PDA

View Full Version : Tracked AG tractors

Dirty Water
05-28-2006, 10:14 PM
I just got back from Spokane, and while driving through Eastern WA on I-90 I noticed how many tracked tractors they were using in the huge fields out there. I was wondering if anyone knew why they were using tracked over rubber tired over there?

The slopes aren't that bad. I figured going around and around for 12 hours a day would really wear out the under carraige?

Tigerotor77W
05-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Tracked tractors are usually used for softer soils where the imprint of a 4WD would be bad for the crops.

janb
05-29-2006, 02:21 AM
I just got back from Spokane, and while driving through Eastern WA on I-90 I noticed how many tracked tractors they were using in the huge fields out there. I was wondering if anyone knew why they were using tracked over rubber tired over there?

The slopes aren't that bad. I figured going around and around for 12 hours a day would really wear out the under carraige?

Heres a link to an AG guy I worked with, (driving semi / tractor / combine) there are lots of pics in the links, and a good fleet of Case "Quads" on this page, when all the neighbors showed up to help plant. (After Doug did a Late night 'end-o' off his quad and broke his neck) Hills are important reason for tracks here...

http://www.mcgg.net/index.cfm?show=10&mid=20&pid=8

Low ground pressure is key + traction... dragging a 50'-80' wide implement
We use them in Illinois so we can get into really wet stuff. These articualted Case rigs are major improvement over CAT Ag Tractors, as these don't leave 'Divots' and ... the JD and Stieger Articulated Tractors can only farm going 'downhill' on the steep stuff... Even when mounted with flotation 'duals' 4x4. The trick stuff I was able to do with the Quad was towing a 'Bank-out' Wagon with 50,000# of grain down a 45deg slope. It had a 'jake' and all electronic shifting. The bad deal was when it errored out and the guy had to drive 100 miles to plug in his laptop for 30 seconds. (time for satellite repairs) Of course topping off the 300 gal fuel tank can set you back a bit :dizzy:

Squizzy246B
05-29-2006, 08:14 AM
I remember going to our states biggest field day some years ago. They wheeled out the most powerful, 4 wheel drive articulated tractor in Australia at the time (I think a Steiger about 440hp). The hooked it onto a 40ft wide deep ripper and drove it into some firm loam. It went about 20 feet and ran out of power. It then ran out of traction with lower gears. They then uncoupled and hooked up Australia's first Challenger tracked machine. It was 230 Hp and it just walked away with the deep ripper like it wasn't even working.

In our sandy areas its common to see 15 - 18% slippage (wheelspeed versus speed over the ground) or even more with rubber tyred machines. With the Challengers on sand wheel slip is like 2.5%. Thats a lot of diesel saved.

Tigerotor77W
05-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Thats a lot of diesel saved.

And potentially better track life as well.

But like all good things, tracked tractors are not for everyone. You should consult your doctor or physici *cough*:hammerhead:

jazak
05-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I remember going to our states biggest field day some years ago. They wheeled out the most powerful, 4 wheel drive articulated tractor in Australia at the time (I think a Steiger about 440hp). The hooked it onto a 40ft wide deep ripper and drove it into some firm loam. It went about 20 feet and ran out of power. It then ran out of traction with lower gears. They then uncoupled and hooked up Australia's first Challenger tracked machine. It was 230 Hp and it just walked away with the deep ripper like it wasn't even working.

In our sandy areas its common to see 15 - 18% slippage (wheelspeed versus speed over the ground) or even more with rubber tyred machines. With the Challengers on sand wheel slip is like 2.5%. Thats a lot of diesel saved.

Have any pics of those challangers?:)

Dirty Water
05-29-2006, 05:57 PM
The machines I saw were all Cats, they looked similar to a D9 Dozer or so, but with no blade and a hitch on the back. They were pulling HUGE attachments.

All Steel tracked, not like those articulated CASE tractors with rubber tracks.

Squizzy246B
05-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Have any pics of those challangers?:)

Closest I could find to you guys:

http://www.finning.ca/industries/divisions/agriculture/trackswheels.asp

Article here:

http://southeastfarmpress.com/mag/farming_challenger_tractors/index.html

and a drawbar record here:

http://www.seriousmachinery.com/press2.html

ksss
05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
CASE really hit the nail on the head with their articulated tracked machines. There is no comparison between the four wheel tracks verse the two track systems of Deere and CAT/AGCO. They don't leave scrub marks in the field as noted and they are much more comfortable to run as each track can articulate independently. The only issue is they are only offered on the large tractors. Deere and Agco offer their version in the smaller 225 and under Hp class machines. The CASE machines are very popular with the construction scraper industry as well.

wanabe
05-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Ya, just watch all the Case owners cry when the undercarage is gone! I have seen some even enquire if the final drives are the same as the tired models so they can put wheels on as a cheeper option! I would rather have a new MT series cat with 55o Hp.

Squizzy246B
05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
I think it was a Case TLB, articulated 4 track machine I was looking at recently. Now that would be a machine that could do a power of work.

In the 200Hp + Ag market I can't see the articulated being worth it at all...in fact quite the opposite here in Aus. West Aus is 7 times the size of Texas so manoevurability is not the issue in that Hp range.

all ferris
05-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I've heard rumors of it costing $40,000 to replace tracks and fix the undercarriage on the case Quads. I live in farm country and I only see the biggest of farmers using them and dirt workers using them to pull dirt buggies (2 at a time). I have a friend who had one but they traded it in when they figured out how much it cost to maintain.

Scag48
05-31-2006, 11:32 PM
There's a contractor out here that uses a Deere 9420 wheeled tractor pulling 1, 18 yard pan. Seems to work pretty well and it's alot faster than a dedicated scraper.

The Deere (and Bell) tracked articulated machines are the ones to watch out for.

iluvscag
05-31-2006, 11:53 PM
There horrible we had two case ih stx 440 quadtracks and all they did was spin up dirt.