PDA

View Full Version : Not very happy with my bobcat S250

start2finish
06-06-2006, 10:36 PM
my machine is a S250 and is 18 months old and has 550 hours on it . all 4 drive chains have to be completely replaced. they are streched, the dealer is a week behind on the work and has no explanation as to why they are damaged. The only good news is the extended warranty will pay for the work. But we have to pay for shipping. probably will not have another Bobcat...........

ksss
06-07-2006, 02:27 AM
This is why I don't understand why having the ability to adjust the chains is a bad thing. Bobcat markets their nonadjustable chain case as a positive thing. I have had only one chain adjustment on my machines. It sure is better to be able to adjust them as opposed to replacing them. Especially when the machine comes off of warranty. My guess is they will find something wrong with that machine when they tear it down. Something must be out of spec to cause the chains to stretch like that in such a short amount of time. If they don't find anything I would be worried. They may stretch again and you may be out of warranty the next time.

Tigerotor77W
06-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Did you buy the machine used?

start2finish
06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
no brand new, also bought an extended warranty. The bobcat is at the dealer we purchased from. They would not give us a loaner either, but offered to rent a machine to us. Our next machine will not be a bobcat!

Scag48
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Ouch, no loaner? That is BS.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
i would call corporate and pitch a fit on no loaner

start2finish
06-07-2006, 08:22 PM
they claim it is their policy only to loan on a machine with less than 100 hours. says alot about reliability.

Tigerotor77W
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I just noticed that you're in NC -- I'm in Sanford right now. What dealer is this?

I hope it's not a reliability issue that's behind the loaner policy -- but it does sound silly otherwise.

Scag48
06-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Under 100 hours? That's terrible service, sorry you got tied up with a loser dealer.

start2finish
06-07-2006, 09:05 PM
PIEDMONT BOBCAT, in Kernersville. They also have stores in Ashboro as well as Asheville.

you know, if they didn't have anything avaliable thats one thing, but we called about a popping noise and we asked to bring it in immediately. Well I explained that we needed it bad and it still worked fine, just there was something seriously wrong (we were 100 miles from home working that day) We were told that if we had the machine in first thing the next morning they would tear it down and order necessary parts and hope to have it done by Friday (3 days). Well it has been there over a week. We need the machine right now, we are building a swimming pool and I am having to move dirt twice with the excavator instead of having help with the bobcat (i already hauled off the excess, loaded with excavator as it was dug out.) I talked with my kubota salesman and he offered to bring me a demo (takehuchi, new holland, or asv) if it would help us out. I am reluctant to take him up on this because it isn't his problem. The dealer that sold us the machine, sells us filters and oil should take care of their customers.

Tigerotor77W
06-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Sounds like it's time to take a look at Gregory Poole... I hate to dismiss the S250, but this story sounds more and more like a case-in-point scenario where the machine is a good machine (or, in your case, seems to have some of the lemon-ness that Doug's Deere also exhibits) but the dealer is lacking.

I'm not amused by this type of inattention from a Bobcat dealer (and granted they could be super busy this time of year), but I'm wearing different colors for the summer so I have nothing good to say.

M RASCOE&SONS
06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
after you get your machine back i would wright the owner and the service dept and sales rep and tell them how unhappy you are with their service and how that being all the business you give them you should have had a loaner and that will come into play from this point forward,but if you beat the daylights out of your machine and they could notice it when you dropped it off ,i wouldnt be passing out any loaners either,i guess its all in the maintenance and where you buy your machines from this day forward..goodluck

AWJ Services
06-07-2006, 10:28 PM
they claim it is their policy only to loan on a machine with less than 100 hours. says alot about reliability

One of the Largest Cat dealers in Georgia has the same stament in there fine print.
I have a frind who owns 10 pieces of compact equipment form them and informed me of this.He even showed me it in the sales papers.
He pays for loaners after 100 hrs.

start2finish
06-07-2006, 10:42 PM
any business that takes care of their customers like this has too much business anyway and will not get mine. I have another dealer that we bought our excavator from (KX 161-3) offering a loaner to get us rolling again and these guys are talking about fine print and policies. I am concerned about having drive chains replaced at 550 hours, we have not been rough on the machine ,by the way the machine has every option avaliable, pilot joysticks, power bob tach, air-heat,computer security,extra insulation, deluxe seat etc.. oh well live and learn,

ksss
06-08-2006, 01:07 AM
I have never paid for a loaner in 12 years no matter how many hours the machine had on it. It doesn't matter if it is under warranty or not. That is a bogus policy.

Tigerotor77W
06-08-2006, 06:45 AM
I'm still convinced the chains were not installed or manufactured correctly -- Bobcat chaincases typically *don't* require a massive overhaul, and certainly not at 550 hours! If you're interested in dealing with Bobcat, you might as well try to get your dealer to look into it. Your machine might not be white, but you'll have to work with Piedmont until the useful life of this one is gone -- so might as well see if they can get ahold of one of the service engineers to see what originally happened with your chains.

