PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever ruin the hitch on thier dump truck?!?

Husky05
05-31-2006, 12:32 AM
Well I just did the stupidest dumbest thing I have done in a Lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllong time! I was in a hurry tonight trying to change the oil and sharpen the blades on all my equipment. I had a load of grass on my dump truck that I needed to unload so I went to dump it and didnt realize the tailgate was on top of the hitch. As the body was up in the air I noticed that the bed was not lifting right only to realize that I bent the hell out of my hitch and put a massive dent in my tailgate. I am soooooooo furious I dont know what I am going to do? I cant even hitch my trailers up to it now. The best part about this is I just bought this truck last March its brand new!

LindblomRJ
05-31-2006, 01:35 AM
It appears you are in good company.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=148588

Tim Wright
05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
I just ruined my tailgate Friday on my dumptruck. Bent it all up. There is no straightening it. It also pealed the bottom of my truck frame and I need to get the hitch jacked up, welded, and reinforced. I am getting a new tailgate fabricated by a local guy.

I was so mad at myself. More money out.

Tim

PROCUT1
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
See a lot of trucks around here with the same dent on the tailgate...

Brendan Smith
05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
why not check local salvage yards, they often have them cheaper and if you get lucky, the color may match, if not, have it sprayed. you'll have to paint a new gate anyway.

Let-it-mow!
05-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Bent ours about a week ago. New hitch came in today, I'll probably put it on tomorrow morning. Odd that this happens so often but nobody's figured out a way to stop it.

Husky05
05-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Well after a grueling day and finally cooling down alittle I went around this morning trying to find a place that could fix my hitch that I so badly bent. After 3 different machine shops, I went to this local place that does welding. The owner was like well this tends to happen often dont feel bad I can fix it. This guy cut a half octogon shape off the 3/4 in steel plate for my hitch and cut a new face obviously bigger for it and welded it back on. Put new screws in for the hitch and took all my tail-lights off and re-welded all the joints again. After he was done he even painted it black again. It looks really good and you could tell that this guy was a true mechanic/machinest he really knew his stuff. It cost me 191 dollars even though I hate like hell to pay that, I guess that is a mistake you only do once. Now if I didnt have this huge dent in my tailgate I would feel much better, but hey at least it works.

Husky03
05-31-2006, 11:14 PM
I rented a dump truck one time form a place that sells mulch and they did not show that there was a second safety chain to prevent accidental lifting. Tore the mount right off. It lifted no problem:laugh: Also, it must suck being number 5.

iluvscag
05-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Pictures.:)

kemmer
06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
some trucks ive seen have a triangular frame welded to the truck so the tailgate rests on the frame while it dumps.

Dirt Digger2
06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
i dont understand how you guys are bending the tailgates...we have a 350 dump at work, usually i just use the swing gate (the handle behind the cab) if i have a large load however, like today when i was hauling a water tank, i set the tailgate down, like a regualr pick-up but it has chains to keep it parallel with the dump body floor...even in full dump the tailgate never even comes close to the pintle hitch underneath.

stroker51
06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
A friend of mine did this on his 04 F550 dump. I dunno why he was puttin the dump up w/ the trailer still on, but the bed won and bent the sh*t outta his hitch. We wound up cutting out all the channel iron it was welded to and rebuilding the whole bottom of the hitch, welded on a new receiver tube and she was good to go.

JB1
06-01-2006, 11:54 PM
not proud about it, but, been there , done that.

scaper27
06-02-2006, 12:05 AM
I think everyone around here has the notoriuos dent the tailgate

Tim Wright
06-02-2006, 12:21 AM
i dont understand how you guys are bending the tailgates...we have a 350 dump at work, usually i just use the swing gate (the handle behind the cab) if i have a large load however, like today when i was hauling a water tank, i set the tailgate down, like a regualr pick-up but it has chains to keep it parallel with the dump body floor...even in full dump the tailgate never even comes close to the pintle hitch underneath.

Well,

I had just re-roofed my house and was at the land fill with the old materials and could not get the load to slide down, so I lowered the tailgate all the way instead of leveling it with the chains.

Tim

olderthandirt
06-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Now heres how to fix that dent in the tailgate

#1 bondo the hell out of it and rough sand it
#2 have the spray on bed liner sprayed over the top of the tailgate down about 8" or more depending on how far it needs to go to cover bondo
#3 pay $50 for the spray on liner

This not only fixes the dent but will stop all stone chips and other debri chips when being loaded by a big loader at the stone yd.

scagwildcat
06-02-2006, 08:30 PM
ever disconnect the fifth wheel and forget to put the tailgate down ?? now thats funny lol one weekend a bunch of us went camping and my buddy was
in a hurry, took off like he was at a race track, ripped the gate clean off the truck, dented the quarter panels.... he didnt have a good time the whole weekend lol

kemmer
07-14-2006, 01:01 AM
The Answer

RedWingsDet
07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I dont have the bent tailgate, I have the messed up enclosed trailer dents. From Jack knifing, but the worst is that I never jack knifed going in reverse, it was always forwards and turning to tight to avoid a curb.

Im sure im not the only one with that same problem.

I think I drive better with the trailer in reverse than forwards sometimes