PDA

View Full Version : Anyone In A Paks Department?

jd boy
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
is anyone currently, or has anyone worked in a metroparks setting? I need some non-bias opinions on a job in a parks district.

corey1977
06-02-2006, 09:53 PM
yes iam what can I help you with?:)

tweezerbeak
06-25-2006, 10:45 AM
ya I just started in a parks dept after 90 years of private landscape.......I was 3rd generation ..........I have some Q's also.........

parkeeee
06-29-2006, 07:21 AM
I have worked in a Parks Department for the past 32 years.

jd boy
06-29-2006, 08:45 AM
I have a pretty decent position managing a good sized landscape firm. the customers and sales have started me looking else where. I have interviewed in a parks dept for district supervisor.

I am now a finalist for the position after 4 formal interviews. I just got an email that they want me to take 4 more hours of testing, and then meet with a shrink to get a final evaluation.

This type of political red tape BS is what scares me about the job. You would think I was interviewing for a job with the CIA!

Is anyone familiar with this type of parks position? What are your thoughts.
I am also hesitant because I would take a pay cut of about 10k and add 1/2 hour to my commute. However I feel that there will be good possibilities for advancement. Is this an accurate assessment?

tweezerbeak
06-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Ithink now I will never go back into buisness for myself again......You leave your headaches at the job.........I know what I make each month...........there is overtime etc...I tried to keep 5 or 6 of my customers but this is hard.........at least in New York it is more and more difficult to be a small buisness.....I had very and I mean VERY good customers my help was good but not really 100% legal .my insurance payroll taxes cost of doing buisness etc just broke my spirit..........and dont think for one minute that the latinos are not going to impact the blue collar world........the hand writing is on the wall,they are great people,familyloving,nice people and I would of been out of buisness 15 years ago without them..........but now I see around here they are flooding the market of themselves..........this job offering came about for me and you have to say to yourself...where will I be in 5 10 15 years from now .better off or worst?????FYI........I was 3rd generation 90 year old buisness on Eastern Long Island$$$$$$$$$$$some of my customers my grandfather worked for their grandparents ALSO....I am NOT knocking the Latinos at all I just see the dynamics of small blue collar work changing VERY fast here.

tweezerbeak
06-29-2006, 05:39 PM
also.......are you union?????and what type of work enviroment are you getting into??????

jd boy
07-03-2006, 08:20 AM
this would be a non-union job.

AUHort1990
07-03-2006, 09:05 AM
There are other things to consider beside take home pay. Will your health insurance be provided if it is that's a big bonus? Also, how about days off? Do you get a certain number of days per year? Working for the State our insurance is provided, however we do pay for family coverage. We get 13 paid holidays per year plus when we start we get 4.2 hours of annual and sick leave per pay period. The annual leave goes up depending on how many years we have worked. I have been with the state 14 years so my annual leave accrued is now 6.3 hours per pay period. We also only work 7-4. When I worked in private industry we would work 6:30 to whenever. As in whenever we finished. If it was 4pm great but most of the time it was a lot later.

I took a pay cut (not 10K a lot less) when I started here. But I figured and insurance and time off more than made up for the cut.

jd boy
07-03-2006, 11:03 AM
thanks for the opinion. the insurance is more or less a wash (mine is covered now)

are you familiar with this position, or its equilivant? what can you tell me about it?

thanks

AUHort1990
07-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this position or equivilant. I do know, (around here at least), working for the City is a good job also around here a City job is hard to get (at least the good ones). Steady work, job security and great benifits. I would think the District Supervisor position would be a very good job to have.