PDA

View Full Version : Flushing New Lines

burlap
06-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Should I try to flush a new irrigation line before I install the valves. Do I need to be concerned with getting any sediment in the new valves in the flushing process or well it eventually wash out. Thanks, burlap

lawnmaniac883
06-01-2006, 10:27 PM
What kind of valves? I doubt some sediment will harm new valves anyway but are the valves you are installing the type that you can split open and service? How much sediment/dirt fell into the pipes?

burlap
06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm using Hunter PGV valves. I'm not sure how much dirt and sediment might have fallen in-but I've stories of it only takeing "one grain of sand" to cause a problem in a valve. I was trying to prevent a problem. Thanks, burlap

Grassmechanic
06-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I've stories of it only takeing "one grain of sand" to cause a problem in a valve.
If "one grain of sand" can cause a problem in a valve, that is a junk valve. Stones and pebbles will cause problems, but not a single grain of sand.

lawnmaniac883
06-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Just use your own judgement, if you think a considerable amount fell in the flush um out by all means but usually it takes quite a bit to clog a valve when it comes to dirt and sand. Stones and pebbles are different.

Dirty Water
06-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Just use your own judgement, if you think a considerable amount fell in the flush um out by all means but usually it takes quite a bit to clog a valve when it comes to dirt and sand. Stones and pebbles are different.

Diaphram valves like the hunter PGV don't clog from crap in the line, they stick open because the diaphram cannot seat. It also only takes a very small pebble to do it.

Burlap, its not a bad idea to flush your mainline if you think you got dirt in it. I never to do, but then again, I take great care to keep crap out of it.

Today I had to unclog two fittings because a new guy wasn't being carefull when working with pipe. Theres nothing that angers me more than working a saturday digging up brand new heads.

:hammerhead:

lawnmaniac883
06-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Clog was the wrong term I suppose, stick or jam is a better one :waving: