all other "tractor trailer loads" carry[/QUOTE]
40ft Frameless End Dump, Asphalt Lift, Coal Chute In Gate, Roll Up Tarp, Air Ride, Budd Wheels, 46 Cu Yd, (do not think that they will hold 75 yrds ) Besides about 25 to 28 ton payload is all that you can haul legal in this area In Texas if you have the overweight permit you can gross 84,000 Lbs, Oklahoma if you do not leave Oklahoma is 86,000 lbs,Ark is 80,000 lbs

oldrustycars
05-28-2006, 11:51 PM
the trouble is that every state has their own weight and bridge laws, and even states next to each other make no attempt at being the same. in wisconsin, a quad axle hauls the same payload as an illinois semi dump. i'd damn sure rather make turns all day in a quad than a semi. in illinois, the bridge formula is so complicated, even the scalemaster has trouble figuring it out. i once got caught over axle limits on a load of rebar on a stepdeck. the scalmemaster spent about a half hour with a calculator figuring out my axle spacings, and what the fine would be, and he was still wrong. the company lawyer got the ticket thrown out.

oldrustycars
05-28-2006, 11:58 PM
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix//trucks/tim_gibson/002.jpg
heres how they do it Michigan. 120,000 gross, i think.

shortgut
05-29-2006, 12:11 AM
These guys must be getting the trucks from Quebec they seem to use them alot same with Ontario. You look at any equipment classifieds for trucks forsale in those provinces its all they have. Some of the trucks are L8000 Fords with 7.8 Ford power no Jake and just a 8spd geez those trucks gotta be unbearable to drive.

There are some out there with 6/71 Detroit power they only put out 195hp the engine is screaming b*lls to the walls you don't even bother lifting your right foot off the floor if you do its only for a second. Its pegged to the gov the fuel rack on the 2 strokes have one position and its wide open. You need to drop a gear don't bother using the clutch you can't shift fast enough.
when I 1st started driving a truck the old guy that was teaching me told me that one thing to rememberto do uif I want the 318 detriot to last was to leave my thumb in the door when I shut it so that I was pissed off and drove the piss out of the truck trying to make it blow up never did jerk a liner by lugging the engine I always drove comfortable (BOTH FEET FLAT ON THE FLOOR )

Gravel Rat
05-29-2006, 12:11 AM
There is so much rubber on the ground that truck must just go straight :confused:

With our rules that truck wouldn't be legal too many axles on the ground

The truck and the first trailer we could legally gross 98,000lbs, the way that truck is set up now it could gross 181,700lbs.

Buckeye Lawncare
05-30-2006, 01:01 AM
For the past two years I have worked for a local trucking company servicing their trucks on the weekends. The company has 21 tractor trailer combos that run Mon-Fri. They haul sand and gravel from quarries to construction companies. All the trucks except for three are Mack (The others are Pete's). Some of the trucks have regular frame trailer ranging in length from 25' to 45'. Those trucks can haul about 22-23 tons without being overweight. A couple weeks ago they bought three frameless trailers (Like the one pictured at the beginning) The frameless trailers can haul 26-27 tons. The drivers are paid by the ton, therefore the guys that have the frameless are getting paid alot more than the other guys. As far as how mulch they can haul is not very much, just because the sides aren't high enough to take the amount of mulch to take the truck to its legal weight of 80,000lbs in the state of Ohio

*** By the way that truck with the Pup trailer, has 42 tires on it (10 axles*4 tires per axle + front steer axle) I would hate to see the bill for new tires for that thing

RedWolf
06-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Hell I use to work for this guy that had a twin screw Autocar 62 and a 70 brockway.both had 12 yard bodys and you just couldnt kill`em.when he went under i got the brockway.Its got the 318 detriot and 10 speed tranny.She smokes like a fright train but shes got balls.I have left these new junk trucks in the dust.If you want a real truck try to find a REAL Autocar Diamond Reo Older Mack or a old IH Loadstar or Transtar.I still have my loadstar.5 yard body.I blew a feedline so the old girl is down till my guy comes out and makes a new one.

Scag48
06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Most guys around here run belly dumps or a triaxle with a 10 yard pup. Haven't seen many end dumps in these parts. We recieved 120 yards of mulch last year and the trailer had really tall sides much like an enclosed refer with the top cut off and replaced with a heavy canvas tarp. It didn't dump the material but used a chain driven conveyor that spewed the mulch out the back while a hydraulic cylinder pushed a steel plate which pushed the mulch to the conveyor out the back of the trailer. Pretty cool setup, I'm pretty sure that trailer was a 53 footer.

murray83
06-01-2006, 08:14 PM
the trailer you seen is mainly used in hauling woodchips and bark mostly 48 footers theres a few 53's about too but the B train versions and taking over here.

fiveoboy01
06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
*** By the way that truck with the Pup trailer, has 42 tires on it (10 axles*4 tires per axle + front steer axle) I would hate to see the bill for new tires for that thing

I'd hate to be the one to change those tires. Split rims suck, I haven't done one in years and years, and I don't miss them one bit.

Watch out for those flying wedges, they can kill.

MarcSmith
06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
the tandem dump trailers are used a lot in florida for hauling and dumping oranges into the juicing facilities...

scaper27
06-01-2006, 11:03 PM
those trailers are all over here on every corner. Most are done up with lights and chromed out. They weigh about 80,000-90,000 LBS. Well over weight

tthomass
06-04-2006, 01:09 AM
just think of the mulch that thing could haul haha

MarcSmith
06-04-2006, 08:08 AM
just think of the mulch that thing could haul haha

gotta rememebr with the DOT rules. no mater how much a truck or trailer can hold....it is usually limited to the weight that they can legally carry. I had one truck drive deliver bagged mulch to our shop in ashburn for tglc and he was full with 20 pallets, but he was over weight by 4 tons....Bummer since he was abotu a mile from the shop when he got stopped. the mulch was a bit on the damp side....

tthomass
06-04-2006, 10:31 PM
gotta watch those Loudoun County boys.......they're always hitt'n trucks with violations, good thing though since some are a real POS runn'n around up here