PDA

View Full Version : having trouble killing wild grass

hillbillylee
05-28-2006, 08:44 PM
i just moved out to dayton texas. I think its in zone 9. anyway In different areas of the lawn i have the large round clumps of grass that just seem to take over anywhere they are located. I tried cutting it with my mower(small residential push mower) and it kills the mower everytime. The base of the grass is all clumped together and very dense. It's really a problem where my septic lines dump the over flow water. any tips on the type of grass and the best way to kill it with out killing the surrounding grass.

thanks
lee

Dirty Water
05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
I have those over my septic mound as well.

The only cure is a shovel. Dig the whole clump out.

hmartin
05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Post a picture of the grass if you want a recomendation on selective herbicide. Otherwise, Round-Up will get rid of most any grass. Use it very carefully on the clumps and don't get it on your desireable grass. Read and follow the label.

carcrz
05-30-2006, 07:08 PM
use round-up on those areas & then reseed when you are finished.

hillbillylee
06-04-2006, 05:19 AM
thanks guys. didn't realize there were so many different kinds of roundup. the stalk are starting to fall now didn't realize it would work so fast. I thought about just digging them up but we have just under two acres and thats alot of digging. think this roundup will atleast keep it in check....

hillbillylee
06-04-2006, 06:24 AM
ok guys i found out its called johnson grass. I have never really heard of it before. the stalks grow um chest high so 4foot give or take. it grows on a think dense matt in round clumps. like i said earlier the roundup seems to be working but not sure if its a permanent fix or itll take constant applications

Nosmo
06-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I have used Ammonium Nitrate to get rid of unwanted clumps of undesirable grasses . It will work if you put about a cupful right on the clump. It'll burn it out and when it disolves it is a fertilizer for the good grasses.

Nosmo

fishinpa
06-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Here's a handy link someone posted a while back.

http://www.weedalert.com/