PDA

View Full Version : Is this good for my truck?

Petr51488
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Ok.. here's the story. I own a 98 chevy silverado 1500. I use this truck mainly for work and drive my car for pleasure. The truck is usually hooked up to my 6x12 enclosed all week (easy to get up in the morning not having to worry about hooking up the trailer. it wastes a good 20 minutes in the morning) and the 8 foot bed is gradually filled with grass the whole week.. up until i go to the dump on Fridays. There's nothing i can really do about the grass, but my question is.. will it mess up my suspension by constantly having that weight on it all week?( It usually has little to no weight on weekends) It doesn't have one of them heavy duty suspensions like the HD models have. Am i better off unhooking the trailer every night and just leaving the grass in the back just to relieve it of some weight? The trailer does sag it down a bit. Will I have any long term problems if i keep this up?

grandview (2006)
06-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Sometimes with my dump trailer I'll use the trailer jack and take some of the weight off.

tthomass
06-05-2006, 12:03 AM
yes you can mess up your suspension.........shocks

put the jack/landing gear down to take weight off the truck

think of it as carrying 20lbs on your shoulder all day, you can do it but you'll get tired, then your back will begin hurting etc.......translate that to a truck if you like haha........but yeah, your shocks prob don't like you

gammon landscaping
06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
well i would look at it like this a new set of springs and wheel bearing for that truck would set you back a couple hundred dollars. 20 mins every day for a month would cost way more to you. leave it hooked and replace some springs in a few years

tthomass
06-05-2006, 12:08 AM
no no no.............leave it hooked up yes, just lower the jack down to take weight off the truck

and if it takes you 20min to hook up/unhook a trailor you can't drive or something........if you just lower the gear you can take care of suspension problems

FearThisDeere
06-05-2006, 07:02 AM
You can unhitch the ball and just jack it up. In the morning, lower the jack and you are already lined up. According to your 20 minute calculation, this should only take you 10 minutes.:weightlifter: :laugh:

Ron's Lawncare
06-05-2006, 07:19 AM
You can unhitch the ball and just jack it up. In the morning, lower the jack and you are already lined up. According to your 20 minute calculation, this should only take you 10 minutes.:weightlifter: :laugh:

LOL...:laugh:

fiveoboy01
06-05-2006, 07:48 AM
yes you can mess up your suspension.........shocks

Having constant weight on the rear suspension isn't going to do anything to the shocks if the truck is just sitting there.

It will cause the leaf springs to "sag" prematurely.

Just throw a block of wood under the trailer jack and crank it up for the night.

Petr51488
06-05-2006, 09:26 AM
no no no.............leave it hooked up yes, just lower the jack down to take weight off the truck

and if it takes you 20min to hook up/unhook a trailor you can't drive or something........if you just lower the gear you can take care of suspension problems

The only reason why it takes me 20 minutes is because i park my trailer in the driveway, truck in the street, unload everything, unhitch it, and every morning load everything back up again. My driveway is a tight squeeze too. I've got about a foot on each side of the car port to go under. Ok, maybe not 20 minutes.. lets say a good 10-15 minutes.

meathead1134
06-05-2006, 09:33 AM
The only reason why it takes me 20 minutes is because i park my trailer in the driveway, truck in the street, unload everything, unhitch it, and every morning load everything back up again. My driveway is a tight squeeze too. I've got about a foot on each side of the car port to go under. Ok, maybe not 20 minutes.. lets say a good 10-15 minutes.

1 foot on each side is plenty of room, I back my trailer into my garage and have 3 or 4 inches on each side, It takes practice I wish I had that much room on each side.

tthomass
06-05-2006, 01:11 PM
well yeah short driveways would make a difference there........i've go thte same issur (townhouse) but put my truck and trailor on the side street, perhaps you can to save your self some headache??

sitting still may not hurt your shocks so much (leaf springs yes) as driving around with the weight on the rear but if you've got a good amount of tongue weight that will put wear on the shocks......they can bottom out etc, cause leaking seals and so forth.......put it this way, if your shocks do go, upgrade to a better suspension

often people put big subwoofers etc in the trunk of their car for some bling bling and show........few thousand miles later the shocks are blown from the added 200+ lbs in the trunk all the time........be'n a 1500 truck you have its worth a consideration to see how much weight you actually put on the rear of your truck and the duration of that

all else, you could just add some leaf springs

Scag48
06-06-2006, 03:00 AM
Drop the landing gear at night. That'll relieve some tongue weight, not much you can do about the grass, but every little bit helps.