PDA

View Full Version : learned something

exmark72
05-29-2006, 08:04 PM
i leaRNED SOMETHING NEW TODAY!!! what u may ask! while that in order for trailer lights to work the truck and trailer must be touching each other!!! who know??????

grass_cuttin_fool
05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Yep the trailer must be grounded to the truck through the wire harness or the hitch ball. If its a 4 way plug........the white wire is the ground and should be attactched to the trailer frame

wayne

Dirty Water
05-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Yep the trailer must be grounded to the truck through the wire harness or the hitch ball. If its a 4 way plug........the white wire is the ground and should be attactched to the trailer frame

wayne

I always thought grounding through the ball was a dumb idea. But they do it.

Don't 6, 7 and 9 pin harnesses have a ground on them?

oldrustycars
05-29-2006, 08:16 PM
you should ALWAYS ground through the wiring, never through the ball. grease on the ball can interrupt the ground, trailer bouncing can interrupt the ground. the white wire in the plug is the ground.

FearThisDeere
05-30-2006, 07:05 AM
All my trailer are grounded through the wiring. I used a Uhaul trailer once and it was grounded through the ball. Every bump would cause static on the radio. That was fun! Could have just been the wiring, but I don't really want to find out. Seems like better sense to groud it through the wiring. More reliable and less of a hassle. It is always good to learn things though!

grass_cuttin_fool
05-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I always thought grounding through the ball was a dumb idea. But they do it.

Don't 6, 7 and 9 pin harnesses have a ground on them?

yes they have grounds also but not sure of what color the wire is for the ground . When I 1st started out towing trailers, I bought a bass boat and the dealer said that the trailer would ground through the ball ( I question why white wire was not attactched)With it grounded like that when I gave a signal the marker lights would blink and all sorts of weird things...........si I hooked up the white wire and poof no more problems

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
you should ALWAYS ground through the wiring, never through the ball. grease on the ball can interrupt the ground, trailer bouncing can interrupt the ground. the white wire in the plug is the ground.

Exactly correct, surprising how many people dont want to cover up that pretty chrome with grease or they dont want to get grease on there hands or clothes when making contact accidentally :laugh: