PDA

View Full Version : Tall grass going to seed

Stan MI
06-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I was going to let my grass grow long this year to see if it would help with the hot dry months of late June, July and early August. Raised the mower deck to 3-1/2". Looks now like a lot of the grass is growing seed heads. Is this a bad thing or can I just let it go and keep it longer ??? I planted this grass and it's called "Rhino 3-3-3" (local company) . Supposed to be 30% Blue grass, 30% Annual Rye and 30% something else. Can't remember now what it was.

Thanks in advance for any help !!

dcgreenspro
06-01-2006, 04:57 PM
mowing longer is going to help root growth and by letting it go to seed hight (3.5 and up) you are building up your seed bed which in turn will compete with weed seeds for growth and development.

Stan MI
06-01-2006, 09:48 PM
mowing longer is going to help root growth and by letting it go to seed hight (3.5 and up) you are building up your seed bed which in turn will compete with weed seeds for growth and development.

If I read your post right. When I mow with the seed head present I will actually be reseeding my lawn. Is that correct ???????

Thanks for the help.

dcgreenspro
06-01-2006, 09:55 PM
yes that is correct

phototropic1
06-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Uhhhhhh.........only if the seed is mature when you mow it!!! Otherwise, think abortion.

dcgreenspro
06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
i disagree. i have used this on golf courses, 30 properties, and my own lawn. take it or leave it.
why is it on this web site you can't post anything without people telling you that you are wrong or that won't work? ;) stan mi give it a try. atleast you kow that you are developing you roots at the higher cut and in years to come at that height, your lawn will last much longer than those cut shorter.

dcgreenspro
06-01-2006, 10:09 PM
into the heat and stresses of summer weather.

bif
06-02-2006, 07:04 PM
my guess would be that the grass that's going to seed is annual bluegrass....

if it is, mowing lower won't help, it can develop seedheads at a very low height...

i'm thinking that the good grasses need to get very tall before they go to seed...a lot more than 3.5-4 inches...

good luck,

Steve

Stan MI
06-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks all for your help.

If it matters at all the grass has been in about four years.

Any other thought or ideas as to will this help or hurt the grass ?

phototropic1
06-02-2006, 09:37 PM
i disagree. i have used this on golf courses, 30 properties, and my own lawn. take it or leave it.
why is it on this web site you can't post anything without people telling you that you are wrong or that won't work? ;) stan mi give it a try. atleast you kow that you are developing you roots at the higher cut and in years to come at that height, your lawn will last much longer than those cut shorter.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I was simply trying to point out that just because the grass is flowering (what many people mistake for seedheads) doesn't mean the grass has already produced viable seed. I wasn't saying that it would NOT work, but just that it wouldn't ABSOLUTELY work! But hey, I'm not sure of the seed maturation rates of those grasses, so I guess I should have kept my mouth shut.:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
In any case, it couldn't hurt trying for a naturally reseeded lawn. I do that myself with other plants.:waving: