PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with these?

zim bob the landscaper
05-29-2006, 11:35 AM
heres a pic of three hosta and there dying and wilting my mom wants to know whats wrong with them.

zim bob the landscaper
05-29-2006, 11:36 AM
#2................

zim bob the landscaper
05-29-2006, 11:37 AM
#3.................

jameson
05-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Looks like anthracnose. Did they look the same last year?

zim bob the landscaper
05-29-2006, 12:01 PM
no they looked pretty healthy. i really want to stop it becasue another plant seems to be getting it too.

EagleLandscape
05-29-2006, 02:23 PM
eradicate the infected plants.

sheshovel
05-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Agreed , could be many things but you won't help them now. You can cut them to the ground and see if they come back good or remove aand replace.
Looks bacterial in nature.

ripple
05-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Water? Or lack of water!

zim bob the landscaper
05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Water? Or lack of water!
we water them every day. we already killed them doesnt matter anymore.

Moretta Lawn Care
05-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Did anyone spray some sort of weed killer in the area? May be a drift or soemthing. If it was that thought it would have had to have been pretty close to the plant itself.? Just a thought... and what about a combination with mybe some frost?

DON'T WATER EVERY DAY! That can lead to root rots. Make sure that you give the plant some time to dry out. How would you like a hose stuck in your face all the time. Besides hosta can take it on the dryer side.

topsites
05-29-2006, 10:31 PM
we water them every day. we already killed them doesnt matter anymore.

That was my thought as well, I think twice / week would've been more than enough... Matter of fact, if you cut back on the watering they'll likely come back.

MMLawn
05-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Looks to me like it is a couple of things going on here.

1) the dirt around the plant looks awfully hard and compacted and dry
2) It looks like it has had either too much or not enough water
3) Hosta is a Shade/Partial Sun plant and does not do well at all in direct full sun, so is this planted in full sun or partial sun as it should be.

I agree rip it out and dispose of it and replace it (if it isn't in full sun) with new ones as they are cheap anyway.

jameson
05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Please note that there are varieties that the American Hosta Society have designated 'sun tolerant'. H. plantaginea do well in full sun. Quick rule of thumb- Blue, golds, dark greens etc. do best in partial shade; many varigated, light greens will do well in full sun.

If you gotta plant one in full sun, talk to your local nurseryman and see what will grow best in YOUR ZONE.

zim bob the landscaper
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Looks to me like it is a couple of things going on here.

1) the dirt around the plant looks awfully hard and compacted and dry
2) It looks like it has had either too much or not enough water
3) Hosta is a Shade/Partial Sun plant and does not do well at all in direct full sun, so is this planted in full sun or partial sun as it should be.

I agree rip it out and dispose of it and replace it (if it isn't in full sun) with new ones as they are cheap anyway.
thanks ill have to get a steel rake out a loosen it so i can get some new plants.