PDA

View Full Version : Gate or Tilt ?

JTF40
05-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I am selling my 6 X 10 tilt trailer because it is not long enough for me.
My question to everyone is do you prefer a tilt or a gate? Here in Tn. the price for a 6 X 12 tilt A-frame is $700.00 and $825.00 for the same size with a mesh gate. Which do you all like - why and why not? Thanks......:usflag:

mow king
05-29-2006, 10:14 PM
My question to everyone is do you prefer a tilt or a gate? Here in Tn. the price for a 6 X 12 tilt A-frame is $700.00 and $825.00 for the same size with a mesh gate. Which do you all like - why and why not? Thanks......:usflag:

If you're only hauling one piece of equipment then the tilt deck is very nice. If you're hauling 2 or more pieces then you will want the ramp.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-29-2006, 10:24 PM
If you're only hauling one piece of equipment then the tilt deck is very nice. If you're hauling 2 or more pieces then you will want the ramp.

I agree, Ive had both and I think the gate is definately the way to go. Im kinda curious as to what you carry on the trailer now that a 10 foot is too small and that you dont have problems unloading, sounds as though you carry more than 1 mower

wayne

JTF40
05-29-2006, 10:59 PM
The equipment in my signature is what I carry - not much compared to many other people. The problem I had with my 6x10 is the engine on my ZD sat "just" behind the axle. It didn't pull well. The 6x12's that I looked at had about 24" greater distance between the axle and the tongue. Therefore the 1500 lbs. is in front of the axle. NOW what do ya'll think?:confused: :usflag:

Cahsking
05-29-2006, 11:04 PM
GATE! More versitility...

JTF40
05-29-2006, 11:14 PM
GATE! More versitility...

In what ways?

Cahsking
05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Sorry didn't see what you were working with...For what you have go with the tilt. When buying a new trailer I tend to think of where I will be in the next two years. What else I may be hauling, or doing. I do landscaping also, so a gate makes it easier for me to load and unload, and allows me to carry a multi array of items. Not that a tilt wouldn't't but its hard to load a edger, and tiller on a trailer with gravel and dirt, without losing something.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-30-2006, 07:50 AM
The equipment in my signature is what I carry - not much compared to many other people. The problem I had with my 6x10 is the engine on my ZD sat "just" behind the axle. It didn't pull well. The 6x12's that I looked at had about 24" greater distance between the axle and the tongue. Therefore the 1500 lbs. is in front of the axle. NOW what do ya'll think?:confused: :usflag:

I understand more now :hammerhead: I would still go with the gate, You may want to add a walkbehind some time, the 12 foot trailer would handle that combo ok.IF you would want to re-sell the trailer to get even larger, I think more people would be interested in a gated 12 footer verses a tilt, just my 2 cents worth.All most forgot also, the gate would also act as a barrier to keep anything from falling or bouncing off the back of the trailer

wayne

FearThisDeere
05-30-2006, 07:57 AM
As stated above, when just hauling one mower, the tilt deck is great. Anything more than that and a gate is the only way to go.

JTF40
05-30-2006, 10:08 PM

All right, Here it goes. I went to get the 6x12 w/gate today for $825.00 + 9.5% sales tax :hammerhead: . When I got there, he had just received a 7x12 w/gate from a customer who had bought it the day before but did not like it :clapping: . I ate it up for $795.00 cash - OUT THE DOOR!!!!!! Today is MY day I guess. I appreciate everyone "enlightening" my blindness on this topic.

By the way, don't beat-up our sales tax rate - Tennessee has NO state income tax......:weightlifter:

mike lane lawn care
05-30-2006, 10:27 PM
i would go with the gate, it is easier to load/unload. with the gated trailer there is no possibility that the pin honding the tilt bed from tilting will break on the road. also, think about it, it is harder on the transmision of the mower to drive up and control the decent of the tilt bed vs. gate. plus what if a strap ever broke and the mower slid off the back of the trailer doing 65mph on the highway?