PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel drive...how often?

Dirt Digger2
06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
just curious how often you guys actually use your 4 wheel drive...for me it's atleast once a week, between driving around the farm, pulling out bushes, driving wooded trails, etc...

jt5019
06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Mostly in the winter when im plowing maybe once or twice in the summer months.

olderthandirt
06-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Only when I plow and even then not very often

Dirty Water
06-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Never. We only have one seasion up here...rainy.

General Landscaping
06-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Wet boat ramps, big boat.......4WD:weightlifter:

Dirt Digger2
06-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Wet boat ramps, big boat.......4WD:weightlifter:

yea i hear that...we have a 21', boat and trailer weigh in around 5K...the only time our Jeep sees 4 wheel low is on the sandy ramp we use to pull the boat out at.

FearThisDeere
06-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Wet boat ramps (or gravel ramps), when I'm plowing, playing in the mud fields, or trying to pull my loaded dump trailer up my muddy driveway.

meathead1134
06-07-2006, 12:46 PM
I can usually get away with 2 wheel drive while plowing. But its nice to have on real slick surfaces

lawnspecialties
06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Out on the beach, pulling something across a property so I don't break traction, the occassional snow, and pulling my mower out of a ditch:laugh: I probably don't use my 4WD 5-6 times a year, but when I need it, I NEED IT. It's worth the cost compared to the trouble I'd be in without it.:)

Raven386
06-07-2006, 03:27 PM
if you mean for while your working. never. but seemings its been raining all day & yesterday tooo. i dont think it has come out of 4x4 today. cant work, mind as well have some fun!! ill post a couple pics when im finished...

jazak
06-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I use it all the time especailly when we use my buddies
F550 to haul the chipper into the backyards of my customers.(Sold my equipment waiting for the new stuff)

hosejockey2002
06-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Never. We only have one seasion up here...rainy

Hah, I'll take Sequim's 10 inches annual rainfall anytime.:)

stuffdeer
06-08-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't have 4WD, so I voted never.. :)

janb
06-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Never. We only have one seasion up here...rainy.
always, for the same reason... rainy, muddy, steep terrain, pulling heavy trailer... fortunatley I got my 'beater' ($500) '78 4x4 1T flatbed dump running yesterday (first time in 2 years); it is a great 'woods' truck.. I Use a CTD 1T dually for tugging equip around, but it is not as agile as the ole '360 gasser w/ 4.56 gears. she's pretty sorry looking ever since she ran down the hill full of gravel and without a driver, :confused: smashed thru a stand of alders

don't forget :nono: to chain vehicle to the dozer when you are pushing it out of a ditch by yourself :hammerhead: ... all I could do is sit on the dozer and :cry: ...while it went off on it's own 'demo-derby'. I went down and pulled it out of the trees with the crawler, then chained it to a tree and pulled the front fenders and bumper out from under it so I could drive home... The lights need adjustment :rolleyes: and new fenders / hood / core support would be nice :) fortunatley I have a spare cab somewhere out in the blackberries ... but for $500, I will wait, I have got alot of good out of it. hauling boulders / eco-blocks /

Gravel Rat
06-09-2006, 05:41 PM
There are days I wish I had 4wheeldrive because there are driveways here that will give you some grief. Some places I have gone with my 2wd F-Superduties (F-450) that I should have had 4wheeldrive I have has people ask if my truck is 4wheeldrive.

With 2wd dually trucks you got to plan ahead and never ever get in a situation that you know you can't get out of. After 11 or so years of running 2wd dually flatdeck trucks you eventually learn where you can go :laugh:

Trying to find lwb dually cab and chassis 4x4 are hard to find when I first started trucking in 95. If you wanted a F-350 4x4 with a 161wb and diesel 5spd in the 90s era trucks you pretty much had to order one right from the factory. Today the diesel trucks are very very rare you can find 92-97 models with the 460s but who wants a truck with the 460 gas pot.

I bought my first F-Superduty (F-450) back in 1999 it converted me from the 1 ton to the 1.5 ton best move I made. Still stuck with 2wd but the carrying capacity went from 4000lbs to 7000lbs and the truck could stop nothing better than 4wheel disk brakes a truck with rear drum brakes just can't stop with heavy loads.

The F-450 was 460 powered I wasn't a diesel convert then I'am now you can't give me a gasser. When your grossing close to 18000lbs with almost 9000lbs of gravel in the box the 460 was a tad thirsty. Sold it bought a F-Superduty with IDI power better fuel economy I went from 6mpg gas to 12mpg diesel but I ended up with traction troubles. I went from a truck that had a 750lb or so gas to a 1000lb diesel I found out how fast front tires sink when you have a diesel. Now I have a PSD powered F-Superduty same front end sinking if the ground isn't hard as pavement the front wheels will sink. The rear wheels don't have enough traction with a unladen to push the front wheels the diesel trucks are so front axle heavy.

To sum it up is 4wheeldrive worth it yes it is but it is expensive to repair and more parts to repair. I have been without 4wheeldrive for so long now that I'am used to one wheel spin you just have to do things differently. I don't have the urge to go wheeling I got that out of my system during the highschool days when I had a 4x4 P/U. For me now 4wheeldrive would be for conveinence its not something you use on a daily basis but when you need it its there.

One last thing the contractor I worked for I had a company truck it was 2wd 3/4 ton Chevy P/U that truck would get stuck on a banana peal. It was horrible where I could go with my 2wd F-450 the 3/4 ton just spun wheels so not all 2wds are bad for traction.

lawnmaniac883
06-09-2006, 07:19 PM
This is a great question/poll mainly because I see 4wd trucks all the time and I bet they NEVER actually engage 4wd or plan to go offroading. Hell, offroading is funner with 2wd anyway...till ya get stuck that is.

mike lane lawn care
06-09-2006, 08:03 PM
well, we use 4 wheel drive in the jeep a lot in the winter as we get it pretty bad. also we use the 4 wheel "full time" mode (in a jeep i believe 4 wheeel full time is something like AWD, where each wheel can spin at a different speed and part time is when the wheels are locked together) when i am on a loose dirt road in the mountains, or even durring a bad rain storm on the turnpike, the MPG isn't off too much, but the fact that you have that much more traction is a big safety advantage.

rfed32
06-09-2006, 08:12 PM
in winters when i plow in summers when i pull a 14foot trailer or my trailer with mulch

jtkplc
06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
pulling my mower out of a ditch:laugh: I probably don't use my 4WD 5-6 times a year, but when I need it, I NEED IT. It's worth the cost compared to the trouble I'd be in without it.:)

yep, me too...

gammon landscaping
06-11-2006, 12:53 AM
i bought my truck almost 4 years ago and when i went to pick it up i reached down and turn the hubs in and i have only taken them out only when i took it on long road trips. i sew alot of grass and when pulling the strawblower through prepped ground you don't want to spin and rut any more than you have to. plus my parking break cable broke a month or so back, so 4 wheel low in 1 gear helps it park on a hill