PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my trees

All_Clear
06-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Well rather then trying to explain, I'll just post the pictures. All the trees around here have this, is it normal, i've never noticed it before but that doesnt mean anything. Reminds me of old potatos resprouting.

Sorry i don't know much plants and learning as i go.

Thanks
All Clear

All_Clear
06-04-2006, 09:56 PM
another..............

mcwlandscaping
06-04-2006, 10:37 PM
wtf!!lol, thats weird!! i thought a bunch of inch worms at first but it looks like its growing out of the leaves!!

hey, what you lookin at on your computer in that second pic??haha, jk man

All_Clear
06-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Nope not worms... It is growing out of the leaves... looked odd to me too, figured someone here would know...

Pic on the pc is the msn homepage.

Like i said it reminds me of old potatoes that resprout buds...

Oh and the entire tree is like this along with the others in my yard....

All Clear

97firebird
06-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Are they actually growing out of the leaves or growing on the leaves? Sometimes other organisms will grow on top of the tree leaves. I am a bio major, and have never heard or seen any leaf sprout something from it.

DBL
06-04-2006, 10:55 PM
what ever it is i dont think its helping your trees...so tell it to get off of them asap

All_Clear
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Are they actually growing out of the leaves or growing on the leaves? Sometimes other organisms will grow on top of the tree leaves. I am a bio major, and have never heard or seen any leaf sprout something from it.

Well i'd say it's growing out of it... Here are 4 more pictures. First 2 here are the back side of the leaves and last 2 are close ups.

All_Clear
06-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Back side of leaves...

All_Clear
06-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Close up......

All_Clear
06-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Last one.....

RD592
06-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Does it look like it could be some type of larva in a cacoon. :confused:

Eakern & Dog
06-05-2006, 10:47 AM
It looks like some type of Leaf Gall.

All_Clear
06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Does it look like it could be some type of larva in a cacoon. :confused:

It's not a larva/cacoon... It's actually growing out of the leaves.

I had a thought... we had a really good pea and marble size hail storm, ripped a bunch of the leaves... could this be something the tree leaves have done to mend itself.... "shrugs" sounds a little out there i know but i can't explain it.

If its a disease, someone should have come across it before.

All Clear

RD592
06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
I did a search and i think these things are called galls. Galls or formed by mites. Once the mites bites the leaf they cause a chemical or hormonal change to the leaf that causes galls. In the gall there is a mite ( so it is a sort of cacoon). They say that it doesnt harm the tree and there is not much that could be done to get rid of them.

Jason Rose
06-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I have one customer that has a maple tree, I think it's a red maple, anyway, it has galls on the leaves too, last year and they are there again this year. they are kind of reddish in color and not long like that but sort of raisin like on the leaves. each leaf has a few. It's not noticible at all from a distance and the tree looks healthy, but when you contact the tree and then see them the first time it's kind of a freak out since you think they are BUGS of some sort! Iv'e not noticed another like it and there are plenty of maples of all kinds around here. Looks like your's is a sweet gum.

mkwl
06-05-2006, 10:22 PM
wtf!!lol, thats weird!! i thought a bunch of inch worms at first but it looks like its growing out of the leaves!!

hey, what you lookin at on your computer in that second pic??haha, jk man

I was thinking the same thing...I've never seen anything like that on leaves before!:dizzy: :hammerhead:

All_Clear
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I did a search and i think these things are called galls. Galls or formed by mites. Once the mites bites the leaf they cause a chemical or hormonal change to the leaf that causes galls. In the gall there is a mite ( so it is a sort of cacoon). They say that it doesnt harm the tree and there is not much that could be done to get rid of them.

Interesting!

Sounds good to me... I figured someone would know.

The trees seem healthy other then it looks kinda funny, if it's not going to hurt it and not much to do, then i'll leave it be.

