PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an old dump truck?

drsogr
06-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I have been looking at the dump trailers a little and I need to get one. Basically it would just be used to throw stuff on to and take it to the dump every 2 weeks. In doing so, it made me think, why not buy an old dump truck. 1950 chevy...something like that. I was thinking it could be somewhat of a winter project to fix it up. They seam like extremely simple machines. Being only drivin every couple of weeks, they wouldn't require much more maintenance then a dump trailer. Plus I think it would really look good with the company logo on there. What do you guys think? Do you think I am asking for trouble?

2 clowns mowing
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
i love my 2001 dump truck with lift gate. used to have a regular pickup it's great to dump easy:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Tim Wright
06-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I have an 84 GMC 3500 dumper with a 350 in it, that is my work truck.

Tim

JJLandscapes
06-04-2006, 07:30 PM
every landscaper who uses a dump here uses either 2000+ new dumps or old dump trucks not from the 50's but 80's and early 90's

cet
06-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I have both a 89 & 99 dump. They are great little trucks. My guess is you could find an 80's cheaper then a 50's unless it is a project truck. They do cost a few bucks by the time you pay for the licence sticker and the insurance.

Jpocket
06-04-2006, 09:41 PM
All except one of my trucks is old, but im talking 80's...I would love to have a 50's or 60's dump. They are the ultimate in simplicity. Plus you can retro fit a 350 or 454 into one with no problem if you need a motor or trans.

If you canb find one and can work on it I would go for it. I just don't have the time for all of that. I would love to have like a 65' 1ton all restored and painted up real nice wheel simulators and lettering. You would make the guys with 2007 f-450 psd's look like average joes.

leadarrows
06-04-2006, 09:52 PM
I use a 1977 Chevy C65 everyday and I don't know how I lived with out it.
BUT it is starting to get hard to find some parts for it. My advise on old dump trucks is any year in your price range is fine ....as long as you can still get parts for it convently. If you grow to depend on a truck and it goes down and parts to fix it are either unavailable or have to be ordered it can be a problem.
Also my truck gets about 6 miles to the gallon costing me around 6 grand a year in fuel costs. If I were to upgrade to something that gets 12 miles to the gallon that 3 grand a year savings would soon pay for a newer truck. Just something to consider.

tthomass
06-04-2006, 10:35 PM
back home on the farm we've got a old Chevy 78-82 I'd say............454 in that bad boy and stick shift and doesn't have one of those crappy/slow/weak electric dumps.........i recommend tak'n a peak

don't forget, you can always buy and old dully and put a dump on the rear, lots of them you can find with rebuilt engines...........autotrader.com is your friend

PaulJ
06-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I've been keeping my eyes open for an old truck too. I'm looking at old farm trucks with grain or combo boxes. They often have really low miles for the age and can be gotten cheap at auctions. The ones I've seen have had 16to 18ft boxes and I would rather have one in the 12-14 ft size. easier to maneuver and pull a trailer with if I want to. the grain boxes will hold more volume than a gravel box for mulch or brush. I had my eye on a 66 gmc with a 13ft box and a low mileage 350 in it but they want $2500 for it. which isn't in my cash flow for the use it would get right now. but they are out there.

janb
06-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I've been keeping my eyes open for an old truck too. I'm looking at old farm trucks with grain or combo boxes. ... I had my eye on a 66 gmc with a 13ft box and a low mileage 350 in it but they want $2500 for it. which isn't in my cash flow for the use it would get right now. but they are out there.

Old trucks are great if you have a little time, (for fixing and travel) and an understanding DOT and insurance guy... If you are careful, and don't take 'overweight / brake' risks you should be fine, and they can look really sharp. I got one of my early jobs (truckdriving in college) because I showed up in my '51 GMC that I had bought for $75 and painted up nice, the boss thought I would take good care of his unique fleet (Studebaker diesels)

be careful with powerplants, as the older 'industrial' engines can be very hard to get internal / major parts for. I would also consider getting a 'newer' chassis (powerplant / drivetrain) and transplanting an 'older cab'. but... it is easy to invest a lot of time and $$ in something like that, and not have a valuable asset, and still have to fix it frequently. It all depends on the extent of use and dependance on the truck. Trailers are much cheaper to license and insure, as they rate the trucks as commercial use, whether you use them 5x/yr, or 5x/week. Unless you register as a farm truck, but strict rules apply, and don't go putting commercial signs on it :hammerhead:

Lawn Masters
06-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I think a 50's truck would be OK, assuming you replace anything such as brake lines, and rubber components that could potentially fail and have very bad consequences. they're the simplest things on earth to work on, considering its just a body with a motor and tranny, no computers or shiny wiring to get all messed up. everything is mechaical. down to what would likely be a 4 spd manual tranny and 235 I6 motor if its a chevy. they're great trucks assuming the frame and body isnt rusted out.

tthomass
06-05-2006, 01:14 PM
spend a little on a paint job + your name on the side, it'll get attention as a "classic"...........oh look at that truck, oh whats the company name??? i've thought of it, just not needed yet though

Jpocket
06-05-2006, 10:02 PM
I use a 1977 Chevy C65 everyday and I don't know how I lived with out it.
BUT it is starting to get hard to find some parts for it. My advise on old dump trucks is any year in your price range is fine ....as long as you can still get parts for it convently. If you grow to depend on a truck and it goes down and parts to fix it are either unavailable or have to be ordered it can be a problem.
Also my truck gets about 6 miles to the gallon costing me around 6 grand a year in fuel costs. If I were to upgrade to something that gets 12 miles to the gallon that 3 grand a year savings would soon pay for a newer truck. Just something to consider.

Where do you live? Any 1977 Chevy around here can get ANY part for. We just got rid of a 76' c-30 although not a c-65 you could go to almost any parts store and get the parts for it. Also your 1977 is identical to a 1987 c-60, so I would thing parts would be no problem.

Around here in older medium duty dumps ALL you see is chevy c-40 - c60 most gas, an ocassional detroit or cat.

leadarrows
06-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Indiana.
It's not impossible to get parts yet but not every parts store and only one dealership I'M aware of in my area even have the parts books going back to the seventies. NAPA still has listings and a truck dealership in Muncie has access to most of the parts I have needed so far. I can't just go to any place though. Auto Zones big here but they don't have books going back that far for instance. Our poster is looking at trucks much older so I am just suggesting that he check for parts availability for any old truck he is considering buying and I stand by my advise.

PaulJ
06-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Most of the tree guys aroujnd here use old 2 Ton grain trucks for their wood chips and o lot of contractors use them to haul construction waste. anything from the 50's and up.