PDA

View Full Version : Stuck as stuck can be... Strangest and sloppiest muck I have ever seen.

Stroker
06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I NEVER work on Sundays. But I made an exception today since I am so backed up at the moment. I have a contract clearing 4 1/2 acres around a pond. There are no big trees due to the area being logged many years ago and what trees were left the owner wanted to keep. Just the thickest brush you could imagine. Vines and sapplings high as 20 feet in some places. A good job to get for my RC-100 and Loftness Carbide Cutter....

Anyway, the pond is fed from underground springs. I was working in a man made ditch in one of the thickest areas grinding a fallen log when I backed out to get a different cutting angle. When I pulled back in the front of the machine DROPPED......... I found the underground spring!!!!! or quicksand... Whatever it is it is only in a 5x5 foot area. The grey cement looking muck came up from the tracks spinning. But other than that, the ground all around the machine is practicaly dry..
Due to the door being half covered with soil not allowing it to open, my ass had to come out the emergency window.

Will have pics of tommorows rescue with a bull dozer. 12,500 pounds of buried equipment was just a little too much for my Cummins diesel....

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/gallery/data/500/3tarheel_mcgees_pond.jpg

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/gallery/data/500/3mcgees_3.jpg

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/gallery/data/500/3mcgees_pond_2.jpg

Squizzy246B
06-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Murphy has done it again!. The only spot on the block and you found it. By the look of that muck you could lose a D4 in there.

Hope you recovered the RC100 Ok.

Dirty Water
06-04-2006, 07:56 PM
That has happened to me once before.

I was driving a Ditchwitch 3500 trencher, trenching along and then boom, I was sank up to the feet rests, the tires were completely gone.

Lucky enough, the ground behind me was still pretty solid, so we threw a few thick tree's across the trench and I used the trenching boom and backfill blade to lift the entire machine out of the muck, and about 1' into the air.

Those soft patches are strange.

http://www.catvsupply.com/PDQEH10I.JPG
We then made a "raft" of nearby lumber and backed out. Took a few hours, and it really spooked me.

You were not able to lift the machine out of the muck using your boom?

Tigerotor77W
06-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Ouch... it looks like a D11 would be lost, too -- no knowing how deep that stuff would just keep pulling you in.

all ferris
06-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Thats awesome that you were able to take pics and show every one!!!
I had my T200 burried in a lake bed when I was putting riprap in front of a retaining wall. I was lucky because I had the bucket on and was able to barely push my self out. The lake was lowered about 5' so property owners could work on docks and walls so there was about 10' between the wall and the water. Well my dumb A$$ tried to go along the front of the wall and the track closest to the water sunk so deep I couldn't see it. We had to chain the loader off to a tree on the bank because every time I tried to push myself out with the bucket the loader kept going further out in the water. After about 2 hours we had it out and went about our business.
I hate it when something like getting big equipment stuck can ruin a good day of workk and it can really eat into profits. Just have to shake it off and move on because it happen to everyone.

all ferris
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
BTW- A log skidder would have that RC100 out in about 2 minutes.

murray83
06-04-2006, 09:37 PM
bah we have had about 90mm of rain here in 2 days :( gonna be a similar sight for us tomorrow.

i might think a smaller excavator would be decent....say a 120 size.dozer might be fine.

3 years ago boss i used to work for sent me to do a job near a small brook it rained like a you know what the week before,homeowner wanted it diverted..yeah hated it before i even had the task it screamed dept of environment fines...so took the 160 out back started fine then walked it up further and she started going i had enough time to swing and brace the bucket on the bank and stop it from sinking anymore....when all was said and done i burried the complete rear and she sunk on my cab side just below the bottom of the door :rolleyes:

called him scared shatless and he burst out laughing and sent out the 120 we finally got it out after i think 20 minutes he almost met a similar fate so i wasn't too embarrased.i wish i had pics that hitachi was covered in brown slop lol :(

BSDeality
06-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Ouch! at least you didn't get pinned in there. by the looks of the surroundings no one would have seen you in there.

