PDA

View Full Version : new lawn rookie homeowner

ccas
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Okay, so I just built my new house or had it built. The day after putting the new loam on (25 ft around the house only +leech field) We had a major rain and a lot of the loam was washed away leaving erosion and sink holes. Im not aware if any of you have seen the flooding in NEw Hampshire, but it did a lot of damage around here. Anyway, the flooding was after I got some gras to germinate. Now, my problem is the erosion and the rocks that have appeared out of no where. The grass has been growing now for about 3 weeks and is doing pretty good. My problem is how to get rid of the rocks, level the ground and get rid of the sink holes. The loam has areas that I sink in when I step on it, almost like it wasnt packed tight enough. Another question I have is how to get rid of grass growing up through mulch, I had figured the mulch would kill out the grass and I wouldnt really need to worry. Also, I have some weeds growing in my 99.99% weed free Lesco starter grass. Should I worry about this or wait? Thanks a bunch

pondfishr
06-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Find someone that has either a harley rake or a rockhound for either a skidsteer or tractor. You want to rake the soil which will remove the rocks and then sow your grass again.

ccas
06-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Id have to rake the entire lawn again and then replant the grass? that sucks! I just want the little rocks out of there. What about the grass coming up through the mulch? WHat about the weeds in the grass? Should I wait to try to get rid of them or do it now?

ccas
04-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Problem still exists. Only now the lawn looks really bad. The lawn is super unlevel with huge ruts and holes.

Here is my question... If I get a tiller and till up the uneven ruts and holes. Then rake it out. Will that be enough to level it out? Will that be a big job to pretty much do my entire lawn? What do you suggest? I'm pretty sure its just about 3 inches or so of loam and then sand.

I'm asking if this is going to be possible because I was just planing on renting a tiller.

agrostis
04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
If you have let that yard go for 6 year's then no, that tiller is probably not enough to fix your problem, but it might be. Trying to do the whole lawn with a garden tiller might be way too much work for 1 person, but it might not be. You really need to post some picture's of this for some realistic answer's.

RAlmaroad
04-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Not being too critical; however spending 200K on building a new home and then second guessing another 5-6K on the lawn complementing the new home is a "No Brainer". Conversely, I'm in a "more out than in" state of mind. If those stones are pickable, then just get a truck of wheel barrow and remove them. Construction upsets soil from heavy equipment than sometimes does not appear until a major something happen like your flood. It could be than the underlying structure was disturb and just now settling back. You may have lost, sad, the grass seed and loam.

ccas
04-16-2012, 07:56 AM
The rocks are gone by now. Agreed... about spending the extra money. I'm in a pretty rural area. The builder is a neighbor. He went cheap on everything. I had assumed he wouldnt leave the lawn like he did. I was wrong and the contract stated 25 feet around house. We did fight to have all the of the cut down trees removed from the front lawn. That was quite a battle.

The lawn isnt settling because it was "disturbed". The lawn is settling because they brought in sand and filled around the foundation, instead of digging the foundation deeper. I'm going to try to till it this week. I will post some pictures tonight.

Smallaxe
04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Tree removal? how about stumps? sand added? 25' of topsoil, now washed away? now you want to till up sod that does still exist?

Sounds like you'd better establish a solid ground for your lawn before you do anything else... solid base for lawn is just as important as a solid foundation for a house... I've never understood how people can allow erosion around their homes... :confused:

ccas
04-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Not all the topsoil washed away. There are no stumps. When they built the house, they place the foundation and filled in with sand around the home. Before I was able to seed and get grass started, we had horrible flooding. Since then, the areas that were built up around the house have settled. There is an established lawn. It's just bumpy and makes riding my mower like riding a bronco! Like I have been hinting at... If I were to be a first time homeowner again and decided to build, I'd definitely do it differently. I will post pics this evening.

RigglePLC
04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Professional help is best. However, I would fill in deep spots and scrape off tall spots. Get it level and sloped for adequate drainage. The seed the dirt spots as needed. Don't use cheap seed. Sounds like you have erosion rills from excess water flow on loose soil.
I hope you don't have another flood. Make sure eves trough downspouts carry water away through underground drainage tubing--or at least so that no damage will occur.

Wow! This thread goes back to 2006!

ccas
04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
I know... The "grass" looks awful. It's tough to mow an uneven lawn like this.

Smallaxe
04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
pix aren't showing us much... can't discern the slope(up or down), let alone in relation to the house...
but by the way it sounds I would start in August,,, killing, levelling, regrading, ammending, tilling and reseeding the lawn around Labor Day, since there isn't much to cling to...

ccas
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I've got a tiller for all next week. Up here in NH we still have bare trees. I'm thinking I could till it up, level it off with a rake and reseed. It cant get worse than it already is.

agrostis
04-17-2012, 06:52 PM
I've got a tiller for all next week. Up here in NH we still have bare trees. I'm thinking I could till it up, level it off with a rake and reseed. It cant get worse than it already is.

Oh yes it can. You might have to look at mud and weed's until fall. Then your going to have more erosion. What you have now isn't so bad. It at least hold's the ground in place. You have waited 6 year's, can't you wait a few more month's to do this right ? You need to slow down.