PDA

View Full Version : grass coming up through mulch

ccas
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
any ideas how to keep this from happening after the mulch has already been put down? will the grass under the mulch eventually die out?

lawnspecialties
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Round-up. Eventually, if the mulch is thick enough, the Round-up will kill the existing grass, and the new grass/weeds won't have a chance to germinate.:)

ccas
06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
the mulch is surrounding some pretty good size bushes. wouldnt the roundup hurt them?

lawnspecialties
06-02-2006, 05:30 PM
As long as the Round-up doesn't get on any of the foliage of the shrubs, you'll be fine. If possible, cover them with trash bags or something because drift can be a killer. As soon as you're done with spraying, take the bags off.

Remember, Round-up does absolutely nothing to the soil. It attacks the plants by entering through the foliage. Good Luck:)

Eakern & Dog
06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
The Round- Up is not good for the shrubs and will kill some depending on what the shrub is and how much Round-Up gets on them. If it's possible you can get a piece of cardboard or plastic and try to shield the shrubs when you spray . Try to spray on a day that is not windy. Another technique I have heard that works is to mix the Round-Up in a bucket and use a "Rag-type mop" and brush the Round-up on the weeds, but I have never tried that technique and wonder if it is really feasible. What kind of grass is coming up under the mulch ?

ccas
06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
its just the grass that i just planted, Lesko starter. I put the mulch down after putting the seed down,

upidstay
06-03-2006, 08:29 AM
So you laid seed down, put down starter fertilizer, then mulched over it?? This is bark mulch we are talkng about, not a seed starter (Penn) mulch we are talking about, right??

carcrz
06-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I did the same thing for a HOA ta few weeks ago. They were putting in a sprinkler system along their community center & in some islands. Then called me to overseed everything. I came back a week later to check up on it & someone had mulched over it?!?! Oh well, now I added that location to my bi-weekly landscape weed control tha tI do for them on all of their entrances.

ccas
06-03-2006, 10:54 AM
when i put the seed down i wasnt completely sure where we were going to put the mulch. these are some brand new bushes, rose of sharon, holly, and 2 othere kind i cant really think of, theyve only been in the ground for about a week. would it be better to dig them up and then use the round up?

jeffinsgf
06-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Look in a good garden center. There are products that kill grass but not broadleafs or shrubs. That's your best bet. Digging up plants that have only been in the ground a short while is going to stress them a great deal. They might survive, but I doubt it.

Seems a little funny to me that RoundUp is the only option that gets mentioned on this forum. Why use a shotgun when you need a sniper rifle?

DoetschOutdoor
06-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Im getting ready to head out to the local feed store to pick up some spray for a similar prob. A lady has a ton of ground cover and the weeds sprout up after every rain we get. So far Ive only talked to the guy on the phone but he said that they have some commercial grade spray that is better than roundup. Ill let ya know what it was called here shortly

upidstay
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Jeff: What else would you use besides Round Up? It can be used as either a shotgun or a sniper rifle, depending on how you use it. I am curious what you would use, because I cannot think of anything else that would kill grass as effectively as good old Glyphosate. (the AI in roundup) There are, of course, dozens opf Round up knock offs, but they are basically the same thing. You could use an acid for a burn down, but again it is a non-selective herbicide.

jeffinsgf
06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Jeff: What else would you use besides Round Up? It can be used as either a shotgun or a sniper rifle, depending on how you use it. I am curious what you would use, because I cannot think of anything else that would kill grass as effectively as good old Glyphosate. (the AI in roundup) There are, of course, dozens opf Round up knock offs, but they are basically the same thing. You could use an acid for a burn down, but again it is a non-selective herbicide.

Just as a couple of examples, Ferti-lome makes a product called "Over The Top" which kills grass, but not broadleaf plants, shrubs or trees. I am sure all the competition has a similar product.

Ortho's Weed-B-Gon and all its generic equivalents will take out broadleaf plants, but not harm grass or trees.

I would think the array of selective options is even greater once you are a licensed applicator. For example, this spring from this forum I learned about Revolver, which killed fescue clumps in my zoysia lawn. It knocked the fescue down in just a couple days, and the zoysia never showed any sign of damage at all.

BTW: How is glysophate not a shotgun? It kills everything green it touches.

lawnspecialties
06-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Just as a couple of examples, Ferti-lome makes a product called "Over The Top" which kills grass, but not broadleaf plants, shrubs or trees. I am sure all the competition has a similar product.

Ortho's Weed-B-Gon and all its generic equivalents will take out broadleaf plants, but not harm grass or trees.

I would think the array of selective options is even greater once you are a licensed applicator. For example, this spring from this forum I learned about Revolver, which killed fescue clumps in my zoysia lawn. It knocked the fescue down in just a couple days, and the zoysia never showed any sign of damage at all.

BTW: How is glysophate not a shotgun? It kills everything green it touches.

By no means do I want to sound arrogant because if I screw up, it could be disasterous. But, I can shoot that shotgun just like a sniper rifle. Remember, you don't have to mist Round-up. And, I don't have to carry a whole Lesco store in my truck.:)