Fordsuvparts
06-08-2006, 08:15 AM
I would remind them how much you have spent with them, and that money can spent with another dealer if they don't want to take care of you. I have dealt with cat and bobcat in the last few years and have had problems with both machines, but my sales reps has helped me out every time, either with a ( demo loader) or a reduced price on a rental for a few days. With my new bobcat t190 , when it had a problem with 150 hours they arranged for us to us a 300 as a demo for the three days the other machiner took to be repaired.

start2finish
06-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I called the service manager about the chains, I still have to have a working relationship with the dealer even though I am not happy. I haven't made a big deal about the loaner. We discussed the chains and he couldn't give a explaination for the damage. Especially since the machine has the pilot controls, sometimes he will see a machine dogged out with standard controls that someone has yanked on things and rammed stumps that this happens to. He confimed my assertion that the owners run or supervise the operation of the machine and we have been careful. He stated that the overall condition of the machine makes him believe such.

AintNoFun
06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
i would call the sales dept. up and tell them your looking to upgrade to a larger machine have them bring a demo out and use that then send it back...

Scag48
06-08-2006, 07:11 PM
i would call the sales dept. up and tell them your looking to upgrade to a larger machine have them bring a demo out and use that then send it back...

Then he'd just be paying higher rental fees on a larger machine.

start2finish
06-15-2006, 10:24 PM
finally picked up the machine today, they forgot to put all the bolts in a couple of covers, grease and oil on machine nasty from the shop. This is bullshit. I have made a call to bobcat's regional manager and am awaiting a return call.

Tigerotor77W
06-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Probably a good choice -- good luck.

Mike33
06-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a dealer issue , i have had 3 bobcats and good luck. 1 thing you might check is i have a 185 and the main hyd. hose broke due to it rubbed against something it shoud not have. When we replaced it we put a old rad. hose over it for a sleve so it would not happen again. We ran in to another contactor on a job with us about the same hours he blew the same hose due to this problem. Check yours before it does it makes 1 hell of a mess.
mike

Itsgottobegreen
06-16-2006, 09:01 PM
damn the dealers around here will give you a loaner even if you bought the machine used from them.

TXTom
06-16-2006, 11:36 PM
1 thing you might check is i have a 185 and the main hyd. hose broke due to it rubbed against something it shoud not have.

Mike- Where is the hose you are talking about?

Thanks,
Tom

Mike33
06-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Mike- Where is the hose you are talking about?

Thanks,
Tom
You have to tilt your cab you have 2 main hoses coming off your hyd. pump you need 1 quarter inch wrench. On the 185 the domb asses ran the hose and it rubs against the cavity. If yours is like this disconnect and slide a rad hose over it like a sleeve or really just slit a piece of hose and put over it in that area that rubs. Trust me you dont want it to rub and brake you will not move and you will have one hell of a mess. Like 10 gal. of fluid flying every where. Mine broke in a gravel drive way and the mess was still bad. It happened around 1100 hours. 2 weeks ago we was on a job and another contactor was working there with a 185 he thought the pump went until we told him that it was prpbably just the hose. Sure enough it was and his was rubbing also and it happened with 1050 hours. I consider this sloppy workman ship when some domb ass runs a hose like this against a piece of steel.
Mike

TXTom
06-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Mike33,

Thanks for the tip. I will check my hoses the next time the cab is up for cleaning. I am only at 250hrs.

Later,
Tom

xcopterdoc
06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I've been turning wrenches on Bobcats for many years. The last one I personally maintained since new now has over 3000 hrs on it. No chain work. The old horse of the fleet... a 964 with 11k on it... no chain work. Most of the chain work I have done has been on the smaller machines.. 700 series especially. My back still hurts!! Anyway...
I've had good luck here in NC by contacting the regional SERVICE rep. All Bobcat dealers as far as I know are independantly owned. But a quick call to IR will get you to the service rep. Never had a problem with them returning my calls.
Grease, oil, nasty crap like that and missing bolts is BS.. period. Gives all of us who are REAL professional mechanics a bad rap.
Rubbing/chafing lines... yup... there's a bunch of em. The 2 main ones being the hyd hoses from the pump to the loader control valve. ( will be right under yur right butt cheek) Lift the lid and have a look see at every service.

start2finish
10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Update to this thread, I have since spoke with the owner of Piedmont Bobcat and have resolved the issue. It seems to have been a communication problem in the scheduling and the other items have been resolved. The fact the the chains were streched at 550 hours has also been addressed.

Sometimes we forget that the problems we encounter are not nearly as important as how they get resolved.

also I said that the next machine we bought would not be a bobcat, We are almost ready to buy a T300, (still trying to decide between the T300 and TL150 tak.) I may have to eat those words..

Tigerotor77W
10-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Go Bobcat!

I mean, go Cat!

I'm just glad the issue got worked out. Can you share details on why the chains were stretched?

start2finish
10-30-2006, 09:21 PM
over the tire steel tracks on the machine 95% of the time. While they are not needed most times we neglect to remove them due to time and labor costs associated with removal. The added stress of the tracks has contributed to the failure of the chains. We also are working on more finished surfaces (concrete,asphalt) and requires removal of the tracks, more time lost. As well as needing to travel and work in adverse conditions that require the additional floatation and traction, but still needing to go down a driveway to retrieve block or load our truck. Now it is time to upgrade.

G ZMAN
10-31-2006, 10:21 AM
You could always buy a Deere...they offer the ability to adjust the chains...only if needed.

Pave_A_Lot
10-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Ouch, never had anything major go wrong with our s250 its a year old with 568hrs the only problem with this mechine is it is very "jumpy" but other than that its an okay skider

P.S. does your s250 Bogg itself down when you get a bucket full from a large pile?