PDA

View Full Version : Time to dry

hdtvluvr
06-01-2006, 08:49 AM
It looks like I will be getting my driveway sealed in August. This is the hottest time of the year. How long would it take the sealer to dry? My asphalt drive leads to a concrete pad outside the garage. I don't want to track the sealer onto the concrete.

Thanks

Mdirrigation
06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
it all depends on the weather and humidity , 12 hours to dry , and 5 days to cure

SealAndCoat
06-02-2006, 02:21 PM
If its in the sun you can probably walk on it in a couple hours, but don't drive on it for a minimum of 24 hours.

hdtvluvr
06-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks. Is there anything I should know or watch out for when they do the work?

ChicagoSeal
06-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, make sure they are using a small brush to edge near the garage and sidewalk areas. If they are spraying, make sure it looks very thick when it is being sprayed. Spray-application of sealer always looks thicker than it dries too. Also, if they are using a squeegie or brush, make sure that there are no streaks, there is no excuse for streaks along your driveway.

If you want a high-quality and durable seal, ask if they are using sand in their sealer and if so, how much. Two coats is the standard for most areas in the United States. Sometimes if there is a lot of snow plow or other abuse on the drive, you may just want to do one coat about twice as often.

Ask if there are any guarantees, at least one year should be on any good company's sealer.

Also, do not turn the car or truck tires on your driveway for at least three weeks after it has been sealed. It can take around 21 days for it to cure properly, so you may leave some tough spots on the driveway if you do that before it is cured.