PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

teejet
05-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Will you please give some suggestions on how to improve this landscaping?
Maybe some color? I did the retaining wall last year. It looks alot better than it did. I took out an old landscape timber retaining wall that was there before.

ozd12005
05-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Trimming the bush's would be a good start, add caps on the wall for a nice finished look

Dstosh
05-27-2006, 09:37 PM
You hit the nail right on the head, COLOR. I would add some perennials. I would take out some of the taxus, and add some colorful shrubs. Try Gold Thread False Cypress or Emerald and gold euyonmus just for a few ideas, I know they arent too creative, but anything is better than a wall of taxus. Your pictures also leave something to be desired. try to take some better ones.

jameson
05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
On your first slide, w/the brick wall, it needs to be softened. I would espalier some plant material against the wall. Try using (depending upon exposure):

1. Camellia Sasanqua.
2. Piracantha.
3. Choice of fruit trees.

You may even try using Italian cypresses on either side of the establisments name, 3 on each side.

As others have rightly posted try adding some color, those yews will really be a great foil to work off of. Try:

1. Berberis thun. (assorted var. to choose from)
Try using the red and gold foliage together.
2. Senecio greyii,
3. Acers - Coral bark maples, Bloodgood, etc.. (left of front door?)
4. Eunoymus (as previoulsy pointed out)
5. Annuals - changed seasonally, small beds carved out on either side of breezeway. Follow a pattern, no mishmash. Do not plant them pell-mell in every bed. Keep them confined.

You choices are endless. Best rule of thumb is to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Fowen22
05-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Needs some palm trees
:cool2: