PDA

View Full Version : I bought a 89 F350 daully 4wd Stake body off ebay

howardsells2000
06-06-2006, 01:27 AM
I never thought I would buy a truck or car with out looking at it first. I got caught up in the bidding and bought it. I only paid $1500.00 and the truck runs, drives, stops and is in ok condition. I went to pick it up this evening. When I saw it for the first time I was relieved it was a little better than what I was expecting. I paid the guy and he left. I met him at a gas station near his house. He lives about 1.5 hours away from me. I go to fill the truck with gas and the gas pump won't pump except for on the lowest speed. The filler neck on the gas tank doesn't look factory so I guess I will just have to take my time filling. Gas tank #2 doesnt work. So as I'm filling it up I see gas running out from under the truck. So I guess the #1 tank has a big leak or the fuel lines need replacing. Well after I stop pumping and a minute goes buy the gas stops leaking. So I'm thinking to myself no big deal I will work on this problem later. I start the truck and now it is dark. I turn on the lights and pull out. I drive about a half mile and the lights go off. So I pull over and find a wire bypassing the high beam switch was loose. I jiggled the wire the lights came back on. I drive about 100 feet the lights go out again. This time when I jiggle the wires nothing happens. Now I am trying to sneak this truck home with the tags off my F150 so I don't really want to draw any attention to myself. I can see a store up the road so I drive there and park in there lighted parking lot. I carry tools all the time in my 2004 F150 but I didn't bring any tools with me because my brother drove me to pick up this truck. Luckily the store sells pliers and a flashlight. I commence to check fuses and completely cut off the plug for the high beams and strip the wires and bypass the plug. No luck. So I end up leaving the truck on the parking lot with a note in the window that I will be back tomorrow. I had to pull my tags off so I can drive my other truck. Hopefully it won't get towed, the folks at the store know my situation. I didn't get home until midnight and my brother live about a half hour from me so he isn't home yet. What a mess.
I'm thinking I might call some towing company's in the morning and if it is under $250 to tow it home I just might do it. Because i can't afford to miss mowing lawns tomorrow. I carried 5 lawns from today over to tomorrow so I could go pick up that truck today. Oh well not asking for any advise I just wanted to vent. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

tthomass
06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
link to the ebay page? curious for pics now

J&R Landscaping
06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Yes, I am also curious as to what truck it was as I have looked at a lot of them on ebay lately! Sorry to hear about your ordeal!

Jpocket
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
You don't need lights to drive in the day time.:rolleyes:

Edgewater
06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
The fuel problem is a typical FORD thing. I see even newer econolines at the pump with one guy pumping and the other rocking the van. The filler line goes in too flat and they don"t vent right. The spilling gas is beacause the vent hose is full.

Re the electrical stuff. Auto electric is a PITA. I am comfortable with it so what I do is when a system starts to give me problems ie lights, I will re wire that one system.

good luck

mcwlandscaping
06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
tough break on the problems, seems like you got a decent truck for the price you paid for it though. post some pics up of it!

howardsells2000
06-06-2006, 11:27 PM
How do I link the Ebay page?

I paid $300.00 and had it towed home today. I didn't finish cutting until dark so I still haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Electra_Glide
06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I never thought I would buy a truck or car with out looking at it first. I got caught up in the bidding and bought it.

Don't feel too bad...here's my story.

I'd been looking for a 1-ton dump all winter, and finally found a '95 Chevy on e-bay that was local to me in April. I went and looked at it, test droive it, and made the guy an offer, which he accepted.

I thought I had gottenj a pretty good deal, until I got it home. The problems started about a week after I got it home, and I think I just finally got them behind me in the last week or so, but my wallet is considerably lighter, and I'm not sure my deal was such a deal anymore.

Joe

howardsells2000
06-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Well I had a little time today to work on the truck. I fixed the lights, cleaned up the battery cables and tinkered around. I noticed it had a pretty bad oil leak. It has been leaking all week. The truck has not been started but it looks like about a two foot round stain under the oil pan. I climbed under it and thought I found the problem at the drain plug. I tightened it and the oil seemed to stop leaking. I waited a few hours and it still seemed to have had stopped. I checked the oil after that and it was a quart low. I added the quart and it started leaking again. I climbed back under it and I think the oil pan may be leaking. I think I have heard of this before on these trucks. It has the 460 gas engine in it. I will continue tinkering and see what I can figure out. I will also start talking with some local mechanics and try to find out if I have to raise the engine to change the pan. I hope not.

Anyway, I don't need the truck yet, I have some time to get the truck on the road.

All_Clear
06-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Well I had a little time today to work on the truck. I fixed the lights, cleaned up the battery cables and tinkered around. I noticed it had a pretty bad oil leak. It has been leaking all week. The truck has not been started but it looks like about a two foot round stain under the oil pan. I climbed under it and thought I found the problem at the drain plug. I tightened it and the oil seemed to stop leaking. I waited a few hours and it still seemed to have had stopped. I checked the oil after that and it was a quart low. I added the quart and it started leaking again. I climbed back under it and I think the oil pan may be leaking. I think I have heard of this before on these trucks. It has the 460 gas engine in it. I will continue tinkering and see what I can figure out. I will also start talking with some local mechanics and try to find out if I have to raise the engine to change the pan. I hope not.

Anyway, I don't need the truck yet, I have some time to get the truck on the road.

Oil leak is common on these trucks. Oil pans rust out pretty bad on some. As for lifting the engine... if i remember correctly yes since it's 4x4, you will have to lift it to get it out. If you can find the leak there are guys out there that have patched theirs, i remember one saying he fiberglassed the entire pan and hasn't had a leak since. I myself would just have it replaced and make sure to give it a good coat of paint and keep maintenance on it, you'll need to repaint every year or 2 for good measure. Luckily my 89 f350 dually 2wd didn't have this problem. However it did have the typical gas gauge tap out, anything over 1/4 tank and it tapped out. If you have this problem let me know, i have some info on fixing this.

All Clear