I saw a United Rental Telehandler at a jobsite on friday sunk up to the engine compartment in the rear. There was plenty of other heavy equipment around to haul it out, but they've left it sitting all weekend in the muck, unbelievable.

ksss
06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Last week I was building a rock retaining wall next to a lake. I had to build a rock platform to set my excavator on to do the job. Well due to the slope and mud and of course water, I got stuck, I threw off one track on the excavator and in about 10 min. later threw the other track. Nothing like putting tracks on an excavator in hip deep water. Great day.

minimax
06-04-2006, 10:40 PM
the salesmen i use at pape', has a pic. of a deere 160 total underwater,salt water to make things worst.The guy had rented it to work on a bulkhead at a really low tide on a Sunday, got stuck and watched the tide come in;).

Dirty Water
06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
You guys should get yourself some swamp tracks :laugh:

http://www.wilcomarshbuggies.com/images/345.jpg

Those tracks are 36' long and 6' wide :)

DBL
06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
wow i bet it was fun getting that out...but at the local equipment rental that we use they have a ton of pictures of equipment stuck in mud or rolled over but that ones in there pretty good

Kepple Services
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
The last pic I saw of a stuck excavator was up in Pensacola. I had to drive there from Biloxi to get a part. They had sold a used hitachi 160(I think) to a guy 2 weeks before it was taken. He brought it to a farm to do some clearing and drove it through a "wet area".. yeah, wet it was... as far as anyone can tell it was a hole at least 30 feet deep... I saw a series of pics from when it started to sink, until all there was left was the to of the arm sticking out of the ground. From my understanding they had to bring in a 100T crane to get it out...

Scag48
06-05-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm glad we don't have that kind of mud in these parts. I'll pass!

carcrz
06-05-2006, 07:51 AM
How'd you like to be this guy?

jazak
06-05-2006, 08:26 AM
I have a real nice pic for you guys just have to go find it:)

Dirty Water
06-05-2006, 08:36 AM
http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/trouble/r70.jpg

DOH!

http://www.bkbingham.com/bkbingha/images/Disneyland/IMG_0715.JPG

Dammit!

murray83
06-05-2006, 08:47 AM
post #15 looks similar to what i did :rolleyes: ended up getting 123mm of rain in 2 days :( no work for awhile i think.

Tigerotor77W
06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey, now, enough with the stuck Cats! Post some deranged Deere or buried Komatsu...

:laugh:

(joking around, guys... not intended to start a brand war here)

Kepple Services
06-05-2006, 10:00 PM
The top picture in #17 looks similar to the one that I saw.. all there was sticking out was the elbow of the stick....

Kepple Services
06-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I just found this on another site im a member of... All I know is that he stated it was in the online site of a local paper in NY someplace.

murray83
06-06-2006, 09:02 AM
LOL is the trooper trying to pull it back upright?:rolleyes: ;)

janb
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
at least it is 'off to the side' of the road. The last guy to dump his brand new hoe off his trailer in our local 'switch-backs' dropped it in the middle of the road and it really chewed things up, and closed the road for a couple days, as they rounded up a crane and got it to the site.

issue - Empty dump truck, got Pushed (jack-knifed) by the tongue / weight of trailer /hoe on a tight / steep - paved; but washboard corner. Very easy to happen with the beefy springs, poor traction of a dump, on an 'unanticipated' tight downhill corner. 281 days of rain doesn't help (hurrying to next job, or loading up at night and heading down the wet road all muddy) of course with adequate trailer brakes (and properly set) this could have been avoided... or going very - 'SLOW' - :hammerhead:

scholzee
06-06-2006, 12:27 PM
All this time I have been cleaning the tracks the hard way, He sure got the mud out with that move LOL

grassmanvt
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
How about a belly hung tractor? (Yes, its mine)

Dirty Water
06-06-2006, 08:49 PM
So, how about some rescue pictures?

bbailey
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
grassmanvt where are you in VT? Just curious cause we sure have had enough rain for a little while here in Rutland, VT.:dizzy:

grassmanvt
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
grassmanvt where are you in VT? Just curious cause we sure have had enough rain for a little while here in Rutland, VT.:dizzy:

I'm in Berlin, tucked right between Barre and Montpelier.

grassmanvt
06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
So, how about some rescue pictures?

Here you go. Took my uncle about an hour to tug it out with the old 933 Cat. Also broke a couple chains pulling.

qps
06-06-2006, 10:31 PM
http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/trouble/r70.jpg

DOH!

http://www.bkbingham.com/bkbingha/images/Disneyland/IMG_0715.JPG

Dammit!

Scag....is that you in there????:laugh:

Scag48
06-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah man, my dad fired me :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hummer
06-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Stroker,

So how'd the RC-100 recovery go? I haven't seen an updates on it.

PROCUT1
06-15-2006, 08:10 PM
I just found this on another site im a member of... All I know is that he stated it was in the online site of a local paper in NY someplace.

This happened about 2 miles from me, a rental center semi hauling the excavator went around the turn too fast and lost the machine.

Stroker
06-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Stroker,

So how'd the RC-100 recovery go? I haven't seen an updates on it.

I had almsot forgotten to post the recovery pics. The quickest and easiest option I decided was to just pay $150 for a heavy duty tow truck to come winch it out.

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/gallery/data/500/3wrecker01.jpg

Let the cleaning of the tracks begin...

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/gallery/data/500/3after_1.jpg

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/gallery/data/500/3hole1.jpg

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/gallery/data/500/3hole2.jpg

Hummer
06-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Stroker,

Could you check your PM box please?

Thanks!

Stroker
06-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Stroker,

Could you check your PM box please?

Thanks!

I just saw it. I hardly ever look at the top of the page. I will reply a little later. :)

Tigerotor77W
06-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Have a question for you, Stroker -- you said you had to exit out the emergency window. Does the ASV emergency window go back into place? (Just curious because the window seems to be intact in the first photos.) If so, are they the only manufacter to have an emergency window that goes back once you use it?

Itsgottobegreen
06-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I got my B7500 stuck once brush hogging around a man made pond. The pond had an over flow channel (didn't know that, brush was 5' tall.) Then the wheels started to spin. Stunk right in up to the frame. Tried to push my self out with the loader. No luck. Ended up taking 4 comalongs and 4 chains (closes telephone pole was 120 feet away) to get her out. Haven't done that place since. The guy offered twice the money then next time he asked to get it done. NO THANKS.

Oh how do you like your carbit cutter??? Thinking about getting one or the timber ax.

Stroker
06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Have a question for you, Stroker -- you said you had to exit out the emergency window. Does the ASV emergency window go back into place? (Just curious because the window seems to be intact in the first photos.) If so, are they the only manufacter to have an emergency window that goes back once you use it?

The emergency window is in front. The door itself would not open. But there is an orange tab you can pull which releases the window itself. I had to release the window then kick my way out. The dealer put the window back in for me as it is a huge pain in the ass once its been out. I doubt my big a$$ would even fit through the rear glass on an ASV..lol

Tigerotor77W
06-17-2006, 01:48 PM
The emergency window is in front. The door itself would not open. But there is an orange tab you can pull which releases the window itself. I had to release the window then kick my way out. The dealer put the window back in for me as it is a huge pain in the ass once its been out. I doubt my big a$$ would even fit through the rear glass on an ASV..lol

Ah, gotcha... some of the marketing guys in Sanford (Cat SSL plant) were joking that if whoever used the rear emergency window had to but it back together as well. :laugh:

Dirtman2007
10-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I bet you never thought this post would rise again. I Just found it! Just looking at the pictures I knew you have to be in NC, sure enough your in Raleigh too. You even called Dean's to pull it out, they used to haul all our equipment around.

Yep that's The type of ground we have in Raleigh, one minute your on solid ground then you hit a underground spring and sink out of site. I've buried my tak 150 in places like that dozens of times. At least my front window rolls up and I can get out with out kicking it out.

May I ask where in raleigh this job was?