PDA

View Full Version : When to go full time?

watatrp
05-25-2001, 07:57 AM
Ok you full time lawn care operators, give me some advice. I've been doing the lawn care thing for about 13 years now on a part-time basis. I have all the equipment, trailer, 2 commercial riders, etc. This year I will gross around 40k. I turn down work on almost a weekly basis because I don't want to spend more than 65 hours a week (full-time job plus lawn care) working. I have one part time guy that helps me out 4-5 hours per week. I spend around 25 hours a week. I also started plowing snow last winter. I also have a full-time job. I'm sure many of you started out this way. At what point do you say hey, if I can make X amount of dollars working 25 hours per week at it for only six months out of the year, why not go into it full-time? Of course I know that there are some expenses that will be greater, health care premiums for a family of five. My reputation seems to be able to get me all kinds of work without advertising, I just don't have time to do everything. When do you take the plunge and let go of the security of a full-time job with good benefits and go into business for yourself full-time?

Guido
05-25-2001, 10:11 AM
A lot of people just take the plunge into full time and "hope" to get the work to fill their new scheduele. Many times it happens and many times it doesn't! Its hard to take the chance for many, because as you say, you have 4 mouths relying on you to bring home the bacon.

What I've seen some of the more succesfull business do that switch from part to full time is this. They take on the jobs and work with a sub to pick up what they can't( with a no compete clause). When they have enough to do them all themselves full time, they go for it. This way they know that they now have enough work to keep them busy.

Its always a risk, but this makes it a lot safer.

Good Luck and make sure you check into the expenses before you make any decisions.

Good Luck, and keep us updated.

Rooster
05-30-2001, 06:37 AM
Consider all expenses, when you have 6 months worth of income in the bank in addition to regular saving, then would be the time to make the jump to full time.

Just my opinion!