PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake

JTS Landscaping lawn
06-03-2006, 06:04 PM
im looking to get a cold air intake for my 99 gmc 2500 wondering if anyone knows of what brand would be best and how much tor. and hp it will add

oldrustycars
06-03-2006, 07:36 PM
i understand the only thing they add is to the maunfacturers bank account. anything that places an open air filter under the hood is not "cold air". consider just adding a K&N replacement filter. may not be the same for every vehicle, but the tests ive seen in magazines dont show any gain. they arent real clear, because of course they have advertisers to answer to.

THEGOLDPRO
06-03-2006, 07:39 PM
well a good intake, and good flowing exhaust system will yield some real good power numbers from a v8.

lawnmaniac883
06-03-2006, 09:08 PM
To make a cold air intake you will need some kind of piping to the grill area of your truck to actually bring in some fresh cool air, just inserting a high flow filter is worthless IMO.

DoetschOutdoor
06-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Go with the K&N, FIPK is what its called I think. Paired with a good, planned out exhaust it will add power. Also, take it out and clean it with K&N's cleaner once every couple of months and you'll be good to go. I have this intake on my 4.3vortec paired with a good flowmaster setup and it definately added a few hp and helped with my horrible gas mileage a little. Just dont expect anything drastic, but for the money I'd say go for it

lawnspecialties
06-03-2006, 10:47 PM
I had an AFE for my '01 7.3L powerstroke. Did it help some? Maybe a little. I installed it when I installed my 4" exhaust and both of them together, their purpose was really to keep my EGT's down. I tow all the time so "a cool turbo is a happy turbo".

Everything I've read about virtually all aftermarket intakes for my new 6.0L is that they do absolutely nothing in relation to performance gains. I guess what I'm saying in my opinion is, if you want one, get it. Is it worth the couple of hundred dollars? Not unless you have a ton of other mods to demand that extra air flow.

tthomass
06-04-2006, 02:01 AM
intakes do more for sound than power..........but i too want one haha ('02 6.0L 2500hd)

want power without lots of $, get a tune......i'll prob be gett'n a mpg tune, bump up 1.5-2 mpg

Randy J
06-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I prefer the Amsoil to the K&N. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx Both are oiled, but the Amsoil is (supposedly) better for controlling dirt. With either one, especially on turbo applications, make sure you squeeze them good prior to install to get excess oil out.

lawnmaniac883
06-04-2006, 12:38 PM
The Amsoil is a dry element that should only be blown out or vacuumed out. I have read reports on the TDR of the amsoil letting dust into the intake...not sure a gas engine would have this problem because they dont move as much air as a turbo diesel but still something to look into before buying. K&N is junk IMO, buy an AFE if you want high flow. With a K&N you could put a sock over the intake and get better filtration.

Randy J
06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
The Amsoil is a dry element ...

Gotta differ with you on this one. The Amsoil is most certainly oiled. It's an oiled foam instead of oiled gauze - like the K&N.

lawnmaniac883
06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Sorry Randy but the link you posted is to amsoils non-oiled air filters. It is a new nanotechnology type filter that requires no oil and cannot be washed. It can however be blown out with compresses air or vacuumed.

Straight from amsoils website...
EaA filters should be cleaned every year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Carefully remove the filter from the housing. Clean the housing with a shop towel, being careful not to knock contaminants into the air inlet. Filters can be cleaned by carefully vacuuming the filter media on the dirty side, or by holding the filter with one hand and carefully blowing the filter media at a 45 degree angle on the clean side using low-pressure shop air (15-20 lbs. psi).

lwcmattlifter
06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I've used a few K&N's on quads and Jeeps. I will never every use any gauze filter that has to be oiled on anything I own again. The gauze filter yields a little power increase due to it's lack of filtration. I guarantee if you use a K&N or similar in less than 60 days you will find a fine film of dirt and oil on the inside of your throttle body and intake sleeve. Like others said the power gain is so minimal it's not worth it. Most people with K&N or equivalent hear more noise from the engine and associate it with more power. On a dyno a high flow filter may give you .5 hp more at the rear wheels.

Just out of curiosity do you know what the max cfm your engine draws and how many cfm the stock filter is rated for?

Randy J
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry Randy but the link you posted is to amsoils non-oiled air filters. ...

Whoops, my mistake then. I didn't even pay attention - just assumed it was the same oiled filter that I've used in the past.