PDA

View Full Version : Truck opinion poll

Dirty Water
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Toyota is coming out in '08 with a 3/4 ton Diesel truck. The rumored engine will be either a 4 cylinder DOHC common rail engine with variable valve timing (A first for a diesel?) or a inline 6 with the same.

Its going to be manufactured in Indiania.

Sign me up :)

Allen's LS
05-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't think it realy mattered much anymore. It seems that most things are outsourced. If it is an American automobile they still have to adhere to certain standards. I would personaly like to see as much of it made here in the USA and keep the jobs here. But I understand the economics behind it. :hammerhead:

fiveoboy01
05-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I sort of agree with Allen here. Nothing is made completely in the US anymore it seems.

But, I'd really like to get more info on one of these things. I've been whining to myself that SOMEONE should produce a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck with a 4 cylinder diesel, for people who don't need the pulling capacity of the Powerstroke or the Cummins/Isuzu I-6 options, but want the better fuel economy.

Splicer
05-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Nothing is made completely by ANYONE any more...

Dirty Water
05-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Nothing is made completely by ANYONE any more...

Yep, that should throw Patriotic loyality out the window right?

So, if a foreign company makes a superior product, why not buy it?

lawnmaniac883
05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
I dont trust anything NEW comming out especially if it is someone trying to make a diesel engine. DOHC on a diesel...are you serious? I will stick with the BIG 3 until joe schmoe has worked out the problems that are likely to arise with this thing.

Good point that nothing is made by any one anymore...

6'7 330
05-29-2006, 10:38 PM
The Japanese building full sized trucks is maybe the last nail in the domestic auto makers coffin.I buy GMC, Chevy trucks, our whole fleet is GM product,buying GM pays into my all my brothers GM pensions.Gm going under is just a matter of when, and is inevitable probably Ford to , I can support all my brothers, and the silver lining in the black cloud would be, that no good union that makes the domestic automakers uncompetitive, with unproductive work place rules, job banks etc. and throws it’s unconditional support behind the liberalist liberalass democrats with campaign contributions, will go the way of the auto companies they are killing, in the scrap heap.And all that get out the vote and campaign money will dried up dryer then a desert.

I never owned a Toyota or Nissan etc, but it might feel nice riding in car or truck Built by non union,who don't have funneled from workers union dues to liberalass democrat politicians campaign funds.

fiveoboy01
05-29-2006, 11:14 PM
I dont trust anything NEW comming out especially if it is someone trying to make a diesel engine. DOHC on a diesel...are you serious? I will stick with the BIG 3 until joe schmoe has worked out the problems that are likely to arise with this thing.

News flash - one of the big 3 already makes a DOHC diesel...

EDIT - er, mabye I read you wrong - by big 3, I thought you meant the big 3 diesel engine manufacturers...

If you meant big 3 as in GM/Ford/Chrysler, I misread you.

But, there DOHC for a diesel isn't anything new.

Dirty Water
05-29-2006, 11:57 PM
But, there DOHC for a diesel isn't anything new.

Variable valve timing is though, its going to make economy go through the roof.

lawnmaniac883
05-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Meant big 3 automakers...

PJDiesel
05-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Good thread!
This is a hot topic among Diesel truck owners like myself. I have to tell you, the consensus among "American" made owners is, wait a year into the model year, then get yourself a Toyota! The company itself has an outstanding level of quality and durability (name one of the big three that does?)

There's mumblings about a 1/2 ton Nissan in the works too. As stated, this could be the beginning of the end for Ford and Chevy. They have put out a barely satisfactory product and treated their customers like crap (at the dealerships, service wise) for too many years. :nono:

lawnboy dan
05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
unlike detroit-toyota actually tests their new products first to see if its going to work. remember the gm deisel 350? the big 3 have no one to blame but themselvs and the labor unions.

PJDiesel
05-31-2006, 05:35 PM
unlike detroit-toyota actually tests their new products first to see if its going to work. remember the gm deisel 350? the big 3 have no one to blame but themselvs and the labor unions.
Agreed.
AND, It is my belief that they they are about 75% to blame for the Union issue itself too.
Management were the only ones that had the power to stand up and say NO, instead, they thought, "Oh well, we'll just pass it on to the customer".
Times are a changin.
Do I feel sorry for the UAW guys who are out of work, yes. Do I think their leadership is without blame too? No.

lwcmattlifter
06-01-2006, 12:32 AM
I like my American, assembled in Mexico trucks but I won't hesitate to buy Japaneese if it can handle the same loads as American 1-ton trucks. I'll buy one once the bugs have been worked out.

TriplePLandscaping
06-01-2006, 10:20 AM
or you can buy the new isuzu 17500gvw which is just a rebadged chevy kodiak.

Dirty Water
06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
or you can buy the new isuzu 17500gvw which is just a rebadged chevy kodiak.

I'm pretty sure its the other way around.

Izuzu makes those trucks for Chevy to slap their bowtie on.

hosejockey2002
06-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around

It actually works both ways. Isuzu's H Series (http://www.isuzucv.com/hseries/index.html) is a rebadged Kodiak.

LawnGuy73
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I think your going to have problems no matter where its made or what name is on it. Just my opinion.

RedWolf
06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I love my 76 C10 Chevy.Shes been a good truck.Shes worked hard and now that i have the new carb shes ALOT better on gas.My 4X4 82 ISUZU P`UP diesel has also been a really good truck.Shes had some tranny probs but nothing i couldnt fix.she smokes black smoke like hell but shes still has lots of power (for a four banger) and hauls a$$ even with my 5X12 behind me.got to love the old stick trannys.

Dirty Water
06-01-2006, 10:22 PM
It actually works both ways. Isuzu's H Series (http://www.isuzucv.com/hseries/index.html) is a rebadged Kodiak.

Your right, I was thinking of the Chevy Cab-Overs, not the Kodiaks.