PDA

View Full Version : Stump Grinding Pics

Husky03
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Wow, I'm finally done. I can't feel my arms and my hands are bleeding, but it's over. 54 stumps stumps ground out. It took me around 6 hours solo. The grinder I rented for $175 was a piece of crap:hammerhead: The guy is putting in a basketball court here. Here is a before pic. You can't even see half of them.

Husky03
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
After the pain

jameson
06-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Tired arms? Bleeding hands? 6 Hours? I agree, you rented the wrong grinder! Hydraulics baby, hydraulics...no pushing or pulling and you dont even break a sweat, easy-peezy operation.

Looks good though.

Husky03
06-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the one I rented was not self propelled or anything and I bet it weighed at least 350 pounds. Not to mention the brake on the grinder broke after the second stump and I had to keep pulling the machine out of the hole I was digging. The hydro unit was $415 a day. That's an awful lot to take out on one customer. I don't get these kind of jobs enough to line them up and distribute that cost among several people.

jameson
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I feel your pain. I rented a unit like that years ago. Never again. Funny, I only did 2 stumps with that beast too.

J&R Landscaping
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
How is he going to put a basketball court in his backyard? I don't see a way with all the trees around! Maybe just a smaller court.

Husky03
06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't think it is going to be a full sized court. You can't really tell from the pics, but a court would fit like this \. Don't keep a black man from his basketball:laugh:

paolaken
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
it'll be nice and shady. looks like a good spot to me. should have gotten a dingo with stump grinder.

Dirty Water
06-07-2006, 09:20 PM
How far down did you grind them?

If he is having concrete poured he is going to need a good 12" or so excavated out, Those tiny stumps would have been easier to rip out with a larger mini ex, and you could have done the dig work for the concrete too.

Seems like a waste of money and time there.

topsites
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Tired arms? Bleeding hands? 6 Hours? I agree, you rented the wrong grinder! Hydraulics baby, hydraulics...no pushing or pulling and you dont even break a sweat, easy-peezy operation.

Looks good though.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say the teeth were dull. You really need your own stump grinder for this stuff, you can't resort to rentals on a machine that is as maintenance intensive as the stump grinder.
That's just from watching my friend in the tree business, I never seen someone complain so much about stump grinder teeth but after I saw what he had to go through to ensure a fast, no-nonsense afternoon of grinding, I could see where he was coming from.
The stump grinder is as maintenance intensive a machine as I have ever seen. Most everything else we do a lot of maintenance to, but you know as well as I do that you can let it go and it's awwwrite, not the stump grinder, it ain't awwwrite without.
Of course, hydraulics... I never saw a stump grinder that didn't have hydros, guess that could be the other reason.

dcgreenspro
06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
hope you priced it well. fifty stumps= 2500.00 min

boatdude
06-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Come on dcgreenspro...why are you trying to make him feel bad...that is not a $2,500 job. They look like 8 in. to 14 in. stumps and I think $50 per stump is not realistic.

I agree that you did not have the right tool for the job. Those non-self propelled ones you had are good if you just have a couple stumps...although for $175 you should have gotten a substantial machine. I have rented a vermeer SC252 for the day (keep it for 24 hours but get 8 hours on the engine meter) and it "only" cost $200. With that machine you would have been over at the neighbors looking for more stumps to grind in the afternoon and the only thing that might have been a little tired would have been your thumbs from working the hydraulic levers.

With that said, if the guy is really going to put a court in there that will require a piece of decent size earth moving equipment...using that to pop them out would have been the most efficient way to go.

I love stump grinders...a serious piece of machinery...and its what I hope to do when I give up my air conditioned office.

carcrz
06-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Shoulda got the one stated above. That thing is GREAT! I did about 35 stumps, started @ 8 & was done a little after 12. Never broke a sweat. Think it cost me something like 150 bucks.

Cut 2 Please
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't know where you can get $2500 for grinding 54 stumps, but I would love to go there. A more realistic price would have been approximately $500. With my machine I would have been done in an hour to hour and half. My hat is off to you for using a handlebar machine to do 54 stumps. You da Man!

dcgreenspro
06-09-2006, 04:09 PM
ok mybe you are right that fifty a stump is too much. i thought everything had to be cleaned up and leveled after finishing. cut 2 please, 10$ a stump, you might be selling yourself a little short.

Husky03
06-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I charged $470 for the job including equipment rental. I did try to cleanup and level everything off when finished. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I don't feel I made off to bad. BTW, the grinder was a Promark. I've never heard of them, but I'm not familiar with this kind of equipment.

Jamesgateslandscaping
06-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I would have used an excavator:weightlifter: , the stumps didn't look to big. Then I would have found a remote part of the property (looks to be of decent size) and just buried them:dizzy: I hate stump grinding and will only do it if I can pull them out with a mini ex. because its grouling work.:hammerhead: Btw, $470 seems like you let him off pretty easily...
James