PDA

View Full Version : Lawn has mega-weeds! Whats best product to use??

kbreese
06-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I had previously overseeding and than was watering 3X a day for the new seed, but i think all the watering really helped the weeds go crazy and just in the past couple weeds they have srung up everywhere!...and I mean everywhere! they are starting to take over the whole lawn so i really need to do something asap.

Whats the best stuff to use that will kill the weeds but not that grass. I need something that I can spread with my broadcaster...pellet type stuff. Not spray b/c it would take way to long to spray the whole lawn.

Thanks!

PS - Hopefully something I can get at Home Depot.

mike lane lawn care
06-04-2006, 09:39 PM
the best that i can think of from home depot is ortho lawn weed killer, or scots weed and feed, they both should kill the weeds but not the grass.

kbreese
06-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Does it come in pellet form for my broadcast spreader? In another of my threads another member on this foumr said the Ortho stuff wasn't good, so that was one of the reasons I was asking. Suppose thats just one guys opinion though. I just want to make sure I can kill all these damn weeds

mike lane lawn care
06-04-2006, 11:42 PM
it's spreadable in a broadcast spreader

procut
06-05-2006, 12:17 AM
PS - Hopefully something I can get at Home Depot.
You can get Vigoro weed & feed 28-3-2 at home depot. It seems to work pretty good from what I've seen. It can be spread in a broadcast spreader.

kbreese
06-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Do they make something without the "feed" part? I put a lot of fertilizer down about a month ago when I overseeded and don't want to overfertilize.

garth1967
06-05-2006, 01:09 AM
you are right about the over fert ,it can sour the soil.let me say it sounds as though you got crap seed or you didnt prep properly.i would try anything that does kill grass and hit it really good over your summer.if you want to go the organic way hit it with neem and mow it at on the highest notch without the catcher

kbreese
06-05-2006, 06:28 PM
you are right about the over fert ,it can sour the soil.let me say it sounds as though you got crap seed or you didnt prep properly.i would try anything that does kill grass and hit it really good over your summer.if you want to go the organic way hit it with neem and mow it at on the highest notch without the catcher

I am assuming you mean to say anything the doesn't kill grass right?:confused:

How many applications do you think I'll need to do. Just once, or several times over the coming months?

By the way, the seed used was a good seed, it's Rebel Supreme tall fascue blend., but the lawn already had existing weed problems.

As far as overfertilizing souring the soil. What if I did that already? Does the soil eventually normalize or could I have permanently screwed it up, or at least for the whole season? What happened was the landscaper but some down but I wasn't confident he put much down b/c he seemed to be a skimper, so I went over the whole lawn again with fertilizer, so it was done twice within a week or so. i think between that and all the watering I did helped all the weeds go crazy.

kbreese
06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
One other question. We are expecting rain all week starting tommorow. Does it matter if I put the pellet type weed killer down before it rains? I know with the spray on stuff you have to give it like 24hrs with no rain or it won't work.

SodKing
06-05-2006, 08:44 PM
KBreese You being a homeowner I will give you advise on treating your lawn. The fact you have a bunch of weeds is not surprising nor out of the question. There are millions of seeds in the soil and sometimes newly spread soil will have an abundance of ungerminated seeds. It is not the fault of bad prep, bad soil, bad seed, it simply is what comes in soil... It doesn't sound like you have mowed the lawn yet, it sounds like the seed has been down 2 weeks. Therefore you cannot use the "weed and feeds" that contain 2,4-d or dicamba dry or liquid. The salt content is too high and could result in the damage of the new turf.

When the seed is 4 weeks old (after germination) you can use Drive 75 (quinclorac) available at Lesco ( www.lesco.com ). You can use the "weed and feed" or Three Way (weed-b-gone) herbicides when the grass has been mowed at least 3 times (4-6weeks after germination). This is all according to the labels on the products which you should follow.

As for fertilizing. Both you and the landscaper more than likely applied a fertilizer at no more than 1#/1000feet nitrogen which would n=mean that within 2 weeks you applied 2#'s N. Thats fine, you did not ruin the soil. I do suggest that at the 4 week mark after the second application you apply a starter fertilizer to encourage root growth. Better yet use a Fertilizer with siduron (Tupersan) to prevent crabgrass.

You are in NY. There are several Lesco service centers on Long Island. Go to one of them. The products are superior to what you can buy at homedepot.

kbreese
06-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the response. Well I am probably 6 weeks past the germination point. Here's whats strang though. The grass is staying at like 2" high and is not growing any more. Its been the same height for like 3 weeks! (Only talking about the new grass).

Where I have the mesga weeds is the side of our front lawn that I overseeded. The OTHER side is the all new lawn. That has some weeds too that i have been spot treating. Should I hit it with more fertilizer? Is that why its not growing anymore? Its had plenty of water so that isnt the problem.

I just dont know if I can use weed and feed yet. Its been plenty of time but I havent even cut the new grass once! I of course cut the side of the lawn that I overseeded but all thats being cut is the existing grass, the new grass is too low still as stated...

garth1967
06-11-2006, 05:40 AM
alot that sodking is definitely correct.there is no short term solution to this .the advice i will give you is simple.your grass will grow well in the next coming summer.......and the weeds will too.mow and regularly at the same height .grass will always do better than weeds .work hard on those weeds for the next 9 months and the grass will take over

kbreese
06-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Well I hope so. So being that it's about 6 weeks since the new grass first came up is it ok now to do the weed and feed even though the new grass stopped growing 2-3 weeks ago? Thats the part I don't know about right now. The new turf hasn't even been cut once b/c it hasn't grown high enough yet. I just don't want to damage the new grass. It hasn't even been mowed yet b/c it hasn't grown high enough.

Ok maybe this will help. Here are some pictures...

Here is the side of the lawn where it was overseeding to fill in a ton of bare spots and here is an area of the grass where there was large bare spots and you can see the new turf within the former bare spots, and the height that its at:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/kbreese/Lawn/Lawnpictures006.jpg

And here is the other side of the front lawn which was all newly planted. You will see there still a good amount of bare spots that I'll need to work on getting filled in and you'll also see some big weeds that have sprouted up as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/kbreese/Lawn/Lawnpictures002.jpg

And even though the lawn looks poor now....look to see how bad the lawn was before hand here are before and after shots of the side that was thatched and overseeded (not the all new side). It probably just should have all been killed and started over. Maybe it still should be, I don't know.

BEFORE:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/kbreese/Lawn/Dsc01030.jpg

AFTER:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/kbreese/Lawn/Lawnpictures004.jpg

PS-The picture may default to a smaller size. To see the larger size picture which will show better detail, hold your mouse over the bottom right cornerand click on the box that comes up (for those who didn't know this).