PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rainbird controller? 3 of 6 zones not working

lafetner
06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
System 10 yrs old. Rainbird RC-7Bi controller with 7 zones...using 6 of them. Turning of for first time this year. Strange...the odd zones (1,3,5) work fine, but the even zones (2,4,6) will not turn on. Controler seems to be running fine. If this was a single zone then I would suspect single valve, or valve wiring. But, all 3 even zones? Anyone know if there is anything that would affect half the zones?

Rtom45
06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Try posting this question in the irrigation section further up the page. You'll probably get a better response by more qualified people there.

justgeorge
06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Depends on how the valves were wired - if the ones that aren't working are further along the wiring path, then the common wire connection may be bad at either the last valve to work, or at the first valve to NOT work.

ed2hess
06-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Well try switching the zones to elimate wiring. Use voltmeter to check continuity of each zone.....

Dirty Water
06-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Are you sure they aren't split into two seperate programs?

Sounds like the original programming on the timer might be confusing you, without looking at it. Sometimes people put some zones on different programs and then use two seperate start times to stagger them.

Grassmechanic
06-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Are you sure they aren't split into two seperate programs?

Sounds like the original programming on the timer might be confusing you, without looking at it. Sometimes people put some zones on different programs and then use two seperate start times to stagger them.
It sounds like you are getting the RC controllers mixed up with the ESP controllers. The RC controllers don't have "programs". Just a simple electro-mechanical controller. But to answer the guy's question, you need to assure that your controller is putting out 24 volts at each of your non working stations. If it is, your problem is in your wiring or possibly solenoids, but with 3 zones not working, it sounds like a common wire is bad as Justgeorge has said.

Dirty Water
06-04-2006, 01:16 AM
It sounds like you are getting the RC controllers mixed up with the ESP controllers. The RC controllers don't have "programs". Just a simple electro-mechanical controller. But to answer the guy's question, you need to assure that your controller is putting out 24 volts at each of your non working stations. If it is, your problem is in your wiring or possibly solenoids, but with 3 zones not working, it sounds like a common wire is bad as Justgeorge has said.

Your right heh, I didn't read that he had a RC, I saw Rainbird and assumed ESP.

Stupid me.
:hammerhead:

Grassmechanic
06-04-2006, 01:21 PM
No need to beat yourself up, I've done the same thing before:laugh: