PDA

View Full Version : Stump Grinding 54 Stumps

Husky03
05-28-2006, 11:32 PM
I have a job that involves grinding 54 stumps down flush with the ground. None of the stumps are more than 12 inches in diameter and most are much smaller than that. I plan on renting a walk behind grinder. The type that has tines underneath. This will be my first time doing anything like this. Any heads up or warnings appreciated. How long should I expect this to take?

Thanks...:)

Mowingman
05-28-2006, 11:49 PM
First, rent a bigger grinder. One that is self propelled, and has hydraulic controls to move the grinding head. Those little dinky grinders will beat you to death after just 5 or 10 stumps. You can rent a nice size machine around here for $140.00/day, or for about $75.00/half day. With a larger machine, you can easily grind all those stumps in a couple of hours. The Rayco Super Jr. is one such machine, that is often found at rental houses.

o-so-n-so
05-29-2006, 01:00 AM
First rent a larger machine like the one "mowinman" described. Then do yourself and the customer a favor and grind at least 4" below grade unless the customer insist that ground level is ok (from my experience ((((6 years))))they always want them deeper after you grind over half at ground level). If your going to put a lawn over this area....you need to grind at least 6" to 8" deep.. clean out the chips and the add quality top soil.

good luck.

Itsgottobegreen
05-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Make sure went you rent one it has new or sharp cutter teeth on it. Cause dull teeth suck. Defently get a hydraulic one. 25hp min. they go for $260 a day around here.