PDA

View Full Version : Tree Root sprouts?

Jetski900stx
05-28-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a tree that the roots are sprouting under my deck. I was wndering how to kill these sprouts and not kill the tree. The deck is at ground level so I can't get under to cut them off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Jetski900stx
05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Here are some pics of what I am talking about. One is the problem and the other is the type of tree.

hdtvluvr
05-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Is the deck completely on the ground or do you have a couple inches of clearance? If you have some clearance I would go to one of the local hardware stores and get a rope saw. This is a flexible saw (chain or wire) with a nylon rope on each end. They are usually used to cut off tree brances that are too high for a pole saw. With one person on each side of the deck you will be able to cut the tree off close to ground level.

If that can't be done, I would spray the leaves with Roundup. The roundup will travel to the roots of the saplings. While there isn't a guarantee, the small amount of roundup that may get back to the root system of the larger tree should not affect the large tree.

Also, are you sure the saplings are from the original tree's roots? They may be new trees from seeds.

Jetski900stx
05-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks,

I have thought about a pole saw, but haven't gonw out and bought one just yet. It is to close to the ground on one side to get a rope saw in there. But I do have some Roundup so I'll give that a shot. I just didn't want to kill the bigger tree.

ECS
05-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Pull a couple of the decking boards up, rid of the problem and put boards back on.

Jetski900stx
05-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I really didn't want to get into taking the boards up up I think I am going to have to.