Thanks!
All Clear

All_Clear
06-05-2006, 10:36 PM
I have one customer that has a maple tree, I think it's a red maple, anyway, it has galls on the leaves too, last year and they are there again this year. they are kind of reddish in color and not long like that but sort of raisin like on the leaves. each leaf has a few. It's not noticible at all from a distance and the tree looks healthy, but when you contact the tree and then see them the first time it's kind of a freak out since you think they are BUGS of some sort! Iv'e not noticed another like it and there are plenty of maples of all kinds around here. Looks like your's is a sweet gum.

Yeah your right, these were red about a week ago, there are some leaves that have red ones on them. But i just grabbed a low branch to get a picture to show you guys.

As for the type of maple i couldn't tell you, i really don't know my plants, other then it's a maple :laugh:

Thanks
All Clear

phototropic1
06-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Looks like your's is a sweet gum.

No, it's definitely a Maple. One picture shows the fruit. A two-winged samara, not a gumball.

Jason Rose
06-05-2006, 11:12 PM
No, it's definitely a Maple. One picture shows the fruit. A two-winged samara, not a gumball.

DUH to me... Also that shows how different the climates are, our maple trees threw off the seeds almost 2 months ago! That looks like a sugar maple leaf then, they do have an apperance that is similar to the sweet gum. and If i'm way off again on that, well then shoot me, lol

tthomass
06-05-2006, 11:31 PM
i would soak it in gasoline and burn it quick, that look alone would annoy the hell out of me..........wood ****** holes annoy me even, i can't stand something being unsightly......rant over :)

All_Clear
06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
DUH to me... Also that shows how different the climates are, our maple trees threw off the seeds almost 2 months ago! That looks like a sugar maple leaf then, they do have an appearance that is similar to the sweet gum. and If I'm way off again on that, well then shoot me, lol

Well thats what i wanted to call it but didn't want to show how little i know about them. I believed it was a sugar maple and yes tosses the helicopters everywhere.

Also it has already dropped once, not sure why it has a bunch more now, never noticed it dropping more then once a year but then again never really paid much attention. Now that we live here and I've been maintaining the property (formally my grandparents house, left to dad, which we rent from now) I'm noticing these type of things.

Thanks
All Clear

All_Clear
06-05-2006, 11:44 PM
i would soak it in gasoline and burn it quick, that look alone would annoy the hell out of me..........wood ****** holes annoy me even, i can't stand something being unsightly......rant over :)

Haha, well unless you look close it's not really noticeable, the trees are 30+ feet tall, I had to stretch just to pull these off.

Your answer reminded me of a post i was going to respond to the other day about fire ants & how to get rid of them... I was thinking gas and a match :laugh: Guess i still have some pyro in me :rolleyes:

All Clear

stevo22
06-07-2006, 01:21 AM
i would send the tree to have a std test asap!!!and tell em to keep his trunk in the ground!!!

poolboy
06-07-2006, 06:32 AM
I have no idea what is wrong with that tree, but it did show up in one of my dreams last night.:sleeping:

Lynch Landscaping
06-07-2006, 07:37 AM
I have never seen any thing like that.

jameson
06-07-2006, 09:08 AM
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2004.html

4 Seasons
02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
W.T.F. is that?????

fearthedeere
02-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Way to go Jameson...at least someone in our profession knows where to look. I will sympathize with the rest of you not educated in the field of entomology because I would probably be asking the same thing if I hadn't had my entomology class at Purdue. These galls are actually rather common. They don't really hurt your trees that much though surprisingly. They mostly hurt it aesthetically if you have a client that freaks out about stuff like that. Google Landscape entomology and youl find Purdue's landscape entomology labratory...lots of good stuff if you're looking for info on how to treat any infestation.

Uranus
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
They are galls. just in case we haven't come to that conclusion yet.
Or, wait, maybe, yep! Those are utters. The tree must have just dropped its seeds and now the little saplings need some of that tasty syrup. In case you dont understand it kind of like when a calf drinks off it's mothers teats.
:laugh: :dancing: :laugh: :waving:

4 Seasons
02-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the sympathy professor!!!

cgland
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Definately a gall. If you look closely you can see that each protrusion is coming out of a vein. Cause?.......that's a good question.

Chris