PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bed Edgers/Are they worth it???

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-28-2006, 09:49 PM
What are your folks opinions on these? We have been doing everything manually, and quite frankly I am getting tired of it. Also, does anyone have an idea how much the Brown 780 model runs? I have contacted the company three times and they have never responded.

I have never used one. In addition to being less labor intensive, on average how much time does one of these machines usually save you?

Gilla Gorilla
05-28-2006, 09:51 PM
I used my Brown bed edger last year on my parents house that was around 440ft of edge on the mulch beds and was done in less than 15 minutes while my employee was coming behind me and raking the dirt back up into the bed. In my opinion they are worth every penny.

paolaken
05-30-2006, 08:45 AM
best machine i ever bought for saving time.

Eakern & Dog
05-30-2006, 09:10 AM
My advice is to rent one. I rented a Brown Trenchmaster to install landscape edging and needed a 5.5" depth. The machine I rented performed poorly. It was either the hard rock clay here in Georgia,the old belt on the machine, or the machine itself. I ended up hand digging faster as I did not have to fart around with the "slipping belt". I also found it awkward to walk backward around some tight curves.However, I have heard very good things about them. I will rent one again to give it a second chance, but with a different rental company. Shop around........I have seen other brands I would like to rent as well:

Trenchnedge
EZ-Trench
Little Beaver
Little Wonder Bed Shaper- This looks good as well-http://www.littlewonder.com/bedshaper.asp

P.S has anyone used the Little Wonder before for installing bed edging ?

T-Trim
05-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Not a big fan, But stills beats digging by hand. I really love the hydro units.
So of the hydros do more things than bed edge.

Itsgottobegreen
05-31-2006, 12:42 AM
I LOVE AND SWEAR BY MINE. I won't ever hand dig a edge ever again. Even if its only 5'.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks folks for the input. I will probably rent one for the next job and see how it goes. After that, if all goes well, we will probably buy one. Digging edges is for the birds. Necessary evil, but if it can be made easier and faster then that is the way to go.

lawnspecialties
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks folks for the input. I will probably rent one for the next job and see how it goes. After that, if all goes well, we will probably buy one. Digging edges is for the birds. Necessary evil, but if it can be made easier and faster then that is the way to go.

I used to rent them and really got tired of that. If you buy one, you get to use it anytime you want, which means you'll go ahead and re-edge that existing account just because it makes you look good. I've rented Brown's and EZ-trench and bought the Brown's. Really nice to have around.:)

wurkn with amish
06-03-2006, 09:27 PM
love mine! you can buy them from northern tool.

newlooklandscp
06-04-2006, 12:15 AM
best machine i ever bought for saving time.

and your back !!!

paolaken
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
and your back !!!
yes sir.:clapping: :clapping: