PDA

View Full Version : briggs and stratton 17hp engine help

john65803
05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
I have never had this happen before. I was mowing the lawn as normal when all the sudden the mower died. Even though the engine was warm It will now only run with the choke pulled all the way out. I took the air cleaner off and started it again with the choke on it ran fine. when I pushed the choke in, it spit gas up though the carb and died. any ideas ??? thank you John

Larry Davis
06-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Re-post this in the "Repair" forum to the attention of "Restrorob". He'll know exactly what is wrong.

lawnmaniac883
06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I agree with Larry but it sounds like your camshaft isnt giving you the lift needed on those valves either it is rounded off or something else is internally screwy. Before investigating the camshaft idea you should dissassemble and clean your carburator.

LarryF
06-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Checking the compression should be one of your first simple diagnostic tests. If you don't have a gauge, Harbor Freight has one for 10 bucks, but your local auto-parts store or Sears might have one comparably priced.

need mower
06-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Running fine and then quit.... runs with the choke..... Not the cam!! Thats trash in the carb. Take it apart, clean it with some carb spray. Check all the little small holes for trash. Blow them out with an air hose. Put it back together and mow mow mow..

lawnmaniac883
06-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Running fine and then quit.... runs with the choke..... Not the cam!! Thats trash in the carb. Take it apart, clean it with some carb spray. Check all the little small holes for trash. Blow them out with an air hose. Put it back together and mow mow mow..

Yes, you are right it isnt the cam. I was typing a reply before reading the entire post. The part about air filter off choke on runs had me thinking cam but I would say it is trash in the carb.

need mower
06-16-2006, 11:28 AM
So how does it run after you cleaned out the carb and installed a new gas filter?