PDA

View Full Version : what a tool...

jacob land and
06-05-2006, 12:37 PM
this guy calls me up and wants a quote on some brush cutting, so i go out to his house and it is fairly nice, one of those big but not as nice as you would expect ones. it has a big u shaped pond that is full of lilly pads and as soon as i saw it i knew it was going to be one of those kind of bids. i knock on the door and he tells me he is going to put a sign up at the grocery store to find a high school kid to come work for him. so on the note i come in and he is walking all trough his house with me tagging behind he takes me through his garage (three car garage with a dakota, a miata, and a 95 vette all waxed up like im supposed to be in aww of the beautiful cars lol) then he tells me to get in the canoe, im like ok sure. we get out on the water and he hands me a hand saw and tells me he wants all of the lilly pads cut down. long story short he winds up fighting me on a quote of 15 dollars an hour:dizzy: . so i tell him fine ill be out here at 8:00 am at $10 an hour should i leave him hanging or do the right thing and tell him a better job came my way :laugh:

Brendan Smith
06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
will he be there the entire time? if not, make sure it takes three 12 hour days and enjoy the fishing :drinkup: :laugh:

MarcSmith
06-05-2006, 02:17 PM
so how did it go from brush cutting to lilypad removal....please tell me your joking at considering this for $10.00 an hour....or even 15....

Just get some rodeo.....It'll take car of the lily pads....

jacob land and
06-05-2006, 07:54 PM
what is rodeo

MarcSmith
06-06-2006, 07:33 AM
its roundup for aquatic use.....More or less...

SodKing
06-06-2006, 07:51 AM
He doesn't appear to be licensed to apply pesticides.

MarcSmith
06-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Until I worked in Aquatics....I never knew what rodeo was.....and i had my Pest Lic...albeit it was for L&O not aquatitcs at the time...

topsites
06-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, I speak only from my own experience (which means I've had this happen to me, more than once, really more than a few times).

Man, he done took a whiz on you the way a dog pees on a fire hydrant, and don't laugh because it's not funny (ok it is).
The reason I know this is because I've been there, and the reason a dog pees on a fire hydrant is to mark it as his territory.
So he marked you as his, that right there would've ticked me off so bad, I would've walked away long before he had a chance to do the canoe trick.

First: NEVER go into a customer's house!
That's along the same lines as when they invite you for dinner, they think of you as their boy, which also explains why this guy was thinking $10 / hour. Why he would think that is anyone's guess, but he's obviously convinced of it, so it's time to leave because this guy isn't just in left field, he's not even in the same ballpark.

It has happened to me when I did go into someone's house (even recently) because I just didn't think they were doing it for that reason, but even then it is a very bad idea: If something disappears, you can be accused of stealing whatever it is they misplaced or someone else took. Not to mention what would happen if you accidentally brushed up against some rare import Ming Dinasty Vase and it fell and broke.

But whenever I get one like this, especially your guy, I see this one coming before I finished reading: I mean, you saw it too! Right when you're thinking it's going to be one of those bids, that is your first clue. I always give them one red flag for free, so the invite in the house, that's red flag two - If I let it get that far, the canoe is the last flag they get because now I RUN! For people like this, if I give them a price I always double the price and I'm out of there so fast as they just stand there with the same look in their eyes as a deer that just got caught in the headlights of a car (which is what gives me the opportunity to leave).

As far as what I would do had the situation progressed as far, the thought of leaving one hanging tempts me as well but a phone call would be the proper